Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Bank Customer Service

National Bank Customer Service

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy National Bank Customer Service

Hi

Is it me or it it Ozy banking in general? I mean is customer service an oxymoron?
I had a First Direct account in the UK for yonks and did all of my banking online or on the phone. When glitches occurred they were always quick to help and iron them out. For instance pass words. You know the usual questions - memorable date, pet's name, was you grandmother a communist? Tonight I needed to reset my telephone and online pass word so I get asked one question and I appear to give the wrong answer. I have the bank statement in front of me and I still don't seem able to give them the correct answer to this one question - so I say "Ask me another question". The reply oh no, we cannot ask another question until you have answered the first correctly. Therefore you will not be able to access you account until you visit a National Bank in person.
But ask me any other security question I please in desperation. The response - Non - No - Niet -Zilch

Am I alone in thinking the quality of customer service in banks in poorer than in the UK? Does Ozy HSBC fair any better? I see they charge for services here that are free in the UK
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Bank Customer Service

Originally Posted by Ian12
Hi

Is it me or it it Ozy banking in general? I mean is customer service an oxymoron?
I had a First Direct account in the UK for yonks and did all of my banking online or on the phone. When glitches occurred they were always quick to help and iron them out. For instance pass words. You know the usual questions - memorable date, pet's name, was you grandmother a communist? Tonight I needed to reset my telephone and online pass word so I get asked one question and I appear to give the wrong answer. I have the bank statement in front of me and I still don't seem able to give them the correct answer to this one question - so I say "Ask me another question". The reply oh no, we cannot ask another question until you have answered the first correctly. Therefore you will not be able to access you account until you visit a National Bank in person.
But ask me any other security question I please in desperation. The response - Non - No - Niet -Zilch

Am I alone in thinking the quality of customer service in banks in poorer than in the UK? Does Ozy HSBC fair any better? I see they charge for services here that are free in the UK
As frustrating as it sounds, the tight security is for your benefit... rather than someone stealing info from you and trying to get info on your balance etc.

The UK is tightening up its procedures too to avoid further fraud, theft etc
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:57 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

I would seriously stay away from HSBC. We were with them when we first came here and they don't explain anything and were really unhelpful.
We are now with Westpac and they seem pretty helpful most of the time - except when it came to getting credit cards and explaining tax free earnings versus taxable earning (Salary packaging)
All customer service over the phone seems to be going pretty downhill here and I just give up and ask for a manager or senior member of staff now.
By the way have you had the tax on cheques explained to you?

Sass

Hi

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sass73
I would seriously stay away from HSBC. We were with them when we first came here and they don't explain anything and were really unhelpful.
We are now with Westpac and they seem pretty helpful most of the time - except when it came to getting credit cards and explaining tax free earnings versus taxable earning (Salary packaging)
All customer service over the phone seems to be going pretty downhill here and I just give up and ask for a manager or senior member of staff now.

Sass
I am keeping an eye on this thread as I want to be a Bank Manager in Oz when we get over there. Had a couple of positive responses, but looks like there may be a niche for improvement.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Sass
Thanks for the posts. Of course I understand the need for security but what I have found is that there is often little in the way of initiative. In the event I did go back on the phone and luckily the second person I spoke too used her imagination a bit and I was able to get the info I needed. I think taxes on cheques must be a Victoria thing. I did wonder if HSBC would be poor here. I wonder if others feel that customer service here is on a lower level than the UK?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
I am keeping an eye on this thread as I want to be a Bank Manager in Oz when we get over there. Had a couple of positive responses, but looks like there may be a niche for improvement.
Good Luck - you could only improve things Seriously though I have to say I am one of First Direct's biggest fans. Over the years I was with them they were fantastic.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Good Luck - you could only improve things Seriously though I have to say I am one of First Direct's biggest fans. Over the years I was with them they were fantastic.
Hi Ian

I don't think its the National in particular maybe just that one person you happened to speak to (although they were only doing their job ....). We have two business accounts with the National and a personal account with the HSBC. The National have been very helpful when we needed them whilst buying a business and setting up a new account in a hurry but again it was one person in particular that we were dealing with and she was really good.

Bye for now.

Sam
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:43 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Sass
Tax on cheques? Please explain? I setup a Westpac account while visiting a mate in Colac - thinking I would prefer a branch that I could visit and people would know me. (excuse to visit me mate as well).
All my payments are done by direct debit. And I only take out cash once a month. Dont like banks they just make up fees to make more profit.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:23 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I think its called the BAD tax - for every cheque you write, you pay tax on the amount, and if your cheque book is on your everyday account, then every transaction gets taxed up to a maximum of $4. a time, regardless of whether it is a cheque or card payment. We only learnt this when we left HSBC where we had a cheque book and didn't use it much but still got taxed on every transaction.
We got a Westpac account that gives us 5 separate accounts under the one heading and only pay a fixed fee each month. One of the accounts has a cheque book attached and we only pay tax on that account.

Sass

Originally Posted by thebears
Tax on cheques? Please explain? I setup a Westpac account while visiting a mate in Colac - thinking I would prefer a branch that I could visit and people would know me. (excuse to visit me mate as well).
All my payments are done by direct debit. And I only take out cash once a month. Dont like banks they just make up fees to make more profit.