Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My 'What the hell are we doing' time capsule thread!

My 'What the hell are we doing' time capsule thread!

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of
Default My 'What the hell are we doing' time capsule thread!

I'm just posting this into storage for when this moment arrives

This is why you are moving to Oz...

1) Work - you have a great job to go to.
2) OHs work - a new start, new beginning, new opportunities, a new brand.
3) Location - new landscape, new places to explore - you hate where you are right now, you've both wanted to move for ages... you're just moving a little further south than you had originally anticipated!!!
4) Your new Home - possibly more expensive than you had wanted but hopefully more space. No more tripping over OHs shoe collection!
5) Friends - don't panic. Your UK friends are delighted that they can visit you in Oz (although some won't of course)... plus you get to make brand new friends and meet folks you wouldn't otherwise meet.
6) Experience - life is not a rehearsal. You've got the opportunity to experience a whole new life, good and bad. Get out there and buy the t-shirt!
7) Weather - as you type its cold, raining, grey, miserable... with more to come. Yes you've got winters in Oz to go through but its a new climate to experience.
8) Family - the decision to move has excited everyone and opened up possibilities for them to visit and explore Oz for themselves. More time with your folks as they'll visit for a longer period than they do now.
9) Things to do - you've exhausted everything where you are. Go and explore and do more!
10) What would you do if you stayed? - what are the options and opportunities? Admit it... it's more scary to stay where you are and think 'what if' than it is to get yourself on that plane and say 'we're going to give it a go!'

Now quit worrying and and get out there... remembering how excited and hopeful you felt when you typed this
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:39 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 'What the hell are we doing' time capsule thread!

Originally Posted by ukmouse

3) Location - new landscape, new places to explore - you hate where you are right now, you've both wanted to move for ages... you're just moving a little further south than you had originally anticipated!!!
4) Your new Home - possibly more expensive than you had wanted but hopefully more space. No more tripping over OHs shoe collection!
5) Friends - don't panic. Your UK friends are delighted that they can visit you in Oz (although some won't of course)... plus you get to make brand new friends and meet folks you wouldn't otherwise meet.
6) Experience - life is not a rehearsal. You've got the opportunity to experience a whole new life, good and bad. Get out there and buy the t-shirt!
7) Weather - as you type its cold, raining, grey, miserable... with more to come. Yes you've got winters in Oz to go through but its a new climate to experience.
8) Family - the decision to move has excited everyone and opened up possibilities for them to visit and explore Oz for themselves. More time with your folks as they'll visit for a longer period than they do now.
9) Things to do - you've exhausted everything where you are. Go and explore and do more!
10) What would you do if you stayed? - what are the options and opportunities? Admit it... it's more scary to stay where you are and think 'what if' than it is to get yourself on that plane and say 'we're going to give it a go!'

Now quit worrying and and get out there... remembering how excited and hopeful you felt when you typed this
excellent post - couldn't have put it better. We fly in less than two weeks, and are getting nervous!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scotty1
excellent post - couldn't have put it better. We fly in less than two weeks, and are getting nervous!
I'm still trying to sell house and can't wait to go. good luck to you both
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabe in oz
I'm still trying to sell house and can't wait to go. good luck to you both
You're all going to be fine - it's a good place to be. Good luck - and enjoy the first few weeks as much as you can!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ukmouse

Pretty much sums it up for me too, except number 1 unfortunatly.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:21 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

What a good idea.

Its funny you should think of this, cos after 5 years I wondered what were my reasons for coming here again? I had to scroll through pages of old posts on here to try and find why I had so badly wanted to come here in the first place.......I needed reminding as I was feeling sooo homesick.

they were: weather and cheaper cost of living eg houses,food etc....

None of these things stand now, cos I take sunshine for granted and its a novelty to see anything other, and its way MORE expensive than UK now!!! Back then I HATED the UK with a passion, now I dont know why

So 5 yrs on, We now sit here sweating and broke chatting about how we could sell up here and buy a bigger house outright in the UK, and how we would like to live somewhere with seasons

BTW I didn't get any homesickness till after about 4.5 years of living here, so I think its a good idea to have this in writing, so that when u do get here and yr not looking at things from the perspective of living in the UK, then U can read it to remind yourself why u left yr life, friends, family, cheep houses and nice food and great shops and know why u did it in the first place! Hope that makes sense!

Good luck to u all - its a very exciting time
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:05 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
BTW I didn't get any homesickness till after about 4.5 years of living here
Took me about 10 years before I even contemplated moving back - now I'd love to! - (FX and property values making it seem so feasable for the first time in 15 years!).

I've even started applying (half-heartedly) for jobs in the UK but dont expect much since I cant get there for interview.

Sorry OP - All good and your reasons are *YOUR* reasons. Good idea to record them too just for a re-read and 'pick-me-up' when the immigration blues hit you.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

What a good idea.

Its funny you should think of this, cos after 5 years I wondered what were my reasons for coming here again? I had to scroll through pages of old posts on here to try and find why I had so badly wanted to come here in the first place.......I needed reminding as I was feeling sooo homesick.

None of these things stand now, cos I take sunshine for granted and its a novelty to see anything other, and its way MORE expensive than UK now!!! Back then I HATED the UK with a passion, now I dont know why

So 5 yrs on, We now sit here sweating and broke chatting about how we could sell up here and buy a bigger house outright in the UK, and how we would like to live somewhere with seasons

BTW I didn't get any homesickness till after about 4.5 years of living here, so I think its a good idea to have this in writing, so that when u do get here and yr not looking at things from the perspective of living in the UK, then U can read it to remind yourself why u left yr life, friends, family, cheep houses and nice food and great shops and know why u did it in the first place! Hope that makes sense!

Britain can be a depressing place though, and you forget that when you live somewhere like Aus or the US. Also, you quickly repress what six months of dark, cold and wet is really like. On top of that you have the fact that the British economy is the worst inthe western world (and in some ways worse than some third world economies) and has no way to pull itself back together again because it has no natural resources and all its best people emigrate.

I think the reasons for living in a new world country will become more obvious as the next 5 - 10 years go by.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:29 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean that the houses will stay cheap over there for a while then?

We are staying put here for a few more years and then we are going to re-assess our situation, I am kinda feeling a panic though as when I look on the rightmove website houses r so cheap and interest rates so low right now so I feel a bit scared that by waiting it might pick up and we wont be able to afford to go back there. I have become too lazy now to have to work hard again

I totally know what u mean about the weather though, and being a sunworshipper if we were to move back, I think thats what I will find hardest, but for me its not as much fun here in the sun without your friends and family to enjoy it with After the novelty has worn off that is!

I do have to say though that I dont regret moving to Aus one bit and even though we may not stay here forever I really enjoyed moving here and beginning my new life in Melbourne, I used to have to pinch myself quite regularly and couldnt beleive how lucky I was!

Now I seem to take it all for granted now and just crave things like nights out with my mates and open fires and snow Just the things u take for granted over there really - they all seem pretty inviting now!!

So keep those lists handy!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

What a good idea.

I tend to think that after a while somebody tends to forget all the bad points of where they were living and only remembers the good things.