MyGov Account

Old Apr 14th 2020, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

mash2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question MyGov Account

Hello Everyone hope you are all staying safe and well during this lockdown period.

Can anyone advise I am currently living and working in the UK and have both Australian and Uk citizenship, It is easy to open a Mygov account for australia and be able to file my tax returns?

Is anybody in a similar situation to me who has be able to do this without any issues?

Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MyGov Account

I don't know if you can access MyGov from another country, or whether firewalls etc. make it impossible. If you can however, it's fairly easy to open an account https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...-mygov-account

To link your myGov account to the ATO, you’ll need your TFN (tax file number) and details from two of the following documents:
  • a notice of assessment received in the last five years
  • a PAYG payment summary received in the last two years
  • a super account statement from the last five years
  • a dividends statement from the last two years
  • a Centrelink payment summary from the last two years
  • your bank account details
You might find it easier to contact a registered Accountant.
Old May 3rd 2020, 5:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I would caution against trying to set up a MyGov account unless, as the previous post says, you have ALL the information they will require.
It's easy to get into an infinite loop, where it asks you for some bit of information which you can't find, and then you try and return to find your attempt has been made invalid. Then you try again - only to find that it says your email address is "already in use" etc etc.
I had to spend close on 6 months trying to navigate around continual lock-outs, password changes and secondary authentication disasters - too long to bore you with. Only resolved by phone, but you might find THAT difficult from overseas.
Old May 3rd 2020, 9:16 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Wol, MyGov is a pain in the bum. Shocking site.

I can access mine remotely but I did set it up when I was still in Australia and I maintain my Oz phone number for reasons such as this.

Can't seem to update most things I want to update, however. Can't enter an overseas address. Our Oz accountant does our tax returns and has her address on that part, so we're not worrying too much about it.
Old May 3rd 2020, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you need to do an Aus return you must have something more than just bank interest to declare. I would just get an agent to do it.
Preferably one that has the ability to do Aus and UK returns to ensure you claim the correct relief when declaring the income on both.