Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need a Brisbane Solicitor who is expert in the FIRB process

Need a Brisbane Solicitor who is expert in the FIRB process

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Gowah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a Brisbane Solicitor who is expert in the FIRB process

I am in Brisbane on a 457 visa and I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a new house. Can anyone recommend a Brisbane solicitor for the conveyancing but who is also expert in getting a quick and best value decision from the FIRB process ?

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:59 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need a Brisbane Solicitor who is expert in the FIRB process

You certainly don't need to spend money etc on a solicitor for this process. Just do it online ( http://www.firb.gov.au/content/application_form.asp). However, you do need to make the contract for sale subject to FIRB approval, otherwise you will be in breach of the rules. FIRB also need to see sight of this term of the contract when you send the application in.

If you want to call me to discuss this then pm me and I will let you know my telephone number.

I, and many others on here, have done this.

Edit: When I say this process, I mean the FIRB application or rules. All can be found online at http://www.firb.gov.au/content/faq.asp?NavID=7

Last edited by Vanessa; Nov 3rd 2007 at 7:01 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:53 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gowah
I am in Brisbane on a 457 visa and I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a new house. Can anyone recommend a Brisbane solicitor for the conveyancing but who is also expert in getting a quick and best value decision from the FIRB process ?

Thanks
I didn't think you need FRIB for brand new homes, only for second hand?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:56 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I didn't think you need FRIB for brand new homes, only for second hand?
You could be right, the FIRB foreign investment review board, would be for foreigners buying a brand new home ( un occupied )

I would have thought any conveyancing solicitor could help you.

Surely the FIRB website, lists some faqs with regard to procedure?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:00 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
You could be right, the FIRB foreign investment review board, would be for foreigners buying a brand new home ( un occupied )

I would have thought any conveyancing solicitor could help you.

Surely the FIRB website, lists some faqs with regard to procedure?
I'm sure you don't need FIRB approval IF it is your home that you are going to live in.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I'm sure you don't need FIRB approval IF it is your home that you are going to live in.
isnt a 457 a temp visa? which would imply you are not a 100% resident.. which would imply you are a foreigner?
The unoccupied bit, means that the home must be new and unoccupied at time of purchase
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the comments to date. I am reasonably familiar with the FIRB rules in relation to a 457 visa holder, i.e. no problem if never previously occupied new build and less than 50% of development is sold to "foreigners"; or self build on new plot of land, etc. However, there is a very fine line in the less than 50% criteria, so I do not want to find myself in the position of having to immediately sell the property if I ultimately decide to leave Australia, whilst still on a 457 visa.

Thus, I want to engage a solicitor that already has a good established relationship with the FIRB so that a quick and liberal decision is obtained from the FIRB. I need to move into my selected property before this Christmas.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:42 am
Banned

Thanks for all the comments to date. I am reasonably familiar with the FIRB rules in relation to a 457 visa holder, i.e. no problem if never previously occupied new build and less than 50% of development is sold to "foreigners"; or self build on new plot of land, etc. However, there is a very fine line in the less than 50% criteria, so I do not want to find myself in the position of having to immediately sell the property if I ultimately decide to leave Australia, whilst still on a 457 visa.

Thus, I want to engage a solicitor that already has a good established relationship with the FIRB so that a quick and liberal decision is obtained from the FIRB. I need to move into my selected property before this Christmas.
so basically you want to buy a FIRB approved home, and should the need arise, be able to rent it out when you leave the country??
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Yes that is correct.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:07 pm
Banned

Yes that is correct.
Item 20.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=5&gl=au