Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MRS JFW's Australian Adventure!

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Hi Woogle, yes i have researched endlessly!

Just for you Mandy.......

Day 20

A nice chill out day today relaxing around the pool. I was hoping to lose a bit of weight as I seemed to have piled on the pounds for some reason this year. I blame the family packs of doritos!

I had a nice relaxing time in the afternoon as Jon took his mum and the kids shopping (yes she was still hoping to find the Daily Mail ) and then i started to get ready to go out as Jon and I were having another night out on our own in Brisbane! yee ha!

Again we hopped on the bus to the south bank and had a few drinks in the various bars. It wasn't long before I began to feel a bit pissed as I hadn't had anything to eat. As the evening was a bit chilly I went to the market and bought myself a nice silk wrap to keep me warm. We then headed over to Riverside via the city cat ferry and came across a pub that looked quite lively so we went in for yet another drink. After sitting in the pub for about 10 minutes we noticed about a million St George Flags everywhere and realised we were sitting in an 'british' pub - The Pig and Whistle. I thought I'd seen those flags before but I couldn't remember where

By now I was starving so off we went to find somewhere to eat. We were spoilt for choice along Riverside all the restaurants looked lovely but we decided to give Michaels a go. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table but it was worth waiting for as the view we had was spectacular. We could see all along the river and had a wonderful view of the Storey Bridge all lit up.

The food was to die for....Jon and I both had duck parfait to start. I had lamb medallions and jon had quail for the main course and we both had the creme brulee for dessert. By this time I had so much to eat and had drank so much wine I was beginning to feel a bit sick. I don't usually eat 3 courses when I go out, but the food was so good I got a bit greedy! The service at the restaurant was excellent and again I would highly recommend it! The meal including wine came to $180 which I thought was a bargain.

We left the restaurant and hopped on the city cat back to the south bank to get the bus home. I was hoping that I would not be sick on the way home and luckily I wasn't!

Fantastic Jackie, i too noticed the food was so yummy and im still trying to lose the extra weight i put on.
Mandy
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:32 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Day 23 - our last week in Oz

All up bright and early we headed off up to the sunshine coast to the apartment we had booked in Alexandra Headland (The Alexandria Appartments). We had a lovely 3 bedroomed appartment facing the beach, it was gorgeous. I actually think this appartment was bigger than our house here in Manchester. Jons mum was very impressed (finally we got something right!). After dropping off our stuff, we headed back up to the Blackall Range to show Jons mum the sights. We took a different route this time and went through Palmerstone. We got to look at Lake Baroon again, but this time from the opposite side. Again lots of pic nic spots and a little park for the kids to play in. From here we went up to Montville again and had a coffee at a place called the Edge which we had missed the first time we visited but had the most amazing views. After more shopping we drove on again through Flaxton and Mapleton and down into Nambour.

From Nambour we decided to drive straight back to the appartments and get ready to go out for something to eat. The appartment was only a short walk into Mooloolobah so thats where we went. Had another lovely meal in a restaurant (sorry can't remember its name) and then headed back as the kids were getting tired. I didn't sleep very well that first night as I kept hearing strange noises.....I got Jon to get up in the middle of the night to check it out, but we couldn't work out what it was. In the morning we realised it was the fridge! lol
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:46 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Day 24

Woke up to the gorgeous views of the South Pacific Ocean. All the surfers were out and everyman woman and dog was either jogging or power walking along the sea front. Jons mum liked it so much here she suggested we stay an extra night, so we went to reception to extend our stay and booked some tickets to go to underwater world!

Although only up the road...jon insisted on driving! I think he quite liked that little automatic car.

When we got to UWW there were lots of school children on visits. This upset Jons mum as she thinks that we (the paying public) shouldn't have hoards of school children visiting at the same time as us!

I found UWW ok, but not as good as sea world and not as good as the Blue Planet Aquarium in Warrington! but thats just my opinion. Even so we took some great photos of fish and sharks and other underwater things. Had some lunch...fish and chips lol and then went to the Tavern on the Wharf for a few drinks and to just relax in the sun. The water front homes were amazing....if only I could win the lottery!

We went back to the apartment early afternoon for the kids to go in the pool. We got talking to a couple who had just emigrated over from Chesterfield (Lesley and Shane if anyone knows them....please say Hi from us). They had been staying with their friends in Redcliffe and were looking to settle there.

In the evening we headed back to Mooloolobah for something to eat and as we loved the food at Coast so much before - we went back there again mmm.

Last edited by Mrs JFW; Dec 1st 2006 at 9:47 am. Reason: lost count of the days!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I'm so enjoying this Jackie ...I have written down all the places you have been and enjoyed so we can visit them in March. I will still try Maleny then...and let you know if I felt strange in any way. I saw the Glasshouse Mountains on the drive to Noosa and I think they are incredible, so I am looking forward to exploring them ...look forward to your next installment...Bindi
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Day 23 - our last week in Oz

All up bright and early we headed off up to the sunshine coast to the apartment we had booked in Alexandra Headland (The Alexandria Appartments). We had a lovely 3 bedroomed appartment facing the beach, it was gorgeous. I actually think this appartment was bigger than our house here in Manchester. Jons mum was very impressed (finally we got something right!). After dropping off our stuff, we headed back up to the Blackall Range to show Jons mum the sights. We took a different route this time and went through Palmerstone. We got to look at Lake Baroon again, but this time from the opposite side. Again lots of pic nic spots and a little park for the kids to play in. From here we went up to Montville again and had a coffee at a place called the Edge which we had missed the first time we visited but had the most amazing views. After more shopping we drove on again through Flaxton and Mapleton and down into Nambour.

From Nambour we decided to drive straight back to the appartments and get ready to go out for something to eat. The appartment was only a short walk into Mooloolobah so thats where we went. Had another lovely meal in a restaurant (sorry can't remember its name) and then headed back as the kids were getting tired. I didn't sleep very well that first night as I kept hearing strange noises.....I got Jon to get up in the middle of the night to check it out, but we couldn't work out what it was. In the morning we realised it was the fridge! lol
Fantastic - keep it coming. Will be disappointed when you get to your final day. We are going for a reccie to Brisbane in February and are now considering the Holiday Village.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:51 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mrs JFW what an awesome read, this is the best thread I have ever read, so imformative and its nice to hear that you and the family had a great time. Thanks for making my night on the ward more interesting.

Justin
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:02 am
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by eljustino
Hi Mrs JFW what an awesome read, this is the best thread I have ever read, so imformative and its nice to hear that you and the family had a great time. Thanks for making my night on the ward more interesting.

Justin
Thanks for that Justin. I aim to please!
How are your plans coming along?

jackie
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:17 am
Living the Dream!

Day 25

Another glorious day ahead so off we headed to the beach. The beach at Alexandra Headland is a patrolled beach so it is safe for swimming if you are not familiar with the waters. The waves were absolutely huge...it was really amazing. We went in to jump over the waves, I could not believe how warm the water was. I could hardly believe that there I was jumping over the waves in the South Pacific Ocean. As it was our last week I was starting to think about going home.....and I really didn't want to so I just savoured every moment of my time in Oz. I could have stayed in the sea all day, but staying in the sun that long would not be a very good idea!

At lunchtime we headed off to the surf club for a bite to eat. I was thinking about our time so far in Oz and how hard it is to pinpoint one particular area where we would like to settle. We had seen so many beautiful places and although we were really taken with the Blackall Range, I was also taken with the beach and the city! aggghhhh! too much choice!

The afternoon saw us back at the apartment in the pool. Jon was trying to be clever by letting jasmine jump off his shoulders into the pool. Somehow she ended up sitting on his head and as he stood up in the water, did his back in! not good as he has a back problem anyway! Anyway his mum soon dosed him up with painkillers...unlike me, a nurse without a paracetamol to my name! lol

That evening we decided to drive up to Noosa Heads. It really wasn't how I would imagine it, but maybe that is because we got there in the dark and couldn't really see where we were driving through. We parked up and walked down the main street (Hastings street I think it was called). We were looking for a nice restaraunt to eat in, but most of the places there were gourmet restaurants and a bit too fussy for what we wanted. We had a walk about looking at the shops (even though they were closed). Although people rave about Noosa, I have to say it didn't do much for me. Perhaps I would have a different opinion if I went there in the daylight hours.

We drove around aimlessly looking for somewhere to eat and Jons mum and the kids were getting twitched. We decided to stop at the Irish pub by the roundabout. The food was average but we had to stop somewhere before the kids starting eating each other! I was quite disappointed with our evening as I was looking forward to have a really nice meal somewhere. Perhaps if we had gone into Noosaville we may have found something nicer there.???
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:28 am
Living the Dream!

Day 26

Back to Brissy today to the Gateway Village. Surprise, surprise once we are back we all head for the pool. We just spent the afternoon lazing around and got a take out in the evening watching good ol Jamie Oliver on TV.

Day 27

Spent the day around the pool ...again! (well you have to make the most of these things and at least it was keeping the kids happy and me fit! lol ).

We decided that this afternoon would be our last chance to head back up to Mount Coo Ta and watch the sunset over Brissy, so thats what we did.

It wasn't the best sunset I had seen there, but was still a lovely evening. We dedided to give the aboriginal trail walk a miss again lol. As the sun went down and Brisbane lit up it was a magical sight.

Hungry again we decided to see if we could get a table in the Kuta Restaurant which has the excellent views of the city. Lucky for us they had one free. We had a gorgeous meal and I thought we were really lucky to get the table as it was so busy. Even so the service was excellent and the meal gorgeous. I had Wild Atlantic Salmon, mmmmmm. This restaurant is definately worth a visit if you go up in the evening. If you eat early at 5pm you can have a 3 course meal for $29. I think it might be advisable to book your table though, I think we just happened to be lucky!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:41 am
Living the Dream!

Day 28

Our last full day in Brisbane. I could hardly believe where the time had gone...4 weeks gone by in a flash. I was not ready to go home, I still had loads of things I wanted to see and do.

Jon woke up a bit of a hangover as he had managed to drink a litre and half of wine to himself the previous night ....oh dear

We went off to the pool for the last few hours as we had to get ready to take the hire car back.

We dropped Jons mum and the kids off at the South Bank and me and Jon took the car back. East Coast Rentals is only a short walk to Eagle Street Pier and Riverside so Jon and I took the city cat back to the South Bank.

It was a glorious afternoon and I couldn't believe that the next day we would be flying back to manchester! It was the last day of the Ashes in Brissy and there was a really good atmosphere around the place (even if we did lose that test). Everyone, seemed to be having a really good time. They had set up a big screen at the lagoon so people could watch the cricket while swimming or sunbathing. We met up with Jons mum and the kids for a little while and did a bit of shopping. In the evening Jon and I went off on our own again and had a meal along one of the riverside restaurants at the south bank. We decided that asian food was the order of the day so we ate at Wang Dynasty. The food and the service once again was excellent. The only thing that spoilt it a bit was that when it got dark we were sat outside and couldn't really see what we were eating. They need some little tea lights or something on the tables out side.

As we didn't want to come home Jon and I bought a lottery ticket...just in case!

Headed back to the Gateway as we have an early flight the next day and the taxi is picking us up at 6am.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:46 am
Living the Dream!

Day 29 - Back to Manchester

So there you have it. Our journey back was equally as good as our outbound journey but I was not as excited for obvious reasons. No swimming in the pool at changi this time as it was raining.

When we landed at Manchester I went straight to the shop at the airport to buy some milk so we could have a cup of coffee when we got home....oh and I bought Jons mum a Daily Mail!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I had a fantastic time...we all did!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:57 am
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

So there you have it. Our journey back was equally as good as our outbound journey but I was not as excited for obvious reasons. No swimming in the pool at changi this time as it was raining.

When we landed at Manchester I went straight to the shop at the airport to buy some milk so we could have a cup of coffee when we got home....oh and I bought Jons mum a Daily Mail!

Ahh Jackie - what a fantastic read - thank you so much for sharing all this with us!!!!

G xx
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Top read, best one ever.

Mick
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 9:39 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant Jackie....pity we are not going to Brissy as your post was so informative about all the places to visit...but you never know one day we could take a visit.

So now your home and back to normality ...what does it feel like?
When will you be heading back for good ?
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 9:50 am
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by Issie
Brilliant Jackie....pity we are not going to Brissy as your post was so informative about all the places to visit...but you never know one day we could take a visit.

So now your home and back to normality ...what does it feel like?
When will you be heading back for good ?
Hi Issie,

glad you enjoyed the read. Well we have been home almost a week now and it seems as though I have never been away!

We are going to get xmas out of the way and then start to paint the house ready to put it up for sale. Hope to have it on the market by March. If all goes well we aim to be out by next August before Jasmine starts secondary school. We will be heading to the sunshine coast for starters and go from there!

How are your plans coming along?

jackie x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.