Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My visit to the UK (got back today)

My visit to the UK (got back today)

Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: My visit to the UK (got back today)

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We were over in dec and january, 6 weeks in all. Never got the bleach look. We had 2 weeks of real cold, glorious weather, colours amazing, blue skies, white skies, shades of frosted with snow, holly, berries, plenty of green shrubs around if not trees, rabbits, squirrels and one deer while driving.

Before the snow, we were on the south coast, mild for dec double digits and a couple of hours of sun a day at least. We got wind, sun, fog, showers, rainbows, bright sun and that was just during one week in hastings. Quite fascintated with the variety of weather up on the cliffs, didnt see the same stuff twice.

Once back in OZ we have had pretty much the same weather since feb, hot mugg and wet, day in day out, very blah and boring, miss the variety. Finally today its cooler, no humidity and sunny,
You could always try Melbourne, or even Adelaide - we gets lots of variety here.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:34 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
So when we saw the flat, fieldy UK its seemed very bland, our first week was grey and overcast and maybe this first impression was the one that stuck with me. I am sure there a lot of places here just like that and worse.
Jo

This sounds like a very specific part of the UK - obviously there are lots of parts of the UK that have rolling hills and beautiful coastline (ie, Dorset )

Just like you live in a very beautiful part of Australia but others don't. I saw a lot of very flat terrain when I was there, but obviously some very beautiful parts too.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Don't remember where I lived in the Peak district as being 'flat and fieldy'.

.....wasn't drab and grey or bland either

If you want bland try Brisbane.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't remember where I lived in the Peak district as being 'flat and fieldy'.

.....wasn't drab and grey or bland either

If you want bland try Brisbane.
Peak District is full of fields... they just tend to be on a bit of a slope.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Peak District is full of fields... they just tend to be on a bit of a slope.
Actually that is true.

Still....they are surrounded by attractive stone walls...which look a lot better than miles of featureless grazing land surrounded by rusty barbed wire like they are here.

Another difference is...you can actually walk across the fields in the Peak district
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are some people arguing with Jo's opinion? It makes no sense to me. She loves where she lives and why and she didn't like some aspects of her visit to the UK, again she's explained why. They are her personal opinion of a specific time and place, what's to argue?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why are some people arguing with Jo's opinion? It makes no sense to me. She loves where she lives and why and she didn't like some aspects of her visit to the UK, again she's explained why. They are her personal opinion of a specific time and place, what's to argue?
It was always going to be bring the usual culprits out
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:42 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Because everyone has to have the same opinion, otherwise it's not valid
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BigH68
I have never lived in a country were so many people having such a bad opinion about their own country...

one of your previous threads

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413392
And what do you want to say with this? Nothing really contradicted my opinion its still the same,we don't like to live in a London suburb. That's why after 5 years living here we will move to Somerset in 2011..like I said in the old posting you so lovingly researched, I like to live in England, I love the english countryside I just don't like to live were we live now... We have seen so many lovely areas in the last years I could have lived happily ever after.

Sorry to everybody else and joho..I was not arguing the personal opinion just felt that it was a bit to general, but enough said about it.
Nice that you have found your place
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by northernbird
It was always going to be bring the usual culprits out
Oh...the irony
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:48 am
Bitter and twisted

If I came on here and made a ridiculous generalisation about Australia....like it is full of thicko's, for instance (which it is)I would be picked up on it.

why then should not someone who makes ridiculous generalisations about England not be picked up on it?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

They are her personal opinion of a specific time and place, what's to argue?
I think it's because there are many people who were in the same place at the same time and it's very hard to see how someone could have found the UK in general drab and gray during the last few weeks unless confined to a seriously run-down spot that also managed to avoid all the sunshine.

The weather has been gorgeous across much of the country. The countryside is lush and varied and suburban streets are a riot of colour with all the flowers and blossom out.

It was a different story a few months ago, of course.

Jo obviously prefers it where she is in Australia, which is great, of course, and is all that really matters, but the "drab and gray" comment obviously got a lot of people confused, including me.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Jo was referring to something other than the weather? It was her impression and we can not know what gave her this impression. It's all highly subjective. Emotions play a huge part too. Jo said she had lost a friend while she was there. Surely any one who is bereaved would be likely to see things as drab and grey.

What ever the reason, it's her impression and it's just as valid as anyone elses.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:49 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

It's about sweeping generalisations again.

I don't live in a drab, grey part of the UK, therefore, the whole of the UK cannot drab and grey. Just like I also don't agree that the whole of Perth can be boring or that everyone in Australia is a racist redneck.

Weather wise, the UK can be grey and overcast sometimes, but it hasn't been for weeks now. And surely everyone on this board knows that the whole of the UK is not flat and fieldy
Or is the whole of Australia red desert?

Personally it does piss me off when people say ridiculous things about the whole of the UK. I'm not immune to it's problems, but I have no respect for people who leave then continually slag the place off (this is not necessarily directed at the OP).

People are allowed to debate and have different opinions, Jo is entitled to hers and I am entitled to mine
I'm really pleased that she loves where she lives - it would be great if everyone did! I just think it's possible to explain why you love a place without slagging off another place.

Last edited by Kapri; Apr 26th 2010 at 4:52 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:53 pm
Happy migrant

[QUOTE=Fly Away;8522011

Emotions play a huge part too. Jo said she had lost a friend while she was there. Surely any one who is bereaved would be likely to see things as drab and grey.
[/QUOTE]

That is a good point, and something I missed in the original post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.