Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nae jokes!! Glasgow meds??

Nae jokes!! Glasgow meds??

Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:45 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nae jokes!! Glasgow meds??

i know there has been a few posts on about getting the Meds done in Glasgow, BUT, I am looking to book them for 2 Adults, 2 Children 8/6 in the next 2 weeks or so.

So, Where should i go and what should i expect to pay for everything?

I need to mention that the missus has a phobia of manky nails so we may be a bit disadvantaged here
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Nae jokes!! Glasgow meds??

I got mine done in Edinburgh but the prices are prob the same. £72.50 each for xray, and £110 each for med. We also had to wait over 4 weeks for the appointments. That's adult prices, don't know how much kids cost. Just leave them at home and spend the money on

Dave
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
i know there has been a few posts on about getting the Meds done in Glasgow, BUT, I am looking to book them for 2 Adults, 2 Children 8/6 in the next 2 weeks or so.

I need to mention that the missus has a phobia of manky nails so we may be a bit disadvantaged here

We got ours done in glasgow, its a piece of cake really as its certainly not a proper med . Try not to rush and be calm when you arrive as i was a little stressed and my bp was up , so that was that, there was no offer of a cup of tea and a chance to have it rechecked to see if it had lowered any All 4 of us were certainly not in more than 45 mins. Also she will take blood from you, which was fine.

Think paymen was £130 for hubby and £70 for xiray

£145.00 for me (as needed extra blood test coz am a nurse) and 70 for x-ray

Kids , both £90 and teen needed an x-ray at £70 , no x-ray for 8 year old

You will have to make an appointment at the Nuffield for x-rays (not for kids), and get these done first and take them to the med.

Take a copy of the kids immunisations as they need to know this, i just phoned gp and the receptionist accessed the computer and listed them over the phone.

Payment is kinda funny, don't think they take credit cards, cheque only or something.

Also need to take specimen of urine (we took specimens from the kids as well)

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 27th 2006 at 4:55 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
We got ours done in glasgow, its a piece of cake really as its certainly not a proper med . Try not to rush and be calm when you arrive as i was a little stressed and my bp was up , so that was that, there was no offer of a cup of tea and a chance to have it rechecked to see if it had lowered any
worth noting if bp is too high the gp MUST retake after rest period and give you a chance. it's even noted on the med form
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

do a search on meds in glasgow. put me off!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:43 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, do you have the conact details for Edinburgh X-Ray and Meds?

I`m still not sure where we will go, i dont mind the traveling to Edinburgh but i would like to try and get them done soon

John/Leeanne

Originally Posted by Daveh777
I got mine done in Edinburgh but the prices are prob the same. £72.50 each for xray, and £110 each for med. We also had to wait over 4 weeks for the appointments. That's adult prices, don't know how much kids cost. Just leave them at home and spend the money on

Dave
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:52 pm
UK is Home

Hi Margaret, Just curious, do the meds and X-Ray have to be tied in any way? can we just arrange all this separately like arrange for the X-Ray and lf the Meds appointment is maybe a week later would this be ok

I am a bit concerned about not being offered the BP being checked again as i do expect to feel a bit nervous

How did you go about yours?

john/Leeanne

We got ours done in glasgow, its a piece of cake really as its certainly not a proper med . Try not to rush and be calm when you arrive as i was a little stressed and my bp was up , so that was that, there was no offer of a cup of tea and a chance to have it rechecked to see if it had lowered any All 4 of us were certainly not in more than 45 mins. Also she will take blood from you, which was fine.

Think paymen was £130 for hubby and £70 for xiray

£145.00 for me (as needed extra blood test coz am a nurse) and 70 for x-ray

Kids , both £90 and teen needed an x-ray at £70 , no x-ray for 8 year old

You will have to make an appointment at the Nuffield for x-rays (not for kids), and get these done first and take them to the med.

Take a copy of the kids immunisations as they need to know this, i just phoned gp and the receptionist accessed the computer and listed them over the phone.

Payment is kinda funny, don't think they take credit cards, cheque only or something.

Also need to take specimen of urine (we took specimens from the kids as well)
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:53 pm
UK is Home

i`ll remember that, hopefully wont need to request it be done again

Originally Posted by kporte
worth noting if bp is too high the gp MUST retake after rest period and give you a chance. it's even noted on the med form
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Nae jokes!! Glasgow meds??

Got our meds (2+2) done in June. No problems with the Doctor involved. Tests are relatively basic and the whole process is over very quickly (about 45 mins).

We arranged everything on the same day with kids off school. Nuffield in the morning. Lunch in the the Loft (old Grosvenor cinema off Byres Rd). Over to Pollokshaws in the afternoon. Whole thing was a breeze.

We have friends who did the same thing about a year ago - again, no problems.

David
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Margaret, Just curious, do the meds and X-Ray have to be tied in any way? can we just arrange all this separately like arrange for the X-Ray and lf the Meds appointment is maybe a week later would this be ok

I am a bit concerned about not being offered the BP being checked again as i do expect to feel a bit nervous

john/Leeanne

No, am sure this is ok, we just wanted it all done in the one day

When my bp was high (plus am overweight), I didn't get a retake, however she said if i managed to get 3 normal readings within a week of meds (either from gp or occupational health , send this to her and this would be acceptable).
Unfortunately it remained high (drink too much, eat too much and don't do enough exercise, no mystery, lol), so she wanted me to see a cardiologist, researched it on here and this was going to cost me another 500 quid, however, with advice from on here, i went back to my gp, they done all the investigations and i told them i was emigrating and could i have copies, this was no problem to my gp, they were very helpful and it cost nothing, i then forwarded these to dr gillespie and she forwarded the resulsts to sydney, she had already forwarded the original meds, it did all come together and we got our visas about 8 weeks later, which is apparently the norm just now
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

john/Leeanne
SG, When you book, the receptionist will tell you to phone the Nuffield to book an appointment in the morning. She will give you an appointment in the afternoon. Told us to pick up 5 urine sample tubes from local health centre and name on them. Me and oh went to nuffield who gave us the x-rays which we took over to the doc. Margarets costs are correct, £130 adult and £80 for kids. £68 for x-rays. Simple medical involving a blood test, arm/leg coordination, height, bp etc. Not long and relatively simple. Don't worry, its a piece of piss Fra
Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:03 pm
UK is Home

Decided to call them first thing Monday and get them organised, I just hope that someone there is "really" good at taking blood!! The norm is to see the doctor go from one arm to another and then back again trying to find a Vein :scared:

I will let you know how i get on

wish me luck

No, am sure this is ok, we just wanted it all done in the one day

When my bp was high (plus am overweight), I didn't get a retake, however she said if i managed to get 3 normal readings within a week of meds (either from gp or occupational health , send this to her and this would be acceptable).
Unfortunately it remained high (drink too much, eat too much and don't do enough exercise, no mystery, lol), so she wanted me to see a cardiologist, researched it on here and this was going to cost me another 500 quid, however, with advice from on here, i went back to my gp, they done all the investigations and i told them i was emigrating and could i have copies, this was no problem to my gp, they were very helpful and it cost nothing, i then forwarded these to dr gillespie and she forwarded the resulsts to sydney, she had already forwarded the original meds, it did all come together and we got our visas about 8 weeks later, which is apparently the norm just now
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to call them first thing Monday and get them organised, I just hope that someone there is "really" good at taking blood!! The norm is to see the doctor go from one arm to another and then back again trying to find a Vein :scared:

I will let you know how i get on

wish me luck
Good luck SG, but you'll no need it. Glasgow got some shit posts but a found them excellent. Any questions just ask and the receptionist was brill as we had med probs with son. Btw, super ally's still living aff others backs.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:41 pm
UK is Home

Well, we have the Meds booked for the 17th nov :scared:

I tell you what, the receptionist is deffinately a bundle of laughs, made me feel as if i knew her for a hundred years , and was pleasantly surprised with the cost.

Originally Posted by framac
Good luck SG, but you'll no need it. Glasgow got some shit posts but a found them excellent. Any questions just ask and the receptionist was brill as we had med probs with son. Btw, super ally's still living aff others backs.