Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which nationalities are in Perth?

Which nationalities are in Perth?

Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

jetsetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which nationalities are in Perth?

I've heard Melbourne has many people of Greek descent and was wondering what nationalities Perth is made up of?

I'm a well travelled 29 yo single Scottish guy moving there on PR visa next month (kilt and all) and am looking forward to meeting loads of people in Perth.

Must say I have a real soft spot for Dutch girls having worked in the Netherlands on several occasions.

Cheers,

Jet
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, you will get on well with Simone then, she's dutch.
My Thai friend reckons there is a large Thai community, I also know of some Greeks, lots of Irish and loads of Brits.
Might try now and get some hard info on the demographics.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:01 pm
PommieLeague

Default Re: Which nationalities are in Perth?

Originally posted by jetsetter
I've heard Melbourne has many people of Greek descent and was wondering what nationalities Perth is made up of?

I'm a well travelled 29 yo single Scottish guy moving there on PR visa next month (kilt and all) and am looking forward to meeting loads of people in Perth.

Must say I have a real soft spot for Dutch girls having worked in the Netherlands on several occasions.

Cheers,

Jet
Which nationality? Well thousands upon thousands of people in Perth are from a small island just off the coast of France aka Great Britain, and Perth is in a sense still a 'colony' of the UK!

Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:10 pm
wombat42

The largest ethnic group in Perth (WA) is the Poms who make up 43% of the overseas born population then new Zealanders 8%, the largest non-English speaking group is the ltalians, 5%, large numbers moved to Perth from ltaly after ww2 and ltalian is the most common language spoken after English, Malaysians make up 4% and lndians 3%, Dutch 2% and South Africans 2%. Perth seems to be the most popular destination in Australia for white South Africans leaving the country because of the violence.

Last edited by wombat42; Jun 26th 2004 at 9:16 pm.

Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Had a nightmare trying to get some hard stats, will have to leave that to the rest of the forum!
Let us know what you find out, its quite interesting.

Just saw Wombat's post... ta!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:21 pm
PommieLeague

You jump on a Transperth bus and the driver has either a scouse or Glaswiegan accent.
Go into many shops and hear cockneys or Brummies!

Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Watch out for the huge creole wearing, men bashing contingency from Pompey!!!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Larissa
Watch out for the huge creole wearing, men bashing contingency from Pompey!!!
Cheers Larissa - I have been warned! I'll listen out for those "Ooo ar" south coast accents!
Good luck in selling your house. If i win the lottery - consider it sold!
2% Dutch - thats 1% Dutch females (maybe) - there is hope. Also, cant rule out the south africans!

Cheers
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all

Whilst in Perth, I worked for an Italian family business, I dont know if it was just my experience but I found in Vic park/East Vic park areas half the people you meet were of Italian desent, I must say they were EXTREMLY friendly, welcoming and just good people to know for the most part.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 1:29 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
Lol, you will get on well with Simone then, she's dutch.
lol! But I am married And half Australian, or more....

Hmm, a friend of the family's daughter is Dutch, single, 23, living in northern suburbs But living in Oz since she was 6, so really Australian. Still got Dutch nationality though, I think.
And born in Curacoa (one of those dutch caribieen islands)...
Well, at least she's blonde, I'm not!

Can't find any stats either, but Wombat's sound about right.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Em.G is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

Jet

I'm moving there too and would be interested in what Perth is like to live in!!! Do you know any good areas to live? Someone has suggested Cottlesloe?? I'm currently living in the south but a Geordie through and through!!

Em
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:13 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Em.G
I'm moving there too and would be interested in what Perth is like to live in!!! Do you know any good areas to live? Someone has suggested Cottlesloe?? I'm currently living in the south but a Geordie through and through!!

Em
Hi Em

Cottlesloe is pricey as are the surrounding suburbs. South of the Swan River is cheaper, we are moving to Leeming, About 12k from the city and close to the freeway for access as well as Freemantle of course. Depends how much cash you've got to spend on accomodation.

I'm a Geordie too, there are a few of us across there and proud of it (oh, I feel I'm breaking into a song here)

Walla
Old Jun 27th 2004, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Simone
lol! But I am married And half Australian, or more....

Hmm, a friend of the family's daughter is Dutch, single, 23, living in northern suburbs But living in Oz since she was 6, so really Australian. Still got Dutch nationality though, I think.
And born in Curacoa (one of those dutch caribieen islands)...
Well, at least she's blonde, I'm not!

Can't find any stats either, but Wombat's sound about right.

Don't worry Simone - I won't be sending you flirtatious PMs!!

Sounds like I'm gonna have to conduct my own market research after arriving.

I used to work for a famous Dutch/Anglo Oil company and visited Den Helder and Alkmaar several times - happy memories!

Roll on Perth now - 1 month to go
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:15 am
ABCDiamond

This web site should give you plenty of info for almost any area you want to look at.

eg: Perth 2001 stats for country of birth

842,978 Australia
2,845 Canada
5,034 China
4,783 Croatia
1,419 Egypt
485 Fiji
1,372 France
7,657 Germany
2,965 Greece
3,407 Hong Kong
12,116 India
7,301 Indonesia
7,676 Ireland
20,611 Italy
1,315 Korea, Republic of
792 Lebanon
3,012 Macedonia, FYROM
16,698 Malaysia
889 Malta
7,969 Netherlands
32,544 New Zealand
4,187 Philippines
5,650 Poland
9,734 Singapore
13,587 South Africa
2,751 Sri Lanka
681 Turkey
164,488 United Kingdom
4,999 United States of America
9,717 Viet Nam
4,093 Yugoslavia, Federal Republic of
57,551 Born elsewhere overseas
64,086 Not stated

1,325,392 Total

Old Jun 28th 2004, 9:53 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry Simone - I won't be sending you flirtatious PMs!!

Sounds like I'm gonna have to conduct my own market research after arriving.

I used to work for a famous Dutch/Anglo Oil company and visited Den Helder and Alkmaar several times - happy memories!

Roll on Perth now - 1 month to go
lol!

Well, good luck!

We lived in Alkmaar for 6 weeks when we came back from Australia. But, being used to country Oz, we quickly(and after job problem), moved to eastern country Holland.
All our family lives that way though(Zaandam, in between Amsterdam en Alkmaar)

Seeya in Perth maybe one day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.