My ANZAC day

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:00 am
Badge

Default My ANZAC day

Stood in line with the CFA (Country Fire Authority) and watched all the RSL mob lay their wreaths.

Each man's name on the memorial was read out and a scout knocked in a single cross on the grass - it took half an hour.

Had a 3 biplanes fly past at LOW level (just for our village!) at 11.15pm.

Felt embarassed that I wasn't fluent in the national anthem.

I made up for it at the end, the bloke said, "Well, I know it is not traditional anymore, but we'll sing 'God Save The Queen'". He was almost embarassed and people exchanged glances amongst themselves.

Everyone sang, then on the bit where it goes da da da da (""Send her victorious") ie after the first 2 lines (!) everyone forgot the words and I found myself the only singer.. so I had to finish with glances coming my way.

Found myself coming to attention at the Last Post which only served to embarass myself even more. Old habits die hard.

I am impressed the way Australians observe Anzac day.

B

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My ANZAC day

Originally Posted by Badge
Stood in line with the CFA (Country Fire Authority) and watched all the RSL mob lay their wreaths.

Each man's name on the memorial was read out and a scout knocked in a single cross on the grass - it took half an hour.

I made up for it at the end, the bloke said, "Well, I know it is not traditional anymore, but we'll sing 'God Save The Queen'". He was almost embarassed and people exchanged glances amongst themselves.

Everyone sang, then on the bit where it goes da da da da (""Send her victorious") ie after the first 2 lines (!) everyone forgot the words and I found myself the only singer.. so I had to finish with glances coming my way.

Found myself coming to attention at the Last Post which only served to embarass myself even more. Old habits die hard.

B
Sounds like the day had a Profound impact Badge, Would have liked to see you standing to attention, Yes people are very reverant about the past which is great
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL!! (i've heard you warble remember!!)

Was it moving though??
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:25 am
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs
PMSL!! (i've heard you warble remember!!)
Bugger. I hope I warmed up before hand.

Originally Posted by hevs
Was it moving though??

Not really moving, but a serious business in my opinion.

Badge

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I felt quite moved when i passed the memorial in Berwick and saw the flags at half mast and the very old people looking so dignified in the rows of chairs that had been placed out. I think its nice that the day is so respectful (and theres the Anzac day footie match as well)
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:17 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite so reverant but a typical and telling example of how in my opinion Aus is better than the US....

We went to Dreamworld on Anzac day - taking the oppty of kids out of school to use those season tickets.... It was shut! Closed until 1300 - and no rides operating until 1330 - they adhered to it too - you couldnt do anything in the park until 1330.. Dreamworld was pretty much empty for rest of afternoon.

Can you just imagine Disneyland Florida closing even for 15 minutes out of respect for anything? Or sainsburys closing for anything other than easter.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Badge

B
Very happy to know you are impressed with how Australians' commemorate ANZAC Day. We can be truly single minded regarding our ANZAC's and, as an Aussie with family members who fought in WW1 at Gallipoli and on the Western Front, I find it so gratifying to see so many Aussie's and Kiwi's of a younger age showing the respect (and interest in our history) our old soldiers deserve. Their dignity is a lesson to all of us. I write 'single minded'ness because we Aussies and NZedders can be insular in our regard to our war vetrans and at times we tend to forget the 1000's of British and Irish, French and Indian troops who also lost their lives at Gallipoli, which was afterall, a costly victory for the Turks. My ANZAC Day was spent touring through the Somme Heritage Centre near Newtownards in Northern Ireland... and as moving as it was, I still missed being at the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne... to say big heartfelt thankyou to those who served.