Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Mum's a Citizen, but what about my Dad

My Mum's a Citizen, but what about my Dad

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:06 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Mum's a Citizen, but what about my Dad

It turns out that my Mum can get Aussie citizenship because of her Dad. BTW Thanks JAJ for info on this before. However, does anyone know what happens to my Dad if she decides to moves over here. I’ve made the assumption that she would bring him with her, so does anyone know what visa he would need to get and how he would do it?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Mum's a Citizen, but what about my Dad

Originally Posted by diddy
It turns out that my Mum can get Aussie citizenship because of her Dad. BTW Thanks JAJ for info on this before. However, does anyone know what happens to my Dad if she decides to moves over here. I’ve made the assumption that she would bring him with her, so does anyone know what visa he would need to get and how he would do it?

Thanks,

Paul.
Spouse visa I guess. Pretty straightforward if your mum is a citizen.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:18 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Spouse visa I guess. Pretty straightforward if your mum is a citizen.
That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if it was as simple as that given she hasn't lived in Oz since she was 8.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if it was as simple as that given she hasn't lived in Oz since she was 8.

Yup, if she has citizenship....he has the easy task of a spouse visa and should come in as PR right away if they have been married for over 5 years...

That would make life a little easier on you guys if you had family here!! When is the big move to is it Southport??? Hows Nic going?

H
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be a problem once your mother has her Australian citizenship certificate to prove things. Don't assume anything until this is sorted out, but you sound hopeful

And don't be surprised if her citizenship application takes some months to be finalised as the documentation is more complex and it will probably need to be referred to Canberra. Her citizenship must be registered before she can sponsor.

Spouse visa is the one for your father. http://www.australia.org.uk is the place to apply (ie before leaving the UK). He should get a PR visa straight away and be eligible for Australian citizenship after the normal residence requirement (likely to be three years).

The only possible snag is the risk of a discretionary Assurance of Support because of his age. Although this is unusual for British citizens, an older applicant for a spouse visa has a greater risk of being asked for one.

The income rules for a discretionary AOS are much more flexible than those for a mandatory AOS and there is no bond involved (doesn't make a difference to legal liability however).

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 3rd 2005 at 1:38 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Yup, if she has citizenship....he has the easy task of a spouse visa and should come in as PR right away if they have been married for over 5 years...
If there are children of the marriage, only 2 years is required for PR.

Jeremy
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

Oh yeah...of course!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:30 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by Hels

That would make life a little easier on you guys if you had family here!! When is the big move to is it Southport??? Hows Nic going?

H
Thanks Hels. I'll PM you.

Paul.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:31 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Jeremy, bit confused. Does this mean me?

Paul.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:32 am
JAJ
Retired

Jeremy, bit confused. Does this mean me?

Paul.
No - it's about whether a spouse visa applicant gets a permanent visa immediately or gets a temporary visa to begin with.

Usually a couple have to be together for 5 years, however for those with children it's cut to two.

Jeremy
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:33 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by JAJ
No - it's about whether a spouse visa applicant gets a permanent visa immediately or gets a temporary visa to begin with.

Usually a couple have to be together for 5 years, however for those with children it's cut to two.

Jeremy
Thanks mate.

Paul.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband managed to get his citizenship because of his father. He applied for it in November and it was granted in January. He had to send a police check off too.
Anyhow, we then applied for our Spouse and dependent children visas, we happened to be in Oz on a student visa at the time, and we did this in April and they were granted in June. I think it is quicker if it is done in the UK. Because we had been married 21years we were granted permanent visas straight away.

Amanda