Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale Australia..any ideas???

My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale Australia..any ideas???

Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

louisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nice
Smile My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale Australia..any ideas???

Hello,

We are currently in the uk awaiting our visa but we are hoping to get it in November.
Here is where we are at right now..My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale (ive noticed on sum sites that people have been told to steer clear of this place) so we would love any help,tips,good or bad reports u have to offer us . I would like to no a good suburb to live,schools,places to go etc etc. We have two small children one of 4 and another of 8 months so would need somewhere which has a great school..i need help !!!!!!

Lots of luv
Lou
xxx
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:43 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale Australia..any ideas???

Hi Louisa

I don't know anything (useful) about Melbourne, I'm afraid. What you might find useful the "search" function (in the middle of the camel-coloured stripe at the top). If you pop the word "springvale" in there, it will search through the forum for all the previous threads which have mentioned Springvale.

The search results are here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=2762133 It looks like there are a bunch of relevant threads on this topic comparing suburbs (neighbourhoods) and talking about schools etc.

Good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future
Default Re: My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale Australia..any ideas???

I am presuming you are talking about Springvale, Victoria?

If so, Springvale itself is a predominantly Asian area, this dosn't make it bad just maybe not an area for you to settle, if your Hubby works in Springvale you have a huge choice of area's around to live, city, country, beach, just depends what your budget is and what you want.

Good luck on the move.

Rob.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louisa j
Hello,

We are currently in the uk awaiting our visa but we are hoping to get it in November.
Here is where we are at right now..My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale (ive noticed on sum sites that people have been told to steer clear of this place) so we would love any help,tips,good or bad reports u have to offer us . I would like to no a good suburb to live,schools,places to go etc etc. We have two small children one of 4 and another of 8 months so would need somewhere which has a great school..i need help !!!!!!

Lots of luv
Lou
xxx
Hi Lou,

Look personally I wouldn't live in Springvale, it has quite a "rough" reputation as a suburb especially at night. It has a high chinese population, not that that in itself is a particular problem, Melbourne has a lot of very diverse cultures and most suburbs are associated with one or another. However, saying that, there is no reason what so ever that your hubby shouldn't take a job there. You don't have to live in Sprinvale. My first job was in Springvale when we arrived 5 years ago and we live in Mornington!! It was a bit of a commute and you could find many great suburbs closer but it's easily doable. But I wouold avoid Springvale as a place to raise a family.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

louisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nicelouisa j is just really nice

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Hi Lou,

Look personally I wouldn't live in Springvale, it has quite a "rough" reputation as a suburb especially at night. It has a high chinese population, not that that in itself is a particular problem, Melbourne has a lot of very diverse cultures and most suburbs are associated with one or another. However, saying that, there is no reason what so ever that your hubby shouldn't take a job there. You don't have to live in Sprinvale. My first job was in Springvale when we arrived 5 years ago and we live in Mornington!! It was a bit of a commute and you could find many great suburbs closer but it's easily doable. But I wouold avoid Springvale as a place to raise a family.
Hello everyone thanks for ur reply's.....nice to hear from someone that has been and worked in springvale. would you be able to give me names of suburbs that are good and which ones to advoid by any chance ??

Thanks Lou

xxxx
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:43 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=springvale
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663934
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633729
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617217
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you ever so much for these links, they where really usefull! I think we both like Mornington so im always looking at houses to rent at the mo!

Lou
xx
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Springvale would not choose to live there. Its a very diverse suburb. There used to be a migrant hostel at Springvale and so a lot of Vietnamese people live in the area as when the hostel was operating that was the suburb they arrived in. I like Springvale I find it quite fascinating I like to shop there on occasion, the butchers and fish mongers etc are great. Also the little cafes. Its like being in Asia in Melbourne. To me its not visually attractive as a suburb but would not describe it as "rough" that is doing a disservice to the many many law abiding citizens who live in the area.

Of course like every suburb it has its undesirable element but do not believe they specifically live there.

Its not a bad commute from Frankston, and the Peninsula now we have Eastlink and bypass road which avoids the train crossing at Springvale which is a bottle neck.

You could look at Dingley Village which is not far, Aspendale Gardens, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Mordialloc, Parkdale, Bon Beach, Patterson Lakes, Carrum, Chelsea Heights all these suburbs are easy commute to Springvale.

If you have to use public transport say the train then you could look at Narre Warren, Berwick in the south as they are on the Pakenham train line.

Also could look at Glen Waverley not a bad commute from that side either.

Realestate.com.au will give you an idea of the properties and prices and you could use google to see street scapes.

Good luck
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I worked in Springvale would not choose to live there. Its a very diverse suburb. There used to be a migrant hostel at Springvale and so a lot of Vietnamese people live in the area as when the hostel was operating that was the suburb they arrived in. I like Springvale I find it quite fascinating I like to shop there on occasion, the butchers and fish mongers etc are great. Also the little cafes. Its like being in Asia in Melbourne. To me its not visually attractive as a suburb but would not describe it as "rough" that is doing a disservice to the many many law abiding citizens who live in the area.

Of course like every suburb it has its undesirable element but do not believe they specifically live there.

Its not a bad commute from Frankston, and the Peninsula now we have Eastlink and bypass road which avoids the train crossing at Springvale which is a bottle neck.

You could look at Dingley Village which is not far, Aspendale Gardens, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Mordialloc, Parkdale, Bon Beach, Patterson Lakes, Carrum, Chelsea Heights all these suburbs are easy commute to Springvale.

If you have to use public transport say the train then you could look at Narre Warren, Berwick in the south as they are on the Pakenham train line.

Also could look at Glen Waverley not a bad commute from that side either.

Realestate.com.au will give you an idea of the properties and prices and you could use google to see street scapes.

Good luck
Suburb advice came up on a Brisbane thread recently.

I'd also say that people should not necessarily rent (or rather buy) near work because that first employment location might not be typical of where that work is normally based and many industries are location-based and of course, for office workers, you can't beat the city...Just a thought. I'd rather be say 20mins further away if I know that my next job(s) are likely to be somewhere else.

In fact, my typical place of work is the furthest I would probably have to go - which means - ha! that any nearer is a bonus..like it is now..
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Hello everyone....Just thought id update u and ask for some more help...our visa's have been accepted and im scared and very exicted at the same time ,we arrive to Sunny Oz in January, we r looking at moving to Mornington as it looks lovely and im hoping to get into a midwife course asap,does anyone no where i would start and do the colleges have child care faculties???

Thanks lou
xxxxx
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My hubby has been offered a job in Springvale Australia..any ideas???

Originally Posted by louisa j
Hello everyone....Just thought id update u and ask for some more help...our visa's have been accepted and im scared and very exicted at the same time ,we arrive to Sunny Oz in January, we r looking at moving to Mornington as it looks lovely and im hoping to get into a midwife course asap,does anyone no where i would start and do the colleges have child care faculties???

Thanks lou
xxxxx
Congratulations - I assume hubby accepted the job in Springvale? Mornington wouldn't be too bad a commute from there - maybe 40 mins? Mornington has an enourmous English community which would attract some people to live there.

BB
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

You cannot go wrong with the Mornington Pen, Great place for families! you will love it
Good Luck with the move