Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My life is in turmoil

My life is in turmoil

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My life is in turmoil

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Update:

House went on market last week......had an offer today close to asking price
and not a long chain.

Wife and kids need to go out in mid-Jan for school starting in early Feb - need to go to take up places at the school which now has waiting list.

She will live in rented house with kids - cousins close by for help and support.

I will come out March or April time after house sale complete and I tie up loose ends.

Are we doing the right thing ?.........we have had this dream for years but when you are finally faced with booking one-way tickets......who wouldn't question themselves.

We have independent 136 visas (can live and work anywhere).......plan is I work but wife only part time.......we should have sizeable deposit on house.

I already left a good job earlier this year (final salary pension scheme) but I was not happy with the position....so I got a better job and now take home £500 net more than I used to........but again I knew that oz was at the end of my rainbow.

So.....got a god job here and will leave it....am I crazy ? Could be but this thing isn't just about me.......it's for a better life for us all we hope, especially the kids.

Our reasons for going are simple......for the kids, outdoors life (we love sunshine but know the perils) and thats it. The only unknown is jobs....but I hope me being an accountant and my wife being a midwife and sonographer we will find something that suits us.......plus we think our kids will be in a better school than they would have been here.....now tell me what better means 'cos thats a debate in itself.

I'm at a point where I need to hear some support and stories of how things have been better for people and they have not looked back. I am well aware of the negative stories and instances where people came back to UK and know where to go to read them. We know there will still be stress ahead.

We can of course always come back to UK if we wanted to....but jeeze that ain't what we are thinking....we gotta give it a good go.

SUMMARY...........feeling stressed at everything about to totally change in our life.

Hiya long time no speak!!

You are doing the right thing!!If you didn't do it you would regret it.... Like you, our main reason is for our kids and an outdoor lifestyle.....and boy have we done the right thing!!!

We all felt the same way as your feeling now.....when you get out here, you'll wonder what you was so so worried about Honest!!

Where are you guys heading, I know you was unsure when we saw you at the Kent meet.

Speak soon

Sue x
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl
Hi mate,
keep meaning to get your number from Just.
We are in rented and my PC is packed and I'm using the lap top so don't have my e-mail address or phone book, forward planning not.

Will PM you our number.

On your point I finished work today, well officially, feel really strange.

Then I think of the people we know who have turned their lives into turmoil with no obvious good to come of it. IMO.
Kevin

Hiya Kevin...its all well worth it!!

All the best

Sue x
Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:30 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hiya Kevin...its all well worth it!!

All the best

Sue x

Thanks Sue,
glad to hear it's all going well.
It's really strange being unemployed, only when we did our WHV have I not had a job.

Off round ASDA in a min, probably should have done another couple of weeks at work

Kevin
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hiya long time no speak!!

You are doing the right thing!!If you didn't do it you would regret it.... Like you, our main reason is for our kids and an outdoor lifestyle.....and boy have we done the right thing!!!

We all felt the same way as your feeling now.....when you get out here, you'll wonder what you was so so worried about Honest!!

Where are you guys heading, I know you was unsure when we saw you at the Kent meet.

Speak soon

Sue x
We was going Brisbane area, but after our recce in Easter we loved where my cousins live about hour south of Sydney........They have great beaches on their doorstep but also go skiing in mountains in winter.......and having my cousins on hand makes it great to have immediate friends and family close by.
The area is called shellharbour near wollongong......

How are you.....loving it by the sounds of it !
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kevinl
Thanks Sue,
glad to hear it's all going well.
It's really strange being unemployed, only when we did our WHV have I not had a job.

Off round ASDA in a min, probably should have done another couple of weeks at work

Kevin

It does feel strange when you give up work the last couple of weeks left in the UK are very quite odd and hard but when you get out here its all so worth it.

Good luck

Sue
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

We was going Brisbane area, but after our recce in Easter we loved where my cousins live about hour south of Sydney........They have great beaches on their doorstep but also go skiing in mountains in winter.......and having my cousins on hand makes it great to have immediate friends and family close by.
The area is called shellharbour near wollongong......

How are you.....loving it by the sounds of it !

Thats great new glad you know where your heading now and to have family near will be a huge help.

All the best

Sue
Old Dec 1st 2005, 3:40 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Update:

House went on market last week......had an offer today close to asking price
and not a long chain.

Wife and kids need to go out in mid-Jan for school starting in early Feb - need to go to take up places at the school which now has waiting list.

She will live in rented house with kids - cousins close by for help and support.

I will come out March or April time after house sale complete and I tie up loose ends.

Are we doing the right thing ?.........we have had this dream for years but when you are finally faced with booking one-way tickets......who wouldn't question themselves.

We have independent 136 visas (can live and work anywhere).......plan is I work but wife only part time.......we should have sizeable deposit on house.

I already left a good job earlier this year (final salary pension scheme) but I was not happy with the position....so I got a better job and now take home £500 net more than I used to........but again I knew that oz was at the end of my rainbow.

So.....got a god job here and will leave it....am I crazy ? Could be but this thing isn't just about me.......it's for a better life for us all we hope, especially the kids.

Our reasons for going are simple......for the kids, outdoors life (we love sunshine but know the perils) and thats it. The only unknown is jobs....but I hope me being an accountant and my wife being a midwife and sonographer we will find something that suits us.......plus we think our kids will be in a better school than they would have been here.....now tell me what better means 'cos thats a debate in itself.

I'm at a point where I need to hear some support and stories of how things have been better for people and they have not looked back. I am well aware of the negative stories and instances where people came back to UK and know where to go to read them. We know there will still be stress ahead.

We can of course always come back to UK if we wanted to....but jeeze that ain't what we are thinking....we gotta give it a good go.

SUMMARY...........feeling stressed at everything about to totally change in our life.
hey
i guess its natural to feel stressed but you sound positive about it already and have commited to make the move so go for it.

as of jobs accounting and nursing jobs are on demand at the moment in oz so you will definately find work without a doubt, that applies to the wife as well. wishing you all the best