Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nasty Bite!!!!!!

Wikiposts

Nasty Bite!!!!!!

Old Dec 6th 2003, 11:50 am
Just Joined

LetsFlyAway is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by LetsFlyAway; Dec 6th 2003 at 9:37 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 11:53 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LetsFlyAway
I could not live in a country infested with so many dangers!
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
Old Dec 6th 2003, 11:59 am
Just Joined

LetsFlyAway is an unknown quantity at this point

ROFLMAO 2 U 2 (whatever that means)
Old Dec 6th 2003, 12:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LetsFlyAway
ROFLMAO 2 U 2 (whatever that means)
ROFLMAO = Rolling on the floor laughing my a*se off.

Sorry, no offense, but your comments are quite amusing to me & that one in particular was very ironic. In our country "full of dangers" the chance of me even getting bitten by (let alone dying of) a spider/snake or any of the other creepy crawlies (maybe best if we leave things like sharks & crocs to another thread ) are probably one thousandth the chance of you dying in a car crash in the UK. You've probably got more chance of dying after eating meat in the UK than you are of dying of a spider bite. Somehow I think I would risk it .

I have lived here for most of my 39 years, most of it on acreage & rural properties (where creepy crawlies tend to be more common than in the cities & suburbs) & I have never seen a spider as big as a hand. Yeah, they do get big, but the chances of you seeing one that big are almost infinitesimal, unless its in a zoo or some sort of collection. I cant even remember the last time I saw a snake outside of a reptile park etc, most of the time they are so busy running away from you that you would be flat out catching one even if you chased it. Dagboy saw one at our house that we live at now (acreage property) last year & it was gone before he could even register what it was. I havent seen one for about 5 or 6 years at least.

Thats not to say you wont ever see spiders (which are a hell of alot more common than snakes), but the chance of them being dangerous/biting you/you dying are extremely, extremely remote.

Have fun in New Zealand, if you think that there arent any spiders there, Im afraid you are going to get a shock

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Dec 6th 2003 at 1:43 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 12:55 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to this thread but late.

Couple of years ago Mrs Rog was doing some light gardening (perhaps wearing her fingers down?) when she had a painful itching on her arm.

An hour later it was all swole up, but not so badly that it worried her. She was doing some shopping later that evening when the checkout girl spotted the bump, went all funny and said she had a brown recluse bite and should hie to the quack asap.

Ten minutes on Google convinced us that was the right approach!

Luckily it appeared to have been a quick, glancing opportunistic nibble rather than a real bite and little venom had gone in.

It still took well over a month to stop hurting, though, and the area felt "hollow" as if the flesh under the skin had liquefied. Even after several months the marks appeared on and off.

I would not like to have a recluse give me a real chew!
Old Dec 6th 2003, 4:12 pm
ABCDiamond

I saw a program on TV about 6 months ago, or more, where Timber & Steel goods from NZ coming into OZ were being checked for redback spiders. I got the impression, from that program, that the redback came from NZ ?

Old Dec 6th 2003, 5:03 pm
Rocket Scientist

Exactly ABC, they have both redbacks & white-tailed spiders as well as their own deadly one, the Katipo. In fact there are over 2000 species of spiders in New Zealand, maybe I had better not say anymore or lots of people will be burning their visas .

Spiders of New Zealand
Old Dec 6th 2003, 5:34 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, I was lying on the lounge all morning recovering from our work Christmas do last night and was watching a programme on Animal Planet about Australia's deadly creatures.

It covered crocodiles (60 attacks in the last 100 years - half the victims survived), sharks, sydney funnel web, crown of thorns starfish, box jellyfish, blue ringed octopus, coastal taipan, fierce snake, sea snakes, redbacks etc.

Most of these hardly ever kill people because the anti venom has been developed and also people hardly ever come into contact and get bitten. The programme reckoned the most dangerous in terms of number of hospital cases caused per year was the redback.

They then put it into perspective and pointed out that the most dangerous thing in Australia is man (particularly if he is in a car).

There are more cars per square mile in the UK - so where is safer?
Old Dec 6th 2003, 6:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very impressed you absorbed that lot after a good night out - obviously the red wine effect wore off quite quick??!!!

the most dangerous thing in Australia is man
- that bit is certainly food for thought!!!
Old Dec 6th 2003, 8:13 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Pollyana
I'm very impressed you absorbed that lot after a good night out - obviously the red wine effect wore off quite quick??!!!
Polly, I heard him groaning a bit & telling the boys to be quiet while he was lying there .
Hes only just come back to life at about 4pm, he was sleeping til then!
Old Dec 6th 2003, 8:32 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chunky
hmmm,
that's a very interesting point mr DUP.

I'm sure that if i'd taken a moment or two to think, then i may have deduced that one myself

but again, i only have bad luck, if it wasn't for that i'd have none at all. If i fell into a barrel full of nipples i'd come out sucking my bloody thumb lol.

Paul

This should make you feel prepared for when you 'go'!!LOL!!
http://www.promolife.com/products/sunbeam.htm

happy shopping!!

sue

ps - I found this by doing a search 'sonic pest repellant' on the Australian yahoo search engine. will look for a british supplier for you!!

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Dec 6th 2003 at 8:35 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 8:52 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Chunky, you will be releived to know there are HUNDREDS of suppliers in the uk, and plenty up north!!
did a jeeves search and it came up with 151, so that will keep you happy.
happy shopping....

sue
Old Dec 6th 2003, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Chunky is an unknown quantity at this point

sue, you are an angel.

Mr D , hope your night out was worth it.

Mr Rog, Scary stuff. Glad it's over.

I think the whole " problem " is that people generally only hear about the dangers ( or at least, they only digest the dangers ) when viewing these programs. After all, a program going on about safe and friendly animals doesn't draw the same audience as one where the critters can tear you limb from limb.

Pirahna's are another example, very rarely attack people but have a bad rap.

Paul.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Courtney will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
on a more serious note.

I have a slight problem when it comes to spiders.

Can anyone suggest ( other than " don't go " ) what precautions i could/ should take to ensure i never ( ever ) see one.

I fully intend to research different types before we ( if ever ) depart but at the moment, viewing the different types of spiders and the harm they can cause does not rank very high on my " to do " list as i believe this may have a negative impact on my desire to go.

Thanks, Paul
Hi there

I am Australian and for all the time I have lived in Oz I have only ever seen daddy long legs (which are harmless) and the Huntsman, which is I am sorry to say huge, black and hairy. But, they are also harmless, they will just give you a fright. You mainly see them out in a shed but may occassionally come inside. But, as far as anything else...snake etc...never seen one in my house!!!

Don't worry about it unless you are going to live in the outback?????

Courtney
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Chunky is an unknown quantity at this point

appologies,keyoardisgoosed.
severalkeysdo'twork.

hadareallygoodposttoo.

Paul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.