Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Doberman has landed

My Doberman has landed

Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:49 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Doberman has landed

Well, last night I went to Brisbane airport to collect Max our faithful Dobie. his flight was delayed and apparently this was much to do with him since his original crate fits into a 747 jumbo no worries, but wont fit into a smaller plane up from Sydney. But at 7pm from around the corner comes this big dobie in rental cage who was looking really sorry for himself I must say.

After 6 weeks of not seeing him it took a few moments for him to recognise our voices and then he went mad. I thought he was going to break out of it!

Wello Point is quite close to the airport and Max did the rounds last night of the house..again...and again..and much into the night and did I mention at 3am ? Finally settled down and seems happy enough.

For anyone shipping to Brisbane, there is no quarantine station here and they have to fly into Sydney. Rather than subject him to 13 hours in a car we decided he may as well fly again and got a company called Dogtainers to collect him and put him on the plane. Total cost was about $350. Well worth it and highly recommend this company who were brilliant (www.dogtainers.com.au)

Anyone thinking of shipping dogs please check out www.airpets.co.uk - we had our fair share of problems thanks to our Muppet of a vet in the UK (Do NOT ever use the Laurels Vet Center in Bromley Kent) - but they overcame them professionally and were brilliant.

We'll I'm off this morning to take Max down to the Point for a stroll along the beach :-)
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: My Doberman has landed

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well, last night I went to Brisbane airport to collect Max our faithful Dobie. his flight was delayed and apparently this was much to do with him since his original crate fits into a 747 jumbo no worries, but wont fit into a smaller plane up from Sydney. But at 7pm from around the corner comes this big dobie in rental cage who was looking really sorry for himself I must say.

After 6 weeks of not seeing him it took a few moments for him to recognise our voices and then he went mad. I thought he was going to break out of it!

Wello Point is quite close to the airport and Max did the rounds last night of the house..again...and again..and much into the night and did I mention at 3am ? Finally settled down and seems happy enough.

For anyone shipping to Brisbane, there is no quarantine station here and they have to fly into Sydney. Rather than subject him to 13 hours in a car we decided he may as well fly again and got a company called Dogtainers to collect him and put him on the plane. Total cost was about $350. Well worth it and highly recommend this company who were brilliant (www.dogtainers.com.au)

Anyone thinking of shipping dogs please check out www.airpets.co.uk - we had our fair share of problems thanks to our Muppet of a vet in the UK (Do NOT ever use the Laurels Vet Center in Bromley Kent) - but they overcame them professionally and were brilliant.

We'll I'm off this morning to take Max down to the Point for a stroll along the beach :-)
Happy for you and happy for Max Now he can settle in with his owners.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:55 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Doberman has landed

Really pleased to see he has arrived safe and well. Ahh bless. I know how I will be when it is our two.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:03 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

Top thread, glad you have your baby back!!!
hope our bulldog is so pleased to see us after 4 weeks in quarantine!!!
Well, yes he will be, just hope he's ok after the quarantine, they must miss the attention and kisses etc...hope he doesn't become a sulker !!!!

Has your Dobey settle into the new lifestyle easily enough??? hope so. Big enough move for us that know whats going on, never mind for them that just follow us anywhere!!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Nice post ... ... and thanks for the link to Dogtainers. We'll arrive at Brisbane and and was aware mutley goes to Sydney, but also didn't want to put him (or us) through the drive from there.

He might even like flying by then ...

Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:06 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

brilliant, and now your life is complete with your 'baby'

glad to hear that he got there okay after all the hoohah at the beginning.
enjoy your time with Max
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:21 pm
Living in Oz & loving it

rick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura about

I bet it's great that he's back with you. Was you really worried about the whole thing and how old is your dog?
We are going to be taking our dog, she's 8 and I'm really not looking forward to it all.The thought of not being able to see her for 30 days and what if anything happens to her on her journey.
But we can't leave her behind she's one of the family!
So she's going to have to fly, there's no other way.
When their in quarantine in Sydney, are they not allowed outside for a walk about?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I am pleased to hear he arrived safe and sound. A friend of ours has a dog that they will be bringing if they manage to get their visas so I will give her the info on carriers.

Amanda
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:52 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My Doberman has landed

Thanks for the info - -have put the 2 sites in my faves as I have to sort all this for my cat Jeff.

We're going to Adelaide which is the same deal so the one about the internal flight transfer is really helpful

Cheers
xRachx
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Elly13 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the link we have booked our spaniel with airpets but they cant fly him to melbourne until mid jan [we leave in a fortnight] so they have booked him into sydney. means we wont be able to visit.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:04 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to a few posts, Max is 3 1/2 years old but being a Dobie is nervie and frankly a bit spoilt by me up to date.

He just came back from Wello Point half an hour ago and I've had to wash the sea salt off his legs because he was throwing himself in the water so much. Was such a pleasure seeing him run through the waves.

Of course since its about 30 degrees at the moment and 10am he's completely knackered now and decided to claim the patio under shade near my feet is his new home!

Whereas before in the UK I may have had a hyperactive dog I think now I will just have a flaked hot dog instead

I'm sure he'll cope. At the moment he's trying to get used to the pool and not being allowed to chuck himself in.

Anyway - attached photo of said hot mutt. Good luck with everyone shipping - frankly its heartbreaking and not nice but it is worth it.
Attached Thumbnails My Doberman has landed-dsc00332.jpg  
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

Anyway - attached photo of said hot mutt. Good luck with everyone shipping - frankly its heartbreaking and not nice but it is worth it.
Maxs mum here If anyone is worried about how the animals are looked after in quaranteen i can tell you they are superb.

If you look at the photo of max and see how shiny his coat is and how podgy he is i think it will show you how well he was looked after.

We were given the mobile telephone number of his carer who you can phone everyday if you wish to see how the little ones are getting on. I found them really helpful and the best bit is that you know they spend time with the animals because they tell you little stories of what they have been up to and they even know all of their habits so you know they are telling the truth

Hopefully this will put someones mind at risk and using the 2 companies that Centurion recommended i wouldnt hesitate in using them again.

michelle
xxx
Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:09 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I have a big soft spot for Dobies My sister has had many dobermanns for nearly the last 20yrs. Some rescue animals with lots of problems (caused by horrible previous owners), but now she has a 3 yr old and having a look at a baby one next week so hopefully she will soon have another little girl.

They are wonderful dogs and Max looks like he is easily get use to beach life. Is he your first dobie?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by walaj
I have a big soft spot for Dobies My sister has had many dobermanns for nearly the last 20yrs. Some rescue animals with lots of problems (caused by horrible previous owners), but now she has a 3 yr old and having a look at a baby one next week so hopefully she will soon have another little girl.

They are wonderful dogs and Max looks like he is easily get use to beach life. Is he your first dobie?
He is indeed our first Dobe. Didnt go into them completely blind and realised the challenge which was the Doberman personality. Of course - books dont quite describe just how much of a handful they can be

They are without doubt one of the most rewarding breeds I have ever owned. Once you own a Dobe you will never again have to go to the loo alone - they follow you everywhere

Will need to get him a companion once we've moved into the new house once built. Wont go for 2 dobes together as could be a complete nightmare and thinking perhaps a Rottie but know realistically it will be any dog which Max gets on with and needs rescuing
Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Great post - delighted for you that you have Max back safe and sound. We've got all this ahead of us. Moving to Gold Coast in Feb/Mar, our dog having to go to Sydney. I'll add that firm you used to my list of favourites - thanks. Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.