Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

multicutural Australia

multicutural Australia

Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: multicutural Australia

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
My own experience is that in the UK it was possible to get 'ethnic' produce. I used to go to the Melton Road in Leicester. But it seemed (and this might be pure false memory syndrome) more segregated and more 'dangerous'.

The dangerous bit must have been a result of the media and my own family and friends. I've been to India and I also know quite a few people from South Asia and I haven't met a violent person yet so God knows why I was apprehensive about going to an Indian Sweet Shop in Leicester.

After living in SE Asia I got big withdrawal pangs back in England. I felt that I lived in a very anglicised, white area, where the most ethnically daring thing was having curry sauce on your chips. I really wanted to go back to Asia.

Perth doesn't give me the same remote feeling (ironic given its situation). I see Chinese, SE Asian, Somalian, German, American people most days, I hear 'foreign' languages spoken most days and I can visit pretty authentic restaurants and supermarkets easily. All of this is possible in London, but beyond....I don't know. England to me is very much an ethnically segregated nation. Perth is multicultural.

I don't quite understand what Perth does to keep the inter-cultural respect going but it seems to do it well. If you want to experience such a mix, this is the place.
If England is a more segregated nation,and i can agree in certain places it can appear so then surely this is due to a far higher concentrations of a particular ethnic minority,for example people of Pakistani origin living in parts of the Midlands or Yorkshire are in such numbers that large parts of that culture and has been transplanted in such cities and towns,be it in the form of mosques,food shops or clothing shops etc.
Perth has small numbers from varied ethnic groups but none numerous enough at this stage to really form enclaves as such, although some locals do comment on the some what large numbers of British immigrants that have colonized parts of the northern suburbs.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t.crystal
One thing I can think of is, people in Australia come from many different countries and different cultural background eg. Malaysia, China, France, etc.
Perhaps food in Australia is multicultural as well. Do you agree?
Does this help to clarify the question?

Can you think of any other things, such as food, places, sports, education...?
Feel it is an evolving process that in time could mean a more active participation for all living in this country.
This could come in the form of the need to embrace Asia far more in the need to learn languages,understand more and exchange in the form of culture.
Australia during this century may well become the worlds first EurAsian nation to the point of what we talk of being multi cultural now will appear provincial to future generations.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by t.crystal
What makes you think of multiculturalism in Australia?
(food, people, music, fashion...???)
People their diversity in dress language style and behaviour
colour and otherness.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
If England is a more segregated nation,and i can agree in certain places it can appear so then surely this is due to a far higher concentrations of a particular ethnic minority,for example people of Pakistani origin living in parts of the Midlands or Yorkshire are in such numbers that large parts of that culture and has been transplanted in such cities and towns,be it in the form of mosques,food shops or clothing shops etc.
Perth has small numbers from varied ethnic groups but none numerous enough at this stage to really form enclaves as such, although some locals do comment on the some what large numbers of British immigrants that have colonized parts of the northern suburbs.
Possibly but I'm not sure that the assumption that the UK and Australia are at different points on the same continuum is accurate. They could be on completely different tracks.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Possibly but I'm not sure that the assumption that the UK and Australia are at different points on the same continuum is accurate. They could be on completely different tracks.
I have the feeling that it is very possible, indeed highly likely that Australia is on a different track to UK,and expressed this
a few posts ago(17)