Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nationality of our daughter born in OZ?

Nationality of our daughter born in OZ?

Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Nationality of our daughter born in OZ?

Hi all,

We are English living here on permanent residency visa's, our daughter was born at Frankston Hospital, Melbourne.

Is she Australian or English or both?

Thanks,
65KK
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nationality of our daughter born in OZ?

Originally Posted by 65 million
Hi all,

We are English living here on permanent residency visa's, our daughter was born at Frankston Hospital, Melbourne.

Thanks,
65KK
Oz

WW
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Oz

WW
Thanks WW.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

She's both.

If you travel back to the UK for a holiday though, you can get a British passport and return on a 'visa-like' document which costs the same as an Aussie passport for her.

I don't know what she needs to do to prove she's British if she goes over there to work when she's older. I guess she could just apply for a UK passport.

If she lives in Australia all her life though, I don't think her kids get to be British. IIRC that right was withdrawn a few years back. If she lives in the UK you'd have British grandkids though.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

Thanks,
65KK
I didn't know the answer but just wanted to say congratulations on the birth of your daughter - I hope you are both well.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markcrook
I didn't know the answer but just wanted to say congratulations on the birth of your daughter - I hope you are both well.

Many thanks, she's a 'real beaut" as they'd say over here, just been made redundant though, so hope I can find something quickly to keep the $'s comming in. Frightening times!

Thanks,
65KK
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:00 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Register her birth with the British Embassy and get her a passport asap. Also an Oz one. She will thank you in later life. Trust me! Heres one for you. I'm Scottish and my wife is Thai. We will be moving to Oz in 4 weeks for the foreseeable future. We plan on haveing kids in the next few years. So when he/she is born. Technically they will be able to have 3 passports. Thai, British and Oz. Easy life for them

Congrats BTW!

Last edited by Jockstar; Sep 14th 2006 at 12:16 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:03 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks,
65KK
Congratulations

Both
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Register her birth with the British Embassy and get her a passport asap. Also an Oz one. She will thank you in later life. Trust me! Heres one for you. I'm Scottish and my wife is Thai. We will be moving to Oz in 4 weeks for the foreseeable future. We plan on haveing kids in the next few years. So when he/she is born. Technically they will be able to have 3 passports. Thai, British and Oz. Easy life for them

Congrats BTW!

Hi Jockstar

Congrats on the spouse visa. Hopefuly in a few years when your bambinos arrive they will be able to get a 'Scottish' passport.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Nationality of our daughter born in OZ?

Hi all,

Thanks,
65KK
Both; dual citizenship at birth.

I am about to give birth in Australia. Will my child be an Australian citizen?

A child is an Australian citizen by birth if, and only if, at least one parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth in Australia.

See: Form 975i - Australian citizenship by birth
citizenship.gov.au

However, her children will not automatically receive British citizenship; they will need to apply for it on the basis of descent.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 6:04 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

We have the problem that if we ever have a child in another country it cant be British!!!!
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:54 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks,
65KK
At least she'll be Australian. If Howard has his way, you, your OH and just about every other migrant who isn't a citizen already won't.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Australian. Use form 119 to confirm this with a citizenship cert (fee AUD55), it will save hassle later on:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf

And get her an Australian passport.

She's probably British too - apply to British High Commission for a British passport for her.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
We have the problem that if we ever have a child in another country it cant be British!!!!

Why is that?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:58 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Are you British by decent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.