Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MUST do's in Perth

MUST do's in Perth

Old Apr 5th 2007, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default MUST do's in Perth

Hi Perthites

I'm coming to Perth for a few days in a couple of weeks with my 10 year old daughter for the national Diving Championships.

We have a couple of days when she is not competing......so I was wondering if there are any things we 'should' do. Looking for fun things - not theme parks though - that a 10 year old would enjoy.

Thanks

Rudi
x
Old Apr 5th 2007, 2:53 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: MUST do's in Perth

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi Perthites

Looking for fun things - not theme parks though - Thanks

Rudi
x
You wont realise how funny that is until you get here, theme parks with one pitiful exception, have passed us by here.

If you are looking for good things to do, take a picnic to Kings Park, and have it sat on the grass overlooking the city and the river. Also a trip to Fremantle is good, take yourselves into Little Creatures (brewery/restaurant/cafe) Great in there, fantastic atmosphere and very children friendly, then you can have a wander around the harbour, you will quite often see seals there.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:25 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Perthites

I'm coming to Perth for a few days in a couple of weeks with my 10 year old daughter for the national Diving Championships.

We have a couple of days when she is not competing......so I was wondering if there are any things we 'should' do. Looking for fun things - not theme parks though - that a 10 year old would enjoy.

Thanks

Rudi
x
I think the only World Class attractions within a day trip here are:
Freo Prison tour
The Pinnacles (3 hour drive each way but worth it IMHO)
Kings Park and the city panorama you get from there.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

The Fremantle Explorer ferry (Captain Cook Cruises) from Barrack Street is a must do trip for the rivers edge panorama alone.

We have done it 3 times now with separate visitors and it's a wonderful insight into Perth & Freo. Each time taking lunch in Little Creatures (The Lamb sausage roles with spicey tomato chutney are something special!).

Plus there's free wine on the return home

Originally Posted by worzel
I think the only World Class attractions within a day trip here are:
Freo Prison tour
The Pinnacles (3 hour drive each way but worth it IMHO)
Kings Park and the city panorama you get from there.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

My kids love feeding the parrots in Neil Hawkins park, Joondalup. Take some wild bird seed, they seem to prefer the black seeds. Go in the morning, by midday the birds are full and not interested. Hold your hands up above your head with seed in them and the birds will land on your hands, arms and head. It makes a great pic to send home too.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

These are all lovely suggestions but I guess a bit too normal.....although the river cruise sounds good. I just want a really good fun day out - we can do picnics here in Sydney and feed the birds - I kind of want something a bit different. Are there any boat trips to see whales, or dolpins.....pehaps go snorkelling? I don't want a long drive - I know it may be good.......but for a lively 10 year old, 6 hours in the car is not a lot of fun!!

Thanks for the help everyone.......but please keep the ideas coming!!

Thanks

Rudi
x
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:09 am
Just Joined

mrs_chrispy will become famous soon enough

These are all lovely suggestions but I guess a bit too normal.....although the river cruise sounds good. I just want a really good fun day out - we can do picnics here in Sydney and feed the birds - I kind of want something a bit different. Are there any boat trips to see whales, or dolpins.....pehaps go snorkelling? I don't want a long drive - I know it may be good.......but for a lively 10 year old, 6 hours in the car is not a lot of fun!!

Thanks

Rudi
x
Hi Rudi

You can swim with dolphins down at Rockingham (not too far from Perth):

http://www.rockinghamwildencounters.com.au/

Don't think they operate through winter though

Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Unusual huh?

You can do the Prison Tour at night.

How about playing find a taxi (in either Perth or Freo) at midnight?

Find someone with an Australian accent north of Woodvale?

Try and find a good curry (anywhere in Australia)?
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:17 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks

Rudi
x
There are trips to see whales (although I dont think it is the season at the mo) however the boat stays sooooooo far from the whales, you might as well not have bothered, you can hardly see anything at all, not on our trip anyway.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

What about Rottnest island ?
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:34 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Unusual huh?

PMSL Worz

Glad its not just me then

The only place i've found in Perth decent for curry.....

My Own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:36 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

how about the boat trip around Mandurah and estury (sp) you may see some dolphins!!!

Mandurah 1 hour drive from Perth, have a stroll around the harbour etc to make a whole day of it with the boat trip too!!

Lovely place!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Unusual huh?

Very funny...lol

Dont forget Boxing in Northbridge (Fantastic Fighting Fun for all the family)

or

Skidding your cars tyres (Buy a banger, drop the clutch, and off you go)
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of want something a bit different

You could go to a park and/or a beach (that's if you like your own company because you'll probably be the only person there . That's about it here in scintillating Perth. Oh, yes forgive me for forgetting, you could always go to Hillary's Marina and eat fish and chips... it's ok for the first 300 visits. If you know anyone here you could always go to their house and have a barby.

Jo
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:29 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clougherty family
you could always go to Hillary's Marina and eat fish and chips... it's ok for the first 300 visits.
Jo
You could if you can park the pesky car!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.