Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Head Hurts.....Where do we go from here??

My Head Hurts.....Where do we go from here??

Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Scary is an unknown quantity at this point
Question My Head Hurts.....Where do we go from here??

Hi All!

OK, this is only my second ever topic so sorry if i'm doing it wrong!

Not sure were to start really, so many questions.

Right we (hubby and me) are hoping to go to Oz via a 457 temporary visa and hopefully apply to PR when we are there. I know from reading on here that there are some downsides to doing it this way but for us it is the right way, so that sorted i have loads of questions still!

I have been in touch with the local health authority to where we want to be (Frankston Vic) and spoken to the nurse manager and the "visa man" and they are fairly sure that they would be happy to sponsor me, i am an a+e nurse by the way. So we would like to be in Australia in January, but notsure about the timing of everything.

We have some stuff here which we need to let come to a conclusion before we actually do anything further, so will probably be able to start the ball rolling at the begining of sept.

I need to give 1 months notice at work
Hubby needs to give 3 months
We have a house here which we want to sell

The people i spoke to at the hospital said that i need to send a CV when we are ready to go ahead and then hopefully they will offer me a post, then they will instruct the "visa man" to start our visa process, once he has done that and we have done the bits from our end, ie forms police checks, etc hopefully they will grant the visa and we can go.

This is were i get a bit nervous, presumably once the visa is granted they will want me to start fairly soon, but we are a tad warey of selling the house and hubby handing in his notice before we are sure we are going to get the visa. I thought about trying to sort out my Australian nurse registration soon but i don't really want my employers to know at this stage that i am going to leave either, do they/will they contact my employer??

Just interested to know what other people have done, i'm guessing that we may have to get the house on the market before we are sure of anything definate, i guess that selling the house will take time tho so we could always pull out if things don't go our way?

Is it just me or does it all get more confussing the more you think about it??

Any advice anyone??

Claire x
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:19 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Head Hurts.....Where do we go from here??

Hi Claire,

do a search for the name "carolinegorka". Then send her a PM. (She did something very similar to what you're planning. And if I remember correctly, she came out first while husband stayed in the UK until house was sold.)

Gina
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Head Hurts.....Where do we go from here??

Originally Posted by Scary
Hi All!

OK, this is only my second ever topic so sorry if i'm doing it wrong!

Not sure were to start really, so many questions.

Right we (hubby and me) are hoping to go to Oz via a 457 temporary visa and hopefully apply to PR when we are there. I know from reading on here that there are some downsides to doing it this way but for us it is the right way, so that sorted i have loads of questions still!

I have been in touch with the local health authority to where we want to be (Frankston Vic) and spoken to the nurse manager and the "visa man" and they are fairly sure that they would be happy to sponsor me, i am an a+e nurse by the way. So we would like to be in Australia in January, but notsure about the timing of everything.

We have some stuff here which we need to let come to a conclusion before we actually do anything further, so will probably be able to start the ball rolling at the begining of sept.

I need to give 1 months notice at work
Hubby needs to give 3 months
We have a house here which we want to sell

The people i spoke to at the hospital said that i need to send a CV when we are ready to go ahead and then hopefully they will offer me a post, then they will instruct the "visa man" to start our visa process, once he has done that and we have done the bits from our end, ie forms police checks, etc hopefully they will grant the visa and we can go.

This is were i get a bit nervous, presumably once the visa is granted they will want me to start fairly soon, but we are a tad warey of selling the house and hubby handing in his notice before we are sure we are going to get the visa. I thought about trying to sort out my Australian nurse registration soon but i don't really want my employers to know at this stage that i am going to leave either, do they/will they contact my employer??

Just interested to know what other people have done, i'm guessing that we may have to get the house on the market before we are sure of anything definate, i guess that selling the house will take time tho so we could always pull out if things don't go our way?

Is it just me or does it all get more confussing the more you think about it??

Any advice anyone??

Claire x
Hi Claire!

Know where you are coming from - we went thru the same last year!

We came out on a 457 2 yr visa. Hubby and I could not tell anyone about it apart from very close family because of the work situation! Which was hell for us believe me! When were finally able to tell the relevant people(work) - they were so shocked it took them weeks to get over it! Also, cause we had to leave it to the last possible minute - we did not have time to say goodbye to all our works mates which was a shame.

The company that sponsered Bix on the 457 visa, also sponsered him for a PR visa very soon after arriving. Both applications moved VERY fast for us!
The 457 from start to fin took around 3 months, thats from - job offer - acceptance - contract - their application bit - then ours - to approval!

The PR was even quicker believe it or not! This is our experience though not the same for everybody! From start to finish it took 33 days! AMAZING EH!

It is never easy to know when to 'sell your house' but all I will say to you is, we wish we had put it on the market earlier as the short time we had left from the 457 being granted to leaving - did not give us enough time to sell our house! It can take ages even after you have sold to exchange contracts! There have been so many posts about this! One of those 'catch 22' situations I'm afraid - there never is a right time I suppose, especially when there are so many 'what ifs' hanging in the air!

There are no easy answers - and yes, it does get confusing because there is so much to think about while still carrying on with your every days lives
It will all be worth it though just to be able to experience Australia

Take care and good luck with every step you take - (Police I think) he he!!

Gill