Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)

Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)

Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)

Originally Posted by fish.01
Hey snapshot...just a trivial FYI, I think you meant Katoomba rather than Toowoomba.

I was just wondering which town SS meant there.

snapShot, Toowoomba is about ten to eleven hours drive from Sydney.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you're right.

Katoomba it is. It was a few degrees cooler, so if you're going, take a jacket or jumper with you.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:36 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 28th 2016, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
We drove out to the Blue Mountains, about two hours drive away from Sydney. Very picturesque.

We walked the 'thousand steps' down to the bottom of the valley at the, 'Blue Mountains'. It was beautiful. Where ever you are in the world when you walk down a flight of steps you are looking outwards, when you walk up steps, you are facing inwards. We got the funicular railway back to the visitors centre at the top.

Most people look at the funicular railway and assume the walk back to the top of the valley can't be that bad.....
Yes, this is a must-do day trip from Sydney. I went by train to Katoomba and walked to the visitor centre. I took the stairs down into the valley but walked back up. The walk up is quite easy and well signposted.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yup, apparently spiders are in abundance this year!

Bondi to Bronte coastal walk sounds like it would fit the bill.
Yup, Coogee beach is my favourite Altho I'm not sure how to spell it
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Wouldn't have a clue. The locals just use their phones. I guess you will need it because you will be on a foreign phone?

Try this googled site.

Where to find free Wifi in Sydney - Sydney Moving Guide
Erh...yes...I use my phone to access wifi.

Actually I've been researching some eateries and see a couple of places with photos and the "wifi" sign up, so that looks good.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Erh...yes...I use my phone to access wifi.

Actually I've been researching some eateries and see a couple of places with photos and the "wifi" sign up, so that looks good.
I meant locals just use the mobile data 4G in Sydney so quicker than wifi.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 7:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:11 am

Hey guys. Thanks for all your contributions to this topic. I had a good time. It was very interesting.

I was somewhat limited to where my relatives took me but did....

Central Sydney: Opera house, bridge, Darling harbour, Q Victoria building, buzzing about on the ferries.

Trip to Bundeena from Cronulla.

Loads and loads and loads of walks along the promenade from Cronulla to Wanda Beach, and t'other way beyond Shelly park.

Turned beetroot red in the first two days. (She who has been living in south east asia for 11 years ) Ah but of course there is no ozone.....actually that's quite scarey. Not something I think about too much in Malaysia.

We did a trip out to Featherdale Wildlife Park. That was really fab. Can recommend that, though the roads are bumper-to-bumper.

I also really liked Kurnell. What an interesting place. Some history. And that seems to be what is missing in Sydney..... history. Or did I not visit the right places?

Oh and I saw Mr and Mrs Seasider
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys. Thanks for all your contributions to this topic. I had a good time. It was very interesting.

I was somewhat limited to where my relatives took me but did....

Central Sydney: Opera house, bridge, Darling harbour, Q Victoria building, buzzing about on the ferries.

Trip to Bundeena from Cronulla.

Loads and loads and loads of walks along the promenade from Cronulla to Wanda Beach, and t'other way beyond Shelly park.

Turned beetroot red in the first two days. (She who has been living in south east asia for 11 years ) Ah but of course there is no ozone.....actually that's quite scarey. Not something I think about too much in Malaysia.

We did a trip out to Featherdale Wildlife Park. That was really fab. Can recommend that, though the roads are bumper-to-bumper.

I also really liked Kurnell. What an interesting place. Some history. And that seems to be what is missing in Sydney..... history. Or did I not visit the right places?

Australia lacks history - well white man history. Its only been inhabited by white man for 227 years. You don't come here for white man history.

The Rocks does white man history. It seems you missed that on your list.

Kurnell is great for plane spotting and windsurfing. Oh yes its where Captain Cook landed ..... if history is your thing.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:53 am

No time for the rocks I'm afraid.

Oh no, Kurnell has got a lot there. Alpha House (or is it Alpha Farm) is great. Some lovely trees and wildlife. I'll see if I can post some pics tomorrow.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say what people consider historic, but I would guess you did miss most of it on that itinerary.

Have a look at the below thread for examples. Note quit a few dead photo links but still plenty working to give you an idea. The more recent pages will have more working photos.

About 15 of the places on my list on the previous page were historic btw but hard to do everything in one trip.

Sydney CBD's wonderful old buildings - SkyscraperCity
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:07 am

Here's a few pics from Kurnell.
Attached Thumbnails Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)-kurnell-1.jpg   Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)-kurnell-2.jpg   Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)-kurnell-3.jpg   Must-See things in Sydney (holiday)-kurnell-4.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by fish.01
Hard to say what people consider historic, but I would guess you did miss most of it on that itinerary.

Have a look at the below thread for examples. Note quit a few dead photo links but still plenty working to give you an idea. The more recent pages will have more working photos.

About 15 of the places on my list on the previous page were historic btw but hard to do everything in one trip.

Sydney CBD's wonderful old buildings - SkyscraperCity
Yes, cannot do everything, especially without transport, and I was spending time with relatives a lot of the time.

But it was a good starter for Aus.

I did a helluva lot of walking in Cronulla. The promenade was great and nice beach views and seaweedy smells. Very Devon.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, cannot do everything, especially without transport, and I was spending time with relatives a lot of the time.

But it was a good starter for Aus.

I did a helluva lot of walking in Cronulla. The promenade was great and nice beach views and seaweedy smells. Very Devon.
Certainly is a starter. Just the tip of the iceberg. I've never heard someone talk about Kurnell in such a glowing light.

Plenty to do around Cronulla through. Not a bad starting point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.