Reload this Page >

Nasty Bite!!!!!!

Wikiposts

Nasty Bite!!!!!!

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nasty Bite!!!!!!

Thought you would all like to see what happen when a recluse spider bites you (by the way dunno where it comes from as some kind person e-mailed it to me)

Hope your not all eating your dinner while reading this YUK!!!!!!!!!

Graham
Attached Thumbnails Nasty Bite!!!!!!-spider-bite.jpg  
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:40 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

:scared: :scared: where's the bucket!! :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Yeeeuck:scared:
I shall be avoiding those at all costs!!!!:scared:

Debs
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

ok, what is it ? and are there any within 200 miles of brisbane ?

I simply MUST know this lol.

Paul
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:35 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
ok, what is it ? and are there any within 200 miles of brisbane ?

I simply MUST know this lol.

Paul
lol

Recluse or fiddleback spiders; Genus Loxosceles.

Recluse spiders are widespread throughout the world, but are not native to Australia. However, a few specimens were accidentally introduced here in the early part of the 20th century and were again reported from Adelaide and Sydney in the 1970's. We do not know how common or how widely distributed they are in Australia.

Particularly in North and South America, recluse spiders are the major cause of necrotic arachnidism. Bites by these spiders can cause two medically important conditions; loxoscelism and viscerocutaneous loxoscelism.

Loxoscelism is a potentially severe disease caused by the bite of the recluse spider. The principle effect is local skin damage, caused by direct effects of venom components. In a typical case, the victim is often unaware of being bitten. Many bites occur in bed at night, while the victim is asleep. They then develop an area of red skin which becomes uncomfortable. It may start to blister and discolour, often to a blue-black colour. This discoloured area is skin which is dying. The severity and extent of skin damage may progress over several days to a week or more. In severe cases, large areas of skin may be involved and there may be "skip lessions"; areas of affected skin distant from the bite site, such as elsewhere on the bitten limb. Often, during the first 24-48 hours, the patient feels generally unwell and may have a fever, nausea, headache or joint pains. This may all seem a bit like a severe cold or a mild flu. By the end of the first week there may be extensive areas of severe skin damage, but in most cases, the damage is far more localised, with just a local, painful skin ulcer. Healing is very slow and characterised by apparent healing of affected skin, followed by further breakdown.

Viscero-cutaneous Loxoscelism is similar to Loxoscelism, but far more severe, because in addition to the skin damage and general flu-like symptoms, there are severe, sometimes fatal effects on vital organs. Blood cells are destroyed, blood clotting occurs incorrectly, resulting in a bleeding tendency, organs such as the kidneys, liver, heart and lungs are damaged and a complex series of organ failures may occur. This form of loxoscelism used to have a 30% death rate, though survival is more likely with modern intensive care medicine.

In North America there is no antivenom to treat loxoscelism. Many treatments have been tried, but most have been ineffective. Even today, there is argument amongst American doctors about how best to treat this disease. Early surgery to clean up the damaged skin has proven a problem, often making the damaged area bigger. As a result, surgical treatment is best delayed for at least 4-5 weeks after the bite. Skin grafting of ulcerated areas is often best delayed much longer. Steroids have not proven helpful. Antibiotics only help if there is a significant secondary infection. Very toxiv drugs such as Dapsone were tried for a while; they only work if given early and can have nasty side effects, so they are not being used commonly anymore. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO), given by placing the patient in a diving chamber (as used for decompression disease in divers) has found some favour, but is not accepted by all doctors. Scientific trials of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for loxoscelism have given conflicting results. Nevertheless, in the absence of any better treatment, HBO does seem to be effective for at least some patients; it both reduces pain and speeds healing of damaged skin. It does not work in all patients, is expensive and there are some risks associated.

In South America, specifically in Brazil, loxoscelism can be treated with specific antivenom. The effectiveness of antivenom treatment is uncertain, however. The Brazilian antivenom is only available in Brazil.

http://www.wch.sa.gov.au/paedm/clint...htm#loxosceles

http://www.wch.sa.gov.au/paedm/clint...tml#Definition

Ok, not lol, after reading all that (well, scanning it!) I don't think they're really in Oz though, phewwwww!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nasty Bite!!!!!!

Originally posted by Graham & Kath
Thought you would all like to see what happen when a recluse spider bites you (by the way dunno where it comes from as some kind person e-mailed it to me)

Hope your not all eating your dinner while reading this YUK!!!!!!!!!

Graham
That kind person wasn't your mother-in-law perchance?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer
Danny Kingsley
ABC Science Online
Tuesday, 19 August 2003

The white-tail spider, whose bite has been blamed for cases of flesh-eating ulcers for decades, has been declared innocent following methodical Australian research.

The real culprits
Two types of spider were originally suggested as the culprits for necrotising anachronism - the wolf spider and the white-tail spider. Like the white tail, the wolf spider is also innocent, "The wolf spider [accusation] was based on previous reports from other parts of the world, particularly in Brazil where it was felt that wolf spider bites caused skin damage," said White.The real villain - the brown recluse spider, Loxoceles reclusa, is from the family of spiders known to cause necrosis (NASA)
Research in Brazil that looked at the wolf spider found that the creatures were not responsible, explained White. "The culprit turned out to be bites by recluse or fiddleback spiders - they are the only group of spiders that have been well documented as having a venom that can cause skin damage," he said.
Recluse and fiddleback spiders are not native to Australia, although some have been introduced. "We have no idea how common they are," he said. Because of their reclusive nature, it is hard to gauge how many there are here, although there have been definite recluse spider bites recorded in Adelaide.
In most cases of bites in Australia, the victim does not see what had bitten them. "This has been a major stumbling block in developing a scientific understanding of the subject, because we don't really know what the cause is," he said.
The epidemiology of necrotism has never been studied, and it is uncertain if the cause is a bite. White argues that some of the cases are actually caused by infection, and there is a serious risk of misdiagnosis of bite by the white-tail spider.
"It's actually doing the community quite a disservice by continuing that because possibly treatable conditions, sometimes serious conditions are overlooked," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/e...ish_926733.htm
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

simone,

they are nasty little sods and i don't think they are in oz would have been suffice.

now i sit here trembling like a chunky jelly.

Paul ( scanning the walls, the floor, the ceiling, desk, cupboards etc etc )

:scared:
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

simone,

they are nasty little sods and i don't think they are in oz would have been suffice.

now i sit here trembling like a chunky jelly.

Paul ( scanning the walls, the floor, the ceiling, desk, cupboards etc etc )

:scared:
I don't think they are in Brisbane, Perth or Darwin

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

on a more serious note.

I have a slight problem when it comes to spiders.

Can anyone suggest ( other than " don't go " ) what precautions i could/ should take to ensure i never ( ever ) see one.

I fully intend to research different types before we ( if ever ) depart but at the moment, viewing the different types of spiders and the harm they can cause does not rank very high on my " to do " list as i believe this may have a negative impact on my desire to go.

Thanks, Paul
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:01 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Paul,
The most effective way of dealing with this type of fear is gradual exposure!!
Avoidance is a risky strategy.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:03 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

on a more serious note.

I have a slight problem when it comes to spiders.

Can anyone suggest ( other than " don't go " ) what precautions i could/ should take to ensure i never ( ever ) see one.

I fully intend to research different types before we ( if ever ) depart but at the moment, viewing the different types of spiders and the harm they can cause does not rank very high on my " to do " list as i believe this may have a negative impact on my desire to go.

Thanks, Paul
Read this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=190873
I hope it helps.....
Take special notice of the posts by:
Jirrupin (bottom page 1)
Dotty (top half page 2)
Dagboy, bottom page 2
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:10 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I remember the first time I went to Australia I was completely paranoid as I have a real fear of spiders. A few days after I got there I went to get my mail from the little post box at the end of the drive and as I lifted my mail out my hand brushed against something hairy. It was a huntsman. And it was HUGE!!!! I thought I was going to pass out. I have been much more tolerant of spiders since then, on a positive note
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

Didnt realise such a small thing could be sooo intersting!!!!!

BTW Simone where do you find your facts out so quickly

Kath

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hate to say this folks but a few years ago I nursed someone who had a similar wound as the result of an ant bite. He ended up losing his hand so don't think that all the nasties are confined to Oz.

Claire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.