Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My take on OZ, 6 months in.

My take on OZ, 6 months in.

Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:16 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My take on OZ, 6 months in.

Well there went the thread children.....thanks for sharing your well reasoned and argued name calling.

Sigh.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:26 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well there went the thread children.....thanks for sharing your well reasoned and argued name calling.

Sigh.
Oh, sincerest apologies, oh, he, of all wisdom and light!
(who made you the professor)?

It was JUST another Hum Drum thread about what was so good/ bad about OZ anyway!!!

Fret not!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Twin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud of

Sigh.
Ditto.....someone always has to ruin a good thread.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Twin Peaks
Ditto.....someone always has to ruin a good thread.
Good?

I rest my case!

(perhaps you should check back to see WHO ruined it)?
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh.

Ditto, are some are so threatened by a open discussion on aus they have revert to crap to end it.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I mostly agree but I would like to think we are growing away from the "my country is best" attitudes of the past and looking at ourselves more as inhabitants of a planet.

Gung-ho nationalism can be very destructive in the long term if it means you are blinkered as to the way other countries have forged ahead.

Australia is a great country with huge potential, but just lying around in the sun smoking unusual materials and saying the "lucky" country is best won't make it happen if other countries are actually working harder and doing a lot better.

Brilliant post, too many people in australia are affected by the disadvantage of distance, and a media that focuses only on 'us'. Many peoples view is distorted by this, if aussies had better access to the rest of the world more would be more vocal about what goes on here.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:47 pm

Oh, here we go..............

The 'usual suspects'!................

Feel free to carry on the thread as if I wasn't here - I'll happily butt out! I'm only here to have fun!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:06 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Oh, here we go..............

The 'usual suspects'!................

Feel free to carry on the thread as if I wasn't here - I'll happily butt out! I'm only here to have fun!
Ahh I said it before and I'll say it again soooo nice to have you back Fuzzy er sorry I mean Fluffy
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Twin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
A nice, intelligent response there - just what I expected!

Just what kind of

are you?
At least Astrogaz isn't this kind!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:41 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Sad to hear your experience is not a happy one & I admire you for giving it a chance & trying to stick it out. I was going to ask the same as Alan & Sam, would you not consider another state? Not all states are the same are they??
We're planning on going to Perth & my understanding is that the cost of living there is alot cheaper than the UK
Anyone in Perth who could comment on the cost of living please?
Leigh

There will be those who find the cost of living in Perth cheaper than the UK and those that find it more expensive.

Trouble is that you haven't got the choice of shops to vary the prices in OZ. In the UK you have cheaper supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl and Foodgiant, theres more expensive ones like Adsa, Summerfield, Tesco, Co-op, Sainburys, Waitrose and Marks and Spencers. (blimey what a choice!). In Oz there isnt that kind of choice so prices are pretty similar.

Comparing prices with the UK I would say we found them to be about the same but when you're earning $'s shopping seems more expensive.

We certainly didn't have money to spend on luxuries like we do here. I think if people are honest about their new lives in Oz no matter where they are living they will tell you they are financially worse off than they were in the UK (odd exeption). Maybe we would have got financially better off over time but in the 16 months we were there things didn't get easier.

Just our version of things
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:44 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Sad to hear your experience is not a happy one & I admire you for giving it a chance & trying to stick it out. I was going to ask the same as Alan & Sam, would you not consider another state? Not all states are the same are they??
We're planning on going to Perth & my understanding is that the cost of living there is alot cheaper than the UK
Anyone in Perth who could comment on the cost of living please?
Leigh
Forgot to say that dont go under the illusion that its a lot cheaper than the UK, big mistake. Like for like dollar - pound etc its about the same if not slightly more due to lower wages.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:49 pm
home again, home again

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's swings and roundabouts; some things cheaper, but others more expensive.

I was born and bred in Perth, but have lived in the UK for just over two years now. My experience has been that many things are cheaper in the UK (such as electrical goods, groceries and second-hand cars) but you pay a lot more for other things. The range of products is also impressive; Britain's proximity to Europe grants access to a far wider market, with lower shipping costs. I have been very impressed with the wide variety and lower prices that I've found over here.

But in my experience the quality of fresh food in the supermarkets is inferior to the Australian equivalent; fortunately, my missus buys our greens from a local farm shop at prices that even Tesco can't beat.

I agree with you, I think the difference between the UK and Perth is that the UK has loads more choice and variety so you can choose how much you want to pay.

Aunty who lives in Perth came over at Christmas and was very impressed with all the choice. Food shopping took her to another dimension! She was so impressed with the clothes she bought her wedding outfit for her daughters wedding !!!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:55 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janeyray
I agree with you, I think the difference between the UK and Perth is that the UK has loads more choice and variety so you can choose how much you want to pay.

Aunty who lives in Perth came over at Christmas and was very impressed with all the choice. Food shopping took her to another dimension! She was so impressed with the clothes she bought her wedding outfit for her daughters wedding !!!
Hi Janeyray can you eleborate on what you mean by more choice of food? do you mean convienience stuff??

Its just that when we were there I couldnt believe how much better the choice of fruit and veg was, especially in the markets and the meat was certainly cheaper than here. I am talking 2003 btw!!

Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Stuck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by janeyray
There will be those who find the cost of living in Perth cheaper than the UK and those that find it more expensive.

Trouble is that you haven't got the choice of shops to vary the prices in OZ. In the UK you have cheaper supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl and Foodgiant, theres more expensive ones like Adsa, Summerfield, Tesco, Co-op, Sainburys, Waitrose and Marks and Spencers. (blimey what a choice!). In Oz there isnt that kind of choice so prices are pretty similar.

Comparing prices with the UK I would say we found them to be about the same but when you're earning $'s shopping seems more expensive.

We certainly didn't have money to spend on luxuries like we do here. I think if people are honest about their new lives in Oz no matter where they are living they will tell you they are financially worse off than they were in the UK (odd exeption). Maybe we would have got financially better off over time but in the 16 months we were there things didn't get easier.

Just our version of things
There are ALDI's all over NSW
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:15 pm
home again, home again

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi Janeyray can you eleborate on what you mean by more choice of food? do you mean convienience stuff??

Its just that when we were there I couldnt believe how much better the choice of fruit and veg was, especially in the markets and the meat was certainly cheaper than here. I am talking 2003 btw!!

Not sure if you mean the friut and veg was better in Oz or the UK? We found seasonal fruit like grapes and strawberries in Perth brilliant. I'm talking in the countryside though not supermarkets, we lived in the swan valley so fruit was plentyful. Not sure if we found the supermarket fruit anf veg any differnt from here really.

We found the price of meat not really that much cheaper than the UK, maybe because we weren't earning that much? Maybe it just seemed expensive? we certainly found that the supermarkets here (UK) have more choice of foods like yogurts and cheese. Can't remember what we missed out on exactly but can remember thinking each time we went shopping, 'oh I wish they had such and such'
Spoilt for choice I feel in the UK supermarkets now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.