Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

N Z Living costs

N Z Living costs

Old Dec 31st 2002, 5:58 am
Just Joined

clementd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I agree

I agree that Tauranga is a nice place to live. Mt Manganui is even nicer but the beachfront houses are very expensive. The beaches are great (although the water is a bit cold...but it's New Zealand). Looks like a beautiful place to go boating. Also you are not too far from Coromandal Peninsula slightly north which is very beautiful although more isolated.
I have just been in New Zealand for 3 weeks. Compared to UK the food prices are about the same, although alcohol is cheaper.
Living costs like rent,buying a house (apart from expensive places usually on the beachfront), utilities, running cars etc are much cheaper.

Stay in touch when you move and let me know what you think. Hopefully we will be there soon too.

Cheers, David
Old Dec 31st 2002, 8:02 am
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that David!
I'm going over in April for 2 weeks. looking at places around papamoa beach and up to mt manganui . How cold is the water ? compared to the u.k as i surf a lot. as long as the water is above 16 deg in the summer and doesnt drop below 10 deg in the winter im not too bothered (celcius).theres still loads of homework i have to get done
Old Jan 1st 2003, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

I couldn't tell you the temperature in degrees C. but it is just bearable without a wet suit. I was in for about 15 minutes and it was a struggle (and I like cold water!).
Old Jan 1st 2003, 5:38 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

what time of the year was it when it was just bearable.british summer is about 16/17 deg and you can stay in the water without a wet suit for 45mins at max winter time a full steamer 4-5mm boots and gloves (irefuse to wear a hat) and that temperature goes down to 9 degrees
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 12:50 am
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

all prices incl houses but excluding bare land/farms include goods & services tax (GST 12.5%) unless otherwise stated
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 8:59 am
Just Joined

It was just last week. We were at Whitianga on the east coast of the Coromandal Peninsula, also Tairua beach (very nice town).
I would guess it was about 15deg C.

If you are into surfing the waves are supposed to be better on the West coast, but I think the beaches are not as nice (that is based on one place though, Raglan).

Originally posted by ratliffe
what time of the year was it when it was just bearable.british summer is about 16/17 deg and you can stay in the water without a wet suit for 45mins at max winter time a full steamer 4-5mm boots and gloves (irefuse to wear a hat) and that temperature goes down to 9 degrees