Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mundane parking question

Mundane parking question

Old Mar 11th 2004, 11:50 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Mundane parking question

Just wondered if you can park on the opposite side of the road in other states?

Here in SA you are only allowed to park with the direction of traffic, i.e. on the left.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:19 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mundane parking question

Originally posted by PeteY

Here in SA you are only allowed to park with the direction of traffic, i.e. on the left.
Same in NSW. I tried to park "UK style" in a road here, and had a very nice copper walk up to me and say "You're from the UK, aren't you?" When I asked how he knew that, he pointed out that I had just parked facing against the traffic. He asked me politely to turn around and I was only too glad to. He had his "booking" book in his hand, too.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My first ever parking ticket was in Bexhill, Sussex. The offence? parking facing oncoming traffic. I couldn't believe it.

Either the law has changed in the UK or it's not enforced.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:23 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Parking WITH the flow of traffic is mundatory throughout australia They actually book you for 'parking too far away from the kerb (the opposite one)

I am finding it difficult to get into the habit of driving in the middle of the road when it looks as if it is two lanes but the inside lane is for the people to get out of their parking spaces and does not impede the flow of traffic.:lecture: :lecture:
Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:29 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
My first ever parking ticket was in Bexhill, Sussex. The offence? parking facing oncoming traffic. I couldn't believe it.

Either the law has changed in the UK or it's not enforced.
Its illegal to park the wrong way at night in the UK, because there are reflectors on the back of the car, but not the front.

Jane
Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Its illegal to park the wrong way at night in the UK, because there are reflectors on the back of the car, but not the front.

Jane

Our neighbour in Melbourne rolled his car out of his drive onto the road to do some maintenance - along come the cops who stop and give him a ticket. His crime was to face the car the wrong way.......... That's victoria's finest for you.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 4:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

same in nz
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

what a good idea, if they had it here you would have those tosspot taxi drivers doing u-turns right in front of you when you're driving through town
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by andy thomas
what a good idea, if they had it here you would have those tosspot taxi drivers doing u-turns right in front of you when you're driving through town

whoops......."wouldn't"
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When I see a taxi driver I know to give way as the Taxi Driver does not give a flying **^S about the bodywork of his car.

The other one to give way to is buses because there is a big sign on the back saying give way. The bus drivers just pull out not caring if there is someone about to slam into them.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
When I see a taxi driver I know to give way as the Taxi Driver does not give a flying **^S about the bodywork of his car.

The other one to give way to is buses because there is a big sign on the back saying give way. The bus drivers just pull out not caring if there is someone about to slam into them.
dont them bus drivers follow the rule of.........pull out.........then signal..............oh and if you remember then look in your mirror to check what damage has occurred.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:30 am
ABCDiamond

dont them bus drivers follow the rule of.........pull out.........then signal..............oh and if you remember then look in your mirror to check what damage has occurred.
They don't need to follow any rules out here.

The sign at the back of the bus says they have right of way !!

So if you hit them, tough, they had right of way !!!