Reload this Page >

Name in visa mis-spelled!!

Name in visa mis-spelled!!

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name in visa mis-spelled!!

Hi all,

The visa's are finally in mine and my families passports, BUT although they have spelt my name right in my visa, they have mis-spelt my christian name in my wife and children's visa's.

They have put in the 8502 condition (not allowed to enter before main applicant), "not to enter Australia before J******, Philip.

My first name is Phillip, that is what is in my visa.

Will this cause me problems?

Phil.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:45 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't have thought so - not with it being so close - they prob wouldn't even notice!

I am sure you will be fine.

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:58 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name in visa mis-spelled!!

Originally posted by philj6969
The visa's are finally in mine and my families passports, BUT although they have spelt my name right in my visa, they have mis-spelt my christian name in my wife and children's visa's.

They have put in the 8502 condition (not allowed to enter before main applicant), "not to enter Australia before J******, Philip.

My first name is Phillip, that is what is in my visa.

Will this cause me problems?
Phil,

Interesting one. Have you looked at your grant letter to see if the missing 'l' was there?

Even if Immigration Australia gives you no problems, there's no guarantee that airline check-in staff will be so forgiving.

Peter
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I would get it changed.
My parents got refused entry on arrival in Oz once because the name on my dad's visa didn't match his passport (it was a typo - I think they had him in the computer as Joan not John!!! It was just an ETA visa but was picked up nonethelss)
Fortunately it was sorted reasonably quickly but was worrying for them at the time.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ptlabs
Phil,

Interesting one. Have you looked at your grant letter to see if the missing 'l' was there?

Even if Immigration Australia gives you no problems, there's no guarantee that airline check-in staff will be so forgiving.

Peter

Hi Peter, yes it is spelled correctly in the grant letter. It seems that they mis-typed it only in the wife and childrens visas.

I have emailed my agent and DIMIA, but no replies yet. I will let you all know the outcome (sent back on the next flight?:scared: )

Phil.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We left Birmingham everything checked " yep ok " got to Dubai and went through , spent 2 days in Dubai , came to check back in and the guy said we have problem with our daughters passport , oh god i thought , well the number on her passport matched her on the computer , but on her visa sticker they had missed out a number !!!!! Oh i thought calm down , i was so worried we wouldnt be able to leave , but he said no her passport says who she is you just have to get her visa changed and the right number put in , thank heavens for that . So make sure you check it all before you leave so you dont have these upsets , its stressful enough as it is .
Joanne
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

We had the same problem. Hubby's passport (main applicant) was fine but on the visa sticker in mine & the kids passports his surname was spelt wrong - again only by one letter (funnily enough that was an L too!!). I only noticed a fortnight before we were due to fly out, rang DIMIA in London & they told me to send the passports back, did so in a mad panic they wouldn't be back in time. Apparently it's quite a hassle to change them & they decided they wouldn't have time so sent them back along with a letter from them explaining the situation & how it was their fault & everything was hunky dorey. They then told me to keep the letter in my bag hand over the passports & see if it was even noticed, only present the letter if there was a problem. It wasn't picked up at Heathrow or Perth so we were fine. So just to cover youself perhaps give them a ring & see if they could write a similar letter, although it'll probably be fine.

Loopy
Old Feb 4th 2004, 6:31 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter, yes it is spelled correctly in the grant letter. It seems that they mis-typed it only in the wife and childrens visas.

I have emailed my agent and DIMIA, but no replies yet. I will let you all know the outcome (sent back on the next flight?:scared: )

Phil.
Phil,

If you can't get it changed in time for your flight, then the next best (or the less worse) thing is to carry with you the grant letter(s). If anyone gives you a hard time, the original grant letter may serve to convince them of the typo.

Peter
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi all,

No reply from DIMIA, but the agent said not to worry about if we are all entering the country at the same time & take your grant letter with you.

thanks for all your advice.

Phil.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:54 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Hi all,

No reply from DIMIA, but the agent said not to worry about if we are all entering the country at the same time & take your grant letter with you.

thanks for all your advice.

Phil.
I would defo get it checked that it is ok to travel, I had errors on my original and I had problems. But that was in 1997 things may be different now but if you get someones name who ok's it all the better.