Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

Wikiposts

My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:22 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

How about 'it's pining for the fjords....'

Sorry not a good time to be flippant, I guess you can only tell her the truth, I'm sure you'll feel better if you do in the long run.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:27 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
..or nail it to its perch. She might not notice
Worzel!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My Daughters budgie died yesterday !

It seemed perfectly OK before I went to the shops, but died within 30 minutes of me getting back.
That will teach you for shopping so far from home .

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Is there nowhere you can keep it till she comes home then you could bury it somewhere together.
Don't laugh - when I was younger my sister-in-law put my nieces budgie in the freezer after it died. That would have not been so bad, but she kept it in there for about 6 months & couldn't face burying it cos she felt guilty cos she blamed herself for it dying . (Before anyone asks, yes, my SIL is a bit of a ditz! )
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

She has been overseas for the last 10 days, and gets back on Tuesday, i'm dreading the reaction when she gets back and finds out. (She's 9)

I fed it, I gave it water, but it still died on me !!!

What do I tell her ? Do I tell her when she rings, or wait till she gets back ?

It seemed perfectly OK before I went to the shops, but died within 30 minutes of me getting back.

I've normally got an answer to most things, but this has me worried :scared:
Let her watch this little video - you both might cry if you love your animals...
www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:39 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Let her watch this little video - you both might cry if you love your animals...
www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

FFS i am sitting here crying and the kids think i have lost it big time.

Very touching
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:41 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by mr mover
Slow learner,? I wonder what else they did to you over the years Tell your Daughter it has gone to join the wild budgies in central Australia,all 30million of them.............. mm
Not that slow....I grew up to earn lots of money .......paying others to move house for me cos I was too expensive..... and couldn't be arsed

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:41 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
FFS i am sitting here crying and the kids think i have lost it big time.

Very touching
Me too, I'm bawling my eyes out

D D
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
if she has ever had an inclination towards buying a dog you are about to find out in earnest.
Your reply has me worried !!

I'm beginning to wonder if buying a new one that looks the same might not be a bad idea But how do I train it to sit on my head within 3 days, like the old one did every day !!

I'll definately wait she gets home though.

I did consider putting it in the freezer, but wasn't sure, so I buried it this afternoon.

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:52 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

how do I train it to sit on my head within 3 days, like the old one did every day !!
OK...here's the Tia Maria & coke strategy: Go get a budgie that looks the same, super glue it's legs to your head for the next three days.

Hey presto...by time your daughter gets home....uno budgio will be happy to sit on yer bonce all day

PS: Don't forget bog roll for it's do-do's.Three days worth of budgie plopps is no fun...and DONT put a hat on
PPS: Dont pull its legs off when you go to unstick it

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I did consider putting it in the freezer, but wasn't sure, so I buried it this afternoon.
:scared: Nooooo, go & dig it up right now ABC! You need to put it in the freezer!! ( if for no other reason than so I can haved a giggle at the thought of you digging in the back garden in the dark trying to find it )
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:52 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to offer you great advice, but I don't have any. I think honesty is the best policy. Point out that it was almost 98 in budgie years and it had a good life (mind you, if sitting on your head each day was its highlight, that might be stretching the truth a little).

Your tale did remind me of a bad joke though

A man goes off on holiday leaving his neighbour to keep an eye on his house, feed the cat and keep an eye on his grandma, who lives with him.

Two days later, he rings the neighbour to see how things are.

"How is the cat?" he asks.
"The cat is dead." Says the neighbour.

"That is terrible" says the man, "and more importantly, you could have broken it to me more gently."

"How?" asks the neighbour.

"Well," says the man, "you could have told me the cat is on the roof and won't come down. Then the next day you could have said the cat still won't come down and is looking very weak, then the next day you could have said the cat fell and is in a pretty bad way, then you could have said we tried everything, but there was nothing we could do."

"Ah, I see" says the neighbour.

"Anyway," says the man, "how is Grandma?"

"She is up on the roof and she won't come down....."

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:43 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I would love to offer you great advice, but I don't have any. I think honesty is the best policy. Point out that it was almost 98 in budgie years and it had a good life (mind you, if sitting on your head each day was its highlight, that might be stretching the truth a little).

Your tale did remind me of a bad joke though

A man goes off on holiday leaving his neighbour to keep an eye on his house, feed the cat and keep an eye on his grandma, who lives with him.

Two days later, he rings the neighbour to see how things are.

"How is the cat?" he asks.
"The cat is dead." Says the neighbour.

"That is terrible" says the man, "and more importantly, you could have broken it to me more gently."

"How?" asks the neighbour.

"Well," says the man, "you could have told me the cat is on the roof and won't come down. Then the next day you could have said the cat still won't come down and is looking very weak, then the next day you could have said the cat fell and is in a pretty bad way, then you could have said we tried everything, but there was nothing we could do."

"Ah, I see" says the neighbour.

"Anyway," says the man, "how is Grandma?"

"She is up on the roof and she won't come down....."

Cheers,

DagBoy
Now that's quite funny.

On a serious note though I recall when I was little looking after a neighbour's guinea pig while she went on hols. I was about 10 - neighbour about 7 or 8. I had a guinea pig and we used to put the runs together so that they could eat the grass all day. Came home and neighbour's guinea pig is stiff on the lawn. Cried every day till she came home, then went with dad to break the news. She never battered an eyelid and I had been inconsolable for a week. You never know ABC, your daughter may surprise you!

Shelley x
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:54 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

sorry ABC, but i can only say honesty is the best.

Can i add that my fiance has just asked i it is now a BritishExParrot.

Sorry!!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

She has been overseas for the last 10 days, and gets back on Tuesday, i'm dreading the reaction when she gets back and finds out. (She's 9)

I fed it, I gave it water, but it still died on me !!!

What do I tell her ? Do I tell her when she rings, or wait till she gets back ?

I've normally got an answer to most things, but this has me worried :scared:
Poor you! tell her straight- kids can take it and she'll appreciate your honesty,

Good luck Ali
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:08 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

I'm sure everyone is right that honesty is the best policy ..... but then again...

When I was 8 we lived in Singapore and my parents bought me a tiny brown bird that used to do somersaults around its perch. Two days later they got up and found it face down in its water bowl. So they kept me away from the cage until it was time to go to school, and then dashed off to the petshop and bought a replacement. I was absolutely none the wiser, and merrily chatted away to "tweetie-pie" (original, I know) when I got home from school. Two days later, same thing. Apparently my parents went through four tweetie-pies before they finally figured it was getting silly - but as a plan, it would've worked! Anyway, we buried the bird in the garden - presumably next to all the others!

Twenty odd years later a fox ate the head off my daughter's beloved "flopsy" the bunny. Told her Flopsy had run off to live with the wild rabbits in Richmond Park! She still believes me!!

Am I a bad mother? Probably? Do I think you should buy another budgie? Probably - if you think she really will be upset, and that you could get away with it.... minor details like different markings, and completely different behaviour - man of your wit and intelligence can easily explain that away!!?

Oh the traumas of being a parent - they never tell about this stuff at anti-natal classes!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.