Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Husband Didn't Know He Had a Criminal Record.

My Husband Didn't Know He Had a Criminal Record.

Old Oct 20th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

DaxH will become famous soon enoughDaxH will become famous soon enough
Unhappy My Husband Didn't Know He Had a Criminal Record.

My OH has just had his PNC back and it has listed an offence that he didn’t know resulted in him having a criminal record. He thought the offence was a warning only at the time.

Way back in 1990 aged 18½, he was stopped by the police on his way home from college for a routine stop and search. He and his friends who he was dropping off home were told to get out of the car and they were searched there and then.

He and his friends were scared to say the least, their first run in with the police.
End of the day they had nothing to hide and had done nothing wrong so he let them get on with their duty.

It was a good cop bad cop combo that stopped them.
The ‘bad cop’ searched his car and found his dads wooden pick axe handle in the car as he's a carpenter.
It had been in the car for ages and he never thought of taking it out, stupidly my OH left it in the car and thought it would be clever to keep it in the car for protection.

He told the officer that he was keeping it for protection as the college he was attending was quite rough at the time. Bingo!! The officer smiled and started taking down his details.

Before he knew it, he was asked to go to court where he pleased guilty straight away and received a £20 fine and £25 court costs and what he thought was a slap on the wrists, nothing more, especially not a criminal record.

It also appears reading here:-
http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...%20Records.pdf
that his record will stay on the PNC database for a total 20 years from the date of the offence, hence, another 2½ years.

Since 1990 he has behaved and is of good character, this has been his only run in with the law.

The problem is that he and I assumed that he didn’t have a criminal record therefore, I didn’t state it on our Skilled Visa application.

He has asked his manager for a character reference just in case.

What are the implications of all this as we are on the final stretch now and it has ruined our weekend. Only an England victory against SA tonight will cheer me up.

Thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 10:49 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Husband Didn't Know He Had a Criminal Record.

I think he'll be fine as it was so long ago.

PM me if you want a bit more advice.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:15 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaxH
My OH has just had his PNC back and it has listed an offence that he didn’t know resulted in him having a criminal record. He thought the offence was a warning only at the time.

Way back in 1990 aged 18½, he was stopped by the police on his way home from college for a routine stop and search. He and his friends who he was dropping off home were told to get out of the car and they were searched there and then.

He and his friends were scared to say the least, their first run in with the police.
End of the day they had nothing to hide and had done nothing wrong so he let them get on with their duty.

It was a good cop bad cop combo that stopped them.
The ‘bad cop’ searched his car and found his dads wooden pick axe handle in the car as he's a carpenter.
It had been in the car for ages and he never thought of taking it out, stupidly my OH left it in the car and thought it would be clever to keep it in the car for protection.

He told the officer that he was keeping it for protection as the college he was attending was quite rough at the time. Bingo!! The officer smiled and started taking down his details.

Before he knew it, he was asked to go to court where he pleased guilty straight away and received a £20 fine and £25 court costs and what he thought was a slap on the wrists, nothing more, especially not a criminal record.

It also appears reading here:-
http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...%20Records.pdf
that his record will stay on the PNC database for a total 20 years from the date of the offence, hence, another 2½ years.

Since 1990 he has behaved and is of good character, this has been his only run in with the law.

The problem is that he and I assumed that he didn’t have a criminal record therefore, I didn’t state it on our Skilled Visa application.

He has asked his manager for a character reference just in case.

What are the implications of all this as we are on the final stretch now and it has ruined our weekend. Only an England victory against SA tonight will cheer me up.

Thanks.

I cant believe he even ended up in Court to begin with. It's a bit like being arrested for thinking about having too many drinks in the pub before driving & then not or saying in passing that you'd like to "kill" someone who has annoyed you. Just a thought NOT an action. Your OH hadn't actually done anything wrong!

I hope things work out for you-I'm sure it will be fine as at the end of the day he didn't do anything wrong and as regards not putting it on the form it is (or was til now) such a distant memory it would be easy to claim forgetfulness.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

OH Here.

Thanks for the replies gang.

Honesty is the best policy therefore I admitted to the offence straight away when I was told that carrying the handle was illegal.

I was also told by these policeman that if I pleaded guilty straight away, which I did, that I'd only receive a fine and a warning as it was my first offence.

At the time I was just glad it was all over and have never thought about the incident until now.

All the jobs I've had since then which required a criminal record checks haven't caused any problems so I just assumed I was in the clear.

I am going to look into the possibility of obtaining the actual report that was filed by these officers. Only for the fact that it will state it was a wooden handle and not a rocket propelled grenade or something of that nature, something which the PNC check fails mention "Offensive Weapon" could mean anything.

May help with the application if anything and help get things into perspective.

Regards.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Why dont you post your thread in the Immigration section, you might get more suitable answers to your question from an agent who frequently visit that site.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Why dont you post your thread in the Immigration section, you might get more suitable answers to your question from an agent who frequently visit that site.
Will do, thanks...still trying to get over the shock of seeing the PNC in black & White...
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaxH
Will do, thanks...still trying to get over the shock of seeing the PNC in black & White...
you welcome, I bet you are, hope all goes well for you guys.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

If its any consolation my hubby has a criminal record for urinating in a public place (he's gonna love me for telling you this - These silly things that you do when you are young!) We declared it and had no problem - we now have a visa!

Lindsey
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

You must be joking, criminal record for public peeing.
What a bunch of b*****ks is that. If thats a "criminal offence" what about driving fast, or not wearing a seatbelt.
What a joke.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

seashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
If its any consolation my hubby has a criminal record for urinating in a public place (he's gonna love me for telling you this - These silly things that you do when you are young!) We declared it and had no problem - we now have a visa!

Lindsey
mmmmm! that sounds familiar - my OH has a similar conviction (urinting in a womens public toilet, FFS -He was pissed and got the wrong door)
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

wewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to all

I was done for being drunk on the Millenium taken away by police at 00.01am !!! ....and my migration agent just asked me to write a letter expaining what happened and that never been in trouble before this or after he said it should be fine ....fingers crossed should get the visa i too didnt write it on the visa application as I thought a conviction was something major like prison but obviously not so....good luck
Old Oct 20th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Andy was eighteen too, but he did pee on the Mansion House doorstep! Last time we went to Oz we declared it on the arrivals form and they immigration officers were all P***ing themselves laughing! (obviously not in a public place )
Lindsey

Last edited by nurselindsey; Oct 20th 2007 at 5:18 pm.