Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

my mad plan, or is it?

my mad plan, or is it?

Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my mad plan, or is it?

Originally Posted by angry-ball
carpenter and joiner
Why so desperate to get into mining? Construction pays big bucks & you'd not have much of a problem getting work anywhere in WA.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

angry-ball is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Why so desperate to get into mining? Construction pays big bucks & you'd not have much of a problem getting work anywhere in WA.
if the wife and kids wern't coming out for a while, i had figured i would get into mining for a while with the high wages and the company paying for your keep for 2 weeks out of 3 and very little oppurtunity to spend money while in camp, it seemed like a good oppurtunity to save some money and build some cash reserves for when the family moved out.
on the other hand if i went to the city and got a job i would have to pay to keep my self, rent, food, transportation, etc., etc. and of course what will a single guy do on his own in a big city after work....... the pub most likely dosn't seem like a good oppurtunity to put some cash reserves together there.
been there done the whole sydney thing for 12mths back in the day and to be honest...... iam not to be trusted in the big city on my own

plan is, if the wife and kids come out afterwards i would pack in the mining job and get a job in shuttering on the construction sites. i hear the shuttering pays fairly good as well and i have a lot of experience in that too
Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angry-ball

afterwards i would pack in the mining job and get a job in shuttering on the construction sites. i hear the shuttering pays fairly good as well and i have a lot of experience in that too

Shuttering is generally called formwork in OZ.

Formworkers are currently getting $30 maybe $35 tops on our sites at the moment. Wet weather, hols, sick, tools down, no pay of course, so dont just do the 40X$35 thing. Be aware with construction work in OZ its very much project to project, project ends everyone is back out looking for the next lot of work, can really mess up the income flow

I am NOT in Perth but the construction industry has taken a BIG dip the last 3years. Lots of commercial projects were canned OZ wide during the financial crisis. Not to say you wont get work, but there will probably be plenty of competition, unless Perth has some mass of commercial work unlike the rest of oz at the moment. Maybe it does, someone in perth will be able to tell you.

If you are not working, and you have the time, get out to Oz and really get a feel for the jobs market, you cant help but get a more accurate picture than trawling round the jobs.

Good luck with it anyway.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Just something else to consider, if your kids are reluctant now, it will be far harder to convince them once they are teens. The longer you leave it, the worse it will be.
The pull of family for your wife is not to be underestimated either.
I think a validation trip is an excellent idea. Who knows, they may love it.
Good luck.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:43 am
Just Joined

angry-ball is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Shuttering is generally called formwork in OZ.

Formworkers are currently getting $30 maybe $35 tops on our sites at the moment. Wet weather, hols, sick, tools down, no pay of course, so dont just do the 40X$35 thing. Be aware with construction work in OZ its very much project to project, project ends everyone is back out looking for the next lot of work, can really mess up the income flow

I am NOT in Perth but the construction industry has taken a BIG dip the last 3years. Lots of commercial projects were canned OZ wide during the financial crisis. Not to say you wont get work, but there will probably be plenty of competition, unless Perth has some mass of commercial work unlike the rest of oz at the moment. Maybe it does, someone in perth will be able to tell you.

If you are not working, and you have the time, get out to Oz and really get a feel for the jobs market, you cant help but get a more accurate picture than trawling round the jobs.

Good luck with it anyway.
what part of oz are you in?
with them rates i might try to avoid that area
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

that would be every part of oz for construction workers