Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My pussy is cold in Brisbane

My pussy is cold in Brisbane

Old Jul 8th 2003, 2:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default My pussy is cold in Brisbane

A "light" post:
Seeing as weather keeps cropping up here - is it cold, warm etc in winter? I thought I'd post this photo of one of my cats:

I must remember to buy warmer coats for my pets when I go back to the UK lol. A recent photo (last week) of one of my cats in Brisbane - cold munn!
I'm not mad - but my pets are , this one is an Aussie W*nker cat (an Australian born cat who says it's cold here - he didn't literally "say" - he doesn't talk!.... I'm not that mad -yet!)

It's a dog jacket that I bought here in Brissie .. just in case anyone is wondering - even the animals get cold here sometimes.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails My pussy is cold in Brisbane-jacketcat88.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2003, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: My pussy is cold in Brisbane

I must remember to buy warmer coats for my pets when I go back to the UK lol. A recent photo (last week) of one of my cats in Brisbane - cold munn!

ceri, have i missed something? are you returning to the uk?
love the photo!
i am not bringing my cats, just think the journey would be so awful for them and the quarantine. keep getting very weepy about leaving them, though a very kind friend is giving them a good home.
was watching steve irwin about non indiginous creatures which are absolute pests over there and cats were high on the list! do yours wander freely or do you keep them in?
my friend in florida has six and every one has their front claws removed, seemed barbaric to me but they are all happy cats. however, they mostly live in the house and she hads a screen round and over her garden so they can't go anywhere! apparently its normal over there, i think people value their furniture a bit too highly!
karen
Old Jul 8th 2003, 5:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by karenvirginia

ceri, have i missed something? are you returning to the uk?
love the photo!
i am not bringing my cats, just think the journey would be so awful for them and the quarantine. keep getting very weepy about leaving them, though a very kind friend is giving them a good home.
was watching steve irwin about non indiginous creatures which are absolute pests over there and cats were high on the list! do yours wander freely or do you keep them in?
my friend in florida has six and every one has their front claws removed, seemed barbaric to me but they are all happy cats. however, they mostly live in the house and she hads a screen round and over her garden so they can't go anywhere! apparently its normal over there, i think people value their furniture a bit too highly!
karen
I don't know where to start

No I do not let them wander freely, I never have.

I brought two cats from Sng to Aus. One has died recently - the cat in the photo is a cat which would have been put down. Long story, but he was a donor cat to my cat (kidney transplant) - he's only got one kidney.

Like I say, I do not know where to start - the above cat which we used for the op was recommended to us that he should not be woken up from the op, he has been through two homes - then lived in the vets for blood transfusions (ie they used to take blood out of him to give other cats) - he was there for a year being abused/used like this . When my cat (my baby!) was diagnosed with kidney failure - the only treatment was a transplant (I live in the only state of Aus who does this - "the cat clinic" cost me about $7,000 all up- this cat gave up his kidney for my cat - a rule you must adopt the donor cat - but our vet suggested to us this cat would be not woken up - take his kidney out - and let him die . I said no way!!! The cat was supposed to be aggressive, but there's no way I could use an animal - and then let it die!

Anyway long story - short - we took this cat on (two year old cat)- yes he's wild, but I have made progress with him - no animal deserves to be killed.

Anyway no I do not let my animals run wild - I've always keep them in at night, and the new house which we are due to move into it backs onto bush with koalas , I am going to build a cat run on this property.

The funny thing is - I am more of a conservationist than my Aussie neighbours.

I love the wildlife, and I also love my pets - you can have both

cheers

P.s as returning to the U k- yes, of course - hopefully within the next two years
Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:31 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally posted by Ceri
I don't know where to start

No I do not let them wander freely, I never have.

I brought two cats from Sng to Aus. One has died recently - the cat in the photo is a cat which would have been put down. Long story, but he was a donor cat to my cat (kidney transplant) - he's only got one kidney.

Like I say, I do not know where to start - the above cat which we used for the op was recommended to us that he should not be woken up from the op, he has been through two homes - then lived in the vets for blood transfusions (ie they used to take blood out of him to give other cats) - he was there for a year being abused/used like this . When my cat (my baby!) was diagnosed with kidney failure - the only treatment was a transplant (I live in the only state of Aus who does this - "the cat clinic" cost me about $7,000 all up- this cat gave up his kidney for my cat - a rule you must adopt the donor cat - but our vet suggested to us this cat would be not woken up - take his kidney out - and let him die . I said no way!!! The cat was supposed to be aggressive, but there's no way I could use an animal - and then let it die!

Anyway long story - short - we took this cat on (two year old cat)- yes he's wild, but I have made progress with him - no animal deserves to be killed.

Anyway no I do not let my animals run wild - I've always keep them in at night, and the new house which we are due to move into it backs onto bush with koalas , I am going to build a cat run on this property.

The funny thing is - I am more of a conservationist than my Aussie neighbours.

I love the wildlife, and I also love my pets - you can have both

cheers

P.s as returning to the U k- yes, of course - hopefully within the next two years
Good on ye Ceri, I think it is awful that some animals are just kept to be donors to others and that they may die as a result!

I think your cat looks a bit of a cool dude in his jacket but if he comes back to Wales with you he will probably need a hat and some boots as well!!!

Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

sounds like you've been through alot with your animals, they were all lucky to have you by the sound of it too!
best of luck with the wild one!
karen
Old Jul 8th 2003, 7:12 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Ohhhh your CAT!!! DOH!
Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:03 pm
Badge

I would just like to say that I have a really big cock and I am concerned it will get cold in Brissy?!!!

it often refuses to crow when it suffers from the cold..and I end up oversleeping...

badgers

Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:19 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default well ceri

Originally posted by paulf
Ohhhh your CAT!!! DOH!

one way of gettin ya pussy noticed...........

certainly see it cummin in that!!!!!!!

Old Jul 9th 2003, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
A "light" post:
Seeing as weather keeps cropping up here - is it cold, warm etc in winter? I thought I'd post this photo of one of my cats:
We have two cats: one would probably prefer to get a crew cut - he's not terribly fond of the hot weather we get here, 30 degrees plus in summer, and I challenge anybody to get a piece of fabric on Sashimi, my alter ego, and live to tell about it.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Softies. Now here's a cat.
Attached Thumbnails My pussy is cold in Brisbane-moddie.gif  
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:04 am
Just Joined

jtipping is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually while we are on the subject of cats I would like some advice. I have a cat who is 13 but very fit and full of life. I just couldnt bear to be parted from him. I have no children and so hes kind of filled the role - non animal lovers wouldnt necessarily understand.
Hes always been allowed to roam free - all the neigbours know and love him etc. Hes such a cheeky chap.
I understand that things are not quite like this in Oz and I want to be a responsible owner etc. He does sleep a lot of the time now and we intend to keep him in at night but I am having sleepless nights worrying about the adjustments he is going to have to make. How do these can runs work for example
How did other people cope with this also I am worried about finding somewhere to rent for the first 6 months whilst we sort out jobs and own home. We have even thought about 1 of us coming a bit before the other to get the ball rolling. This is causing us a few headaches.
Please has anyone any advice, I would be so grateful as this is such a worry for me.
Jan
Old Jul 9th 2003, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jtipping

I understand that things are not quite like this in Oz and I want to be a responsible owner etc. He does sleep a lot of the time now and we intend to keep him in at night but I am having sleepless nights worrying about the adjustments he is going to have to make. How do these can runs work for example
How did other people cope with this also I am worried about finding somewhere to rent for the first 6 months whilst we sort out jobs and own home. We have even thought about 1 of us coming a bit before the other to get the ball rolling. This is causing us a few headaches.
Please has anyone any advice, I would be so grateful as this is such a worry for me.
Jan
I'm not a cat owner, but I don't belive their are any laws preventing you from letting your cat run free. I have a neighbour who has a cat and quite often I see it loungeing around the garden or drive way. I am in a Brisbane suburb not near to a reserve, but it would be irresponsibe to let cats run free close by reserves but I don't think their are laws against it.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 2:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by jtipping
Actually while we are on the subject of cats I would like some advice. I have a cat who is 13 but very fit and full of life. I just couldnt bear to be parted from him. I have no children and so hes kind of filled the role - non animal lovers wouldnt necessarily understand.
Hes always been allowed to roam free - all the neigbours know and love him etc. Hes such a cheeky chap.
Jan
Long post coming up :

Most councils there are laws in place that states "you must keep your cat on your own property" - it is the same law which applies to dogs - not a lot of people actually know that one - check with your council. BUT - most cat owners do not take notice of this law - and I've yet to see this law being enforced where I have lived.

I haven't got a cat run yet (I will be building one in my new house - as the land backs onto a koala reserve, I wouldn't feel happy anyway letting my cats go in there for their sakes as much as the wildlife's sake)

Adjustments - cats adjust pretty well, they didn't get to where they are today (from Egyptian times) to now without adjusting

My cats - one is 10 ( he came here from Sing when he was 4 - the other sing cat has died this year from an infection from a kidney transplant op) He's at that stage where he's slowing down - likes to sleep a lot etc and stay in the house. When He was younger he was a right old hunter (still is to a point - if he had his way) - he's even brought a small snake into the house once (In sing) - harmless type I think!

Anyway, you will probably find when you get here - your cats will be clingy to you anyway - because it's all strange to them. It's up to you how you go from there - ie keep them in at night, keep them in all the time etc - but they will adapt.

The cat above he is two (I only got him a couple of months back - he was a donor kidney cat) - anyway- who ever he was with before (he has been through two homes - and then lived in the vets for a year) had obviously let him out at night - for the first two weeks he used to howl the place down and try and climb the doors inside to be let out at night - this went on for a couple of weeks - I just ignored his pleas - now he has stopped doing this, and he has not been let out at all yet - I.e 100% house cat now. except when I take him for a walk - now don't laugh! I've actually got him to walk on a lead too ( a harness type - designed for cats) - no bull! I don't half get some odd looks I can tell you! Hubby finds it all very embarrassing I can tell you - doesn't go with his Butch image - loll

My older cat likes to go out for a couple of hours in the day (early mornings) - he prefers to be in the house most of the time. And I never ever let him out during the night.

As for renting - it will narrow your search down a wee bit, but there are rentals which allow pets. If a house does not mention "pets allowed" ask the estate agent to ask the landlord for you. The house I'm currently in - it did not mention pets - I asked the landlord, the only condition was - that I agreed when we leave to have the house pest sprayed.

The first house we were in about 6 years ago, I did not mention my animals - I sneaked them in ... only for the reason of - I needed a house straight away as I was in a motel at the time. When we had house inspections - I used to hide the cats in the wardrobe - lol. (I'm not recommending you do this mind you)

But anyway, you will find a rental house that allows cats - The past two rentals I have been in - no prob.

P.S most units do not allow animals - so forget looking at units to rent.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 10th 2003 at 3:45 am.