Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My trip back to UK

My trip back to UK

Old Dec 12th 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My trip back to UK

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I am now back in Adelaide. I returned early for various reasons, but i would like to tell how i see things now.

For those who are new or dont know me, i have been away from UK for 3yrs and this was my first visit back.

Before i left, i did have a few worries at the back of my mind...will i want to go back, will seeing the kids make it unbareable to stay away permanently, will i realise i miss the simple things i used to have?.. the answer is an emphatic NO!! Its a bit of a relief really and has made me want to focus even more on developing my life here.

I arrived at Heathrow 5.30am on a Sunday morning. Its was cold, wet, dark. Things didnt improve when daylight hit..a blanket of fog had formed which appeared every morning for next 3 days.

I admit that seeing my dad, my daughters and the grandchildren was fantastic. But it really was the only thing worth going for. I dont want to knock the UK as its not really constructive, but i just want to express my own personal feelings on how i see Britain now after being away for so long.
The first few days i spent in and around the outskirts of London and Hertfordshire. I started to notice things i never did when i lived there. Peoples faces, shabby streets and houses, graffiti. I know that you also get these things out here, but somehow it all felt a lot worse coupled with the greyness and cold wet days. People in general looked tired and miserable. It wasnt until i got back and sat outside central market yesterday that i realised its the walk!!.. there is a marked contrast between how people do it here compared to there..this might seem trivial, but in UK i noticed a lot of hang dog expressions and hunched up, slow paced and tired walkers. Here, in general, people are upright, cheerful looking and appear more alert... i know some may mock this observation but it was quite marked. I dont know what this really says, but in my eyes it makes people appear more cheerful and happy.
I decided to go visit my brother in Weymouth and get away from the urban sprawl in favour of the "chocolate box" countryside. On my drive down i went through some of Englands prettiest countryside, with church spires, thatched cottages and rolling green hills. Whilst i thought it looked pretty, it did nothing for me now!! Certainly didnt make me homesick and only held a mild interest. Weymouth itself is pretty on the seafront but does not compare to the views from my home and even the sea was grey!!

Back to Hertforshire... i went shopping..what a nightmare!!! Queued 20mins to get into shopping centre. Had to pay for the privilege of parking my car to spend money (dont do that here outside of city ctre!) Pushed and shoved my way around the crowded shops, customer service from staff was practically non existent and a smile??..not a chance!
Yes, this could happen anywhere, but personally it doesnt for me. I couldnt wait to get out of there and swore never to go shopping again!

These are only my own personal feelings, others will most definitely have opposing views, but, at the end of all this, i truly feel happy inside that i made Adelaide my home. When the plane was coming into land i could feel a rush of warmth and excitement and a true realisation that i was "home" I have no yearning to go back now....ever.

My part of UK is no longer for me. I've been back, tested myself and have a huge sense of optimism that i have made the right choice for me.

Hi PP,
Sounds as though your trip home has really made your mind up to where you really want to be,i always think it is so good to hear a positive post about people settling in a new homeland !!!!! having said that it is not always that easy for some.....and homesickness is an awful thing to experience and i can feel for those who do. Anyway pp thank's for such a positive post.