My Braces!

Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

The Coulsons will become famous soon enoughThe Coulsons will become famous soon enough
Default My Braces!

Hi I am moving to the gold coast in january and i have been wearing fixed braces for over year to correct my impacted cainines. Does anybody know of an orthodentist that would be able to continue this treatment I have done a search and it seems most take off the braces and start again.

I know the costs are expensive I have already paid a fortune in the uk to get to the stage i am at now and am worried i will have to pay again as i only have about 9 months left.

I have also read about long waiting lists (over a year)but do think that is for new treatment only surely not for just the tightening etc i currently go once a month.

thanks for any help/advice
Debbie
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Braces!

I don't think you would have to wait. A lot of dentists do orthodontics as well. My son had his done by our dentist. Cost a fortune. We had extras health insurance at the time and it covered some of it. Of course there is a waiting period for that to kick in.

We pay for all our dentistry here unless. There is a dental hospital here in Melbourne but its like a 3 year wait for anything.

When you arrive speak to others and ask who would be good, also ask your present dentist often they know people overseas and can point you in the right direction. He/she could give you a letter explaining your treatment.

Good luck sure someone will come along and give you a good practitioner.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not aware of waiting lists for basic orthodontic work. Don't worry about them wanting to take them off and start again. If they've been done properly and you're happy with the result, they will leave them and just continue treatment. It's your mouth - you decide what you want done in it There are obviously a fair few good orthodontists on the coast but ideally we'd need to know whereabout you're headed. No point in giving you the details of one at the opposite end of the coast from where you're living.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I know I was told here in NZ not to get braces done here, but to wait until we got to Australia because few dentists would want to continue someone else's work. However, if you've nearly finished I doubt that would happen. Do a search on here for dental treatment or similar because there was an informative thread a while back and I'm sure someone said their child's braces were left on and the dentist was happy to tighten etc. If not, I think you'd need to get really stroppy with the dentist and insist.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:11 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I have knowledge of starting treatment in Australia and then moving overseas, but not the other way around.

There are so many different types of braces. An Australian orthodontist will make contact with an overseas orthodontist for you before you leave the country.
For example, on a move from Australia to Korea the orthodontist here made contact with the new orthodontist through a phone call, and then sent letters and details to Korea in advance.

Speak to the person you are seieng now because if you are going to have an easy transfer to someone else it would be best if your current orthodontist was involved in the process.