Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My kids do want to go.

My kids do want to go.

Old Jun 9th 2003, 1:46 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default My kids do want to go.

Hi, should have posted in the other thread but it went off the subject like so many others do, with a load of bitching between the usual suspects.
However, my kids do want to go, they are, or will be in November when we hope to make the big move 16, 14,12 and 10. I wish that I had only promised a swimming pool and close proximity to the beach. In reality they now expect a pool, 200 acres, motorbikes, a horse, dog, an old 4x4 to learn to drive, quad bikes, a creek with fish, and a boat amongst other things. I feel confident that within a couple of years I can give them all these things, but what I would really like to give them is a good education. I hope there are some good schools southeast Queensland.

Slater

Old Jun 9th 2003, 8:31 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad mine arn't the only ones, thought they were seeming stranger than usual for a bit there. They are only 5 and 8 but are really excited at the prospect of the massive adventure we are going on. And yes, before i get slated again, they are fully aware of all it entails and what they are leaving behind etc.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine want to come too, 4, 8 & 10, all boys. The older two currently live with their mum as I re-married. Thought this might be a problem but not so far! We all get on well, ex & current wife etc. so when we started thinking about it I spoke to their mum and basically she said they could go if they wanted to. We all talked about it, told them 'it's not the other side of the world'.....ok......that was a lie,...but just meaning that contact is easy enough what with video phones etc., plus mum can visit & vice-versa. I think they just see it as an adventure at the moment so we're not sure how things will turn out. But if they want to come back then it will be possible. We all feel, even their mum, that it's a fantastic opportunity for them. Not academically or anything, but as a life experience (which to me is more important).

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jun 10th 2003, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My kids do want to go.

Hi our kids want to go as well 6 and 14 yrs, although I dont think my six year old really comprehends what it is really about I think she thinks we are going on holiday I keep saying its not a holiday we are not coming back ( fingers crossed ) Yes we too have said we will have a swimming pool etc and we hope too to be able to give them these things in time.
Best wishes to everyones new lives.
Liz and Mark
Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

jane03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Slater
Hi, should have posted in the other thread but it went off the subject like so many others do, with a load of bitching between the usual suspects.
However, my kids do want to go, they are, or will be in November when we hope to make the big move 16, 14,12 and 10. I wish that I had only promised a swimming pool and close proximity to the beach. In reality they now expect a pool, 200 acres, motorbikes, a horse, dog, an old 4x4 to learn to drive, quad bikes, a creek with fish, and a boat amongst other things. I feel confident that within a couple of years I can give them all these things, but what I would really like to give them is a good education. I hope there are some good schools southeast Queensland.

Slater

The schools here are great. There's the good and the bad like anywhere so you just look around and find what you want whether public or private. There's far more of an outdoors feel to the education here in Qld as the weather permits it. That enables a healthy, active education that combines theory with practice, sitting still with movement, social interaction and much sensory stimulation. Our system will feel different and possibly more relaxed so it's a matter of relaxing yourself, adjusting, asking loads of questions as needed and keeping the faith that your kids will fit in and be educated well.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Jane.

footie chick
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:50 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jane03
The schools here are great. There's the good and the bad like anywhere so you just look around and find what you want whether public or private. There's far more of an outdoors feel to the education here in Qld as the weather permits it. That enables a healthy, active education that combines theory with practice, sitting still with movement, social interaction and much sensory stimulation. Our system will feel different and possibly more relaxed so it's a matter of relaxing yourself, adjusting, asking loads of questions as needed and keeping the faith that your kids will fit in and be educated well.
Thanks for an encouraging view, we are at the anxious stage and need positive feed back.

Slater