Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need everyones help

Need everyones help

Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Need everyones help

The other day a group of us Adelaide wives got together and decided it really would be a good idea to set something up to help newly arrived British immigrants to Adelaide. I know not all of you are coming here, but can you give us an idea of the things you would really love to have at hand, regarding help and support? What would you want?

For those already here, what DIDNT you have that you wished you did?

I shall make a list of all sensible requests!

Many thanx in advance
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:14 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in canada one of the cities I lived in had a "welsh society". The had picnics, bbq's, family days and nights out.
I wouldnt have a clue how you would go about starting something similar.

Good luck though
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I know hwat you mean Luke..i been wondering where the hell to start too!!...but i thought getting ideas of things needed is as good as any...we already have an Adlaide Brits site and thats how we have all started to get together, but this is more of standard kind of helpline type thing...well maybe not but you get my drift...people wouldnt have ot join a "club" just ask for help and support if they need it... if htey feeling homesick, dont know where to go for something, stuff like that...it might even take on a completely different identity, but this is where we are starting.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Hi PP

How about a little meet and greet party a few days after they arrive. Perhaps you could go around to where the new people are staying and have a cuppa and a chat, take along some maps, addresses for Medicare, banks, post office, local supermarkets etc etc.

And maybe if they are living locally to some other expats, you could introduce them so that they have a local person to call on if needed.

Just my thoughts.

Regards
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Excellent idea Jay... i shall write that down.

Best not to make it a "must do" though, as some people just arent sociable...LOL, but i think it is certainly a very good idea to put on the list.
I do have some ideas already, but i think it good to get other people views too.

Thanx Jay
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:34 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need everyones help

[QUOTE]Originally posted by podgypossum
The other day a group of us Adelaide wives got together

Was Yul Brynner there too ?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bus and/or train timetables might be useful; internet cafes (for the Expats addiction), and local sources for monile phone SIM cards perhaps.

Tis a good idea Podgy, best of luck with it - if I was in Adelaide I'd join you!
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:42 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

welcome to british council australia
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

wow..thanx you guys.. getting some really good stuff..

i'm scribbling away

Interesting site Meg

Polly..nothing for it..you you'll to move.. we need you
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:58 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered something:

In Canada we also had a thing called "welcome wagon" Its mostly a group of local businesses that support it and basically what its all about is:

someone moves into the community, they receive a lil brochure in the post together with some coupons for free gifts. The brochure contains a local business directory with addy's and numbers of just about all a newcomer could possibly be looking for.

I think if you want to start something along those lines, you would definately get some support from local businesses by way of buying advertising space. Through your own experience of being a migrant brit you would have first hand knowledge of the good and the bad businesses and therefore you only approach the good guys, telling them that you are willing to promote their business to newcomers.
Start first with the real estate agents because they are the first to meet migrants. thats how you get the persons addy, or you can have the real estate agent hand out the brochures.

Of course, people on this forum would already know about you and what you offer.

Hope theres some ideas here for ya Ms Possum

Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Luke..you realy should come down here..i'll ask the ladies if you can be marketing manager...
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:45 am
Banned

Originally posted by podgypossum
Luke..you realy should come down here..i'll ask the ladies if you can be marketing manager...
LOL but Ive only been here in oz for about 20 months on a 3 month visa, I cant work. Mind you, if the woman wont sponsor me on a de facto visa, maybe you can sponsor me as skilled migrant pom welcomer LMAO
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

OMG..are you an illegal alien?
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:59 am
Banned

LMAO Nooooooooo

My partner got preggers while visiting me in Canada. I had to be here for the birth which was july 2002 so I came june 2002. Stayed 3 months then went to uk for a couple of months. Then I came back on 3 month visa and have made a short trip to Auckland at the end of my visa so I could come back in. This visa ran out first week of December and I didnt want another trip to Auckland so I extended it online for another 3 months til march 03 2004. It has a "no further stay" clause so I have a ticket booked for the end of feb to London, where I will work for about 6 months and either apply for de facto visa or come back, marry then apply from within oz.
I planned on migrating anyway, the baby plus sep 11 made the trip more urgent (I was working in airline manufacturing and was laid off in oct after wtc in new york) but I wasnt in the position to migrate at the time.

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Jan 18th 2004 at 1:01 am.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:16 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi PP, Just a couple of ideas to add to your welcome pack..

Rental agents - or is that covered by the real estate agents?

Car dealers - reputable (is there such a thing?)

Local bank branch addresses for each area and maybe the latest leaflets if they do them.

A notes page with the must do's and by when for PR people, eg driving licence/rego, TFN, Medicare, with contact addresses.

And the "good idea to" eg private health insurance, sort out pensions/investments in the UK (I'm not suggesting we give advice on how, just to mention it's something to think about).

It's all the stuff we've been asking each other about on the forum really.

I think the meet N greet coffee and chat after a few days would be a great idea, assuming you can make contact with newly arrived people. It's the first few days of strangeness that can be hard I reckon, you feel really stupid cos you don't know the ropes.

How to get around by public transport, stuff like that that often you don't think about in advance. Its good fun finding out but when everything is new it can be a bit nerve racking.

Sorry will stop rambling now,

Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.