Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Name change / Passport conundrum

Name change / Passport conundrum

Old Nov 1st 2019, 12:37 am
Just Joined

thirlmere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name change / Passport conundrum

Hi, little conundrum for us to deal with.

My partner, who has yet to recieve her permanent resident status, would like to change her surname back to her pre-married and divorced name.
She's on an 820 visa here with me and we haven't got married yet.

I believe she's allowed to change her surname if she's been here 12 months, but the name in her UK passport is the name she wants to lose.
Can she travel on that passport back to the UK and re-enter Oz, even tho her name in Oz will be different?

I've called births deaths and marriages, they say to ring the passport office, i rang the passport office and they say to ring home affairs.

Can't get anyone to answer the phone at home affairs.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Old Nov 1st 2019, 12:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name change / Passport conundrum

She just needs to update her passport with her maiden(?) name and then provide those passport details to DoHA. However if she plans to take your name upon marriage then cheaper and easier to change her passport then.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 1:11 am
Just Joined

thirlmere is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing she'd have to change her name here in QLD, then apply for a new British passport in her new name.
We won't be getting married before our next overseas trip.

I'm guessing the brit passport office wouldn't just issue a new passport in her new name.....

Cheers
Old Nov 1st 2019, 1:30 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thirlmere
I'm guessing she'd have to change her name here in QLD, then apply for a new British passport in her new name.

I'm guessing the brit passport office wouldn't just issue a new passport in her new name.....

Cheers
Here you go: https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport...evious-surname
Old Nov 1st 2019, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thirlmere

Cheers
Its not a new name if she reverting to her maiden name. From memory I sent them my divorce certificate.

However as BiP says it would be easier to wait instead of changing twice. As long as the visa, passport and airline ticket are in the same name she is fine to travel on the old name.