Reload this Page >

My first couple of weeks...

My first couple of weeks...

Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My first couple of weeks...

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been in touch for so long, but much has happened since I lost spoke to you all - probably in late August.

Well, me and my wife decided a couple of months travelling around the States on the way to Australia was a good idea while our stuff was being shipped and we had a fantastic time - forgot all about emigrating really! After emotional farewells to family at Heathrow, we went to NY, Miami, Key West, New Orleans, Memphis, Dallas, Las Vegas, LA, San Francisco and finally Hawaii before we stood at Honolulu Airport on Nov 1 finally realising this was it - we were heading for Oz!

We landed at Brisbane airport with our two suitcases and two backpacks at about 10.30am, picked up by my wife's cousin, who lives with her family in a northern suburb of Brisbane, Bracken Ridge. This is where we are staying until we find jobs.

It was all so exciting. Without boring you too much, since we landed we have had a good look around the city, been to Redcliffe, Wynnum, Manly and up to the Sunshine Coast a couple of times which is absolutely stunning.

We are in the process at the moment of getting jobs, and after that, we will look for a place to live. We are definitely not settled but my first impressions of Brisbane are that it is a fantastic place and I am so glad we have moved.

The weather (the main reason we moved) has been gorgeous and the people are friendly and the city and surrounding area is everything we'd have hoped for.

To anyone wondering whether they are doing the right thing, go for it, you've got nothing to lose.

We are extremely happy, and although we know we do have to get jobs and get into a normal routine, the option of going surfing rather than staying in at weekends because it is too cold out is already a thrilling prospect!

Good luck everyone who is applying or is moving and I will write again when I get a chance,

Take care,

Gavin

P.S Come on England on Saturday!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gavin - from the other Pom who landed in Brissie Nov 2nd!
Glad you're enjoying it - so am I; we seem to have been to much the same places too - I haven't been right up the Sunshine Coast yet this time but have done it in the past.
Brisbane really is lovely isn't it (and the weather). The Bloke and I are in Clayfield, and I'm job hunting too.
Don't know if you've seen the thread but we are having a meet on the foreshore at Wynnum on December 14th - seems to be a lot of people dropping in (and not all Brits, cos theres my Bloke, and Mrs Dagboy and a few other Aussies). Look back a couple of days and you'll find it.
I echo all you said - its a brilliant place to be, and I have no regrets at all.......
However, I shall be shouting for Australia on Saturday....!!!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Hi Gavin
Great to see a nice positive post and that your enjoying your new life so much. After all that travelling too sounds fantastic!
Altho it's good to read the negative posts as every1 can take off there rose tinted glasses and no what the downsides can be when they finaully arrive.
But your post has just cheered me up no end

Good luck with the job hunting

Claire

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you are both enjoying Brisbane, it makes us all feel a bit more positive.

i've not been on the site very long, but i am now addicted. Pollyana you where the first person whose post I read and because you are in Brisbane I have followed your postings since. Glad your having a great time. keep up the good work of calming us pommies, left behind.

Stef
Brisbane bound as soon as someone buys our house
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Stef, Thats really appreciated! I do enjoy posting on here (whether its the serious ones or the drivel !!) And its nice to know that there is someone out there who is getting something out of it - be it a laugh, or some real info or whatever! I was lucky, I didn't have a long wait, if you are one of those waiting months for a visa I guess you need us out here to keep you going!
Brisbane is still looking good tonight, I've taken off my rosy sepcs cos its a bit dark now, but I've got Tassie beer, decent Aussie cheese (courtesy of Mrs Dagboy, shes a godsend!), and only 2 job rejections, so life's OK. Downside at present? The Bloke has the air con on full, cos he says he's hot, I am sitting here in thick woolly socks, 2 shirts, & long trousers (wish I hadn't sent my gloves by sea....) - its blooming freezing!!!!!!:scared:
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollyana

We hopefully won't have to wait long. We are going on a long term 4 year business visa, and are being sponsored. We sent our application off last week and were told by the Agency employed by our sponsor, that we should hear in 2-4 weeks. so we are in a mad rush sorting things out. we only have one problem we have the house to sell, it's only been on the market 4 weeks, but don't want to wait round once we hear if we have been accepted. Hubby has phoned me from work to tell me to drop the price a little and add NO CHAIN, so lets see if that works.

Stef
with a poorly son on my knee
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:14 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you again Gav. Glad that you like Bris so far too.....we fly in less that 2 weeks !!!! :scared:
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Gav

Great read and pleased to see you are getting on fine - best of luck with everything else (apart from Saturday if you don't mind ).

Funny you mentioned some of the places in Brisbane because I was watching a Hot Auctions on a tape my folks sent to me. It was a recent episode and it showed a house in Redford (?), next to the trotting track, being auctioned. The couple who bought it were shown on Red Cliff beach - looked great. Oh, $206,000 for a 'Queenslander' in need of a fair bit of DIY in case anyone is wondering.

OzTennis