Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nanny State - Aus v UK

Nanny State - Aus v UK

Old May 31st 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Magnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the rough
Question Nanny State - Aus v UK

I started this thread over on the USA forum and it went a little off topic

Anyway, same question for Aus, which is :-

I think most would agree that the UK is a Nanny State and getting more Nannyish* by the year.

How does Austrailia compare in terms of Nannydom*? Is there much state to state variation?

No offence to real Nannys

* these may not be real words but you get my drift

Last edited by Magnum; May 31st 2007 at 10:16 am.
Old May 31st 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State - Aus v UK

I quite like nanny states in that they do a lot to stop individuals acting so selfishly and ruining the lives of others..
Old May 31st 2007, 12:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Magnum

I think most would agree that the UK is a Nanny State and getting more Nannyish* by the year.

How does Austrailia compare in terms of Nannydom*? Is there much state to state variation?

Go & sit on the naughty step for asking such a dumb question.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Magnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bordy
Not a dumb question, I really don't know how much of a Nanny state Aus is. I hope not much
Old May 31st 2007, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy

Has he got a licence to do that
Old May 31st 2007, 12:34 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm just not keen on threads with "Aus V UK" in the title.
Old May 31st 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere is a little Nannisized now; it's the price we pay for regulated standards, etc. But Euronanny is much more scary than Aussienanny. I read your post on US Magnum - you want to retire in Australia?
Old May 31st 2007, 2:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is the ultimate nanny state.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia is the ultimate nanny state.
Absolutely.

I was listening to the car radio the other day: there was an interview with a lady who IIRC has been a prison governor and head teacher, among other things. What she said made a lot of sense: she says that one of the reasons for the explosion of Australian gratuitous violence, vandalism etc is just that: the nenny state.

Children in particular are now so "protected" - think pools ruined by fences, 40kph outside schools, parents walking 12 year-olds to school, parents funding childrens' credit cards, buying them cars and then replacements etc etc - that they (and the boys in particular) reach "maturity" never having been exposed to risk and the consequences of taking risk.

They then try unconciously to catch up with the risk factor but with no conception that they can get hurt or hurt others by irresponsible behaviour.

No doubt I'll get flamed for this - questioning any "protective" measures is nowadays the equivalent of enjoying pulling the legs off small babies....
Old May 31st 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Personally I agree with you Wol.

I remember at the age of 6 or so walking home from school. I knew about stranger Danger, I knew not to get in cars with people offering lifts (even in the P*ssing down rain) and I knew that actions had consequences.

Unfortunately these days, both in Australia and the UK the youth don't have boundaries. Their parents don't seem to think twice about sticking up for them when they've done something wrong (i've found this very much so living here in the UK, one good reason I want to get back home to Australia) the police can't do anything anymore to pull them into line, and teachers aren't allowed to give a 5 year old a cuddle when they get a scratch on their knees.

It's a shame really, I know my two nephews are young and one of them turned to his dad and said "dad that pond doesn't have a sign saying deep water, that means i can go in it" in fact it was incredibly deep. Obviously his father pointed this out, but it just goes to show what sort of things go through their heads, if it's not written down or spoon fed these days (like pretty much everything is) they don't think of it. People don't seem to be able to use common sense anymore. And to be honest, I blame the ambulance chasers!

So if you're going to get flamed Wol, i'm getting flammed with you!
Old May 31st 2007, 11:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

OK! Who's going to burn with us!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
OK! Who's going to burn with us!
Count me in!

S
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:09 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I quite like nanny states in that they do a lot to stop individuals acting so selfishly and ruining the lives of others..
That's the first step to accepting the principles of Neo-conservatism, are you sure?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:22 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

I'm not sure if we as a society are the worst nanny state, but I know alot of Aussies like rules. Most of them either enjoy making them or enforcing them- even if they're not in a position of authority to do so.

A gripe of mine is on the road, if you pull out of a side street, an oncoming motorist 100 m away will actually speed up dramatically to make it seem like you pulled out unsafely. They will make it look like a near miss and beep their horn to try and tell you that were wrong, when you weren't, there was plenty of time if they weren't speeing. Some people just feel the need to be right and to tell you that you're wrong. **** off.

Personally I don't care much for rules that are trivial and make no sense.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007
I'm not sure if we as a society are the worst nanny state, but I know alot of Aussies like rules. Most of them either enjoy making them or enforcing them- even if they're not in a position of authority to do so.

I've noticed that. For a country that prides itself on being laid back and relaxed, a lot of people here certainly are sticklers for rules and regulations - often ones that make no sense. Maybe this is what happens when you get over-regulation and continual interference from too many layers of government seeking to justify their existence...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.