Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MP3 Players??? Advice Please

MP3 Players??? Advice Please

Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default MP3 Players??? Advice Please

Hi

Anyone know of a site that sells MP3 players, at a reasonable cost

Are 'Creative' MP3 players any good??

Thanks for helping

Bill
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MP3 Players??? Advice Please

got to be an ipod the sound and quality on them is fantastic.

you could try e-bay ???
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi

Thanks for helping

Bill
Hey Bill, I assume you are still in the UK...

Try:
http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/...able_mp3s.html
Or
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-MP3_an..._Media_Players

Both are price comparison web sites and should show the best/cheapest on the market, but you have to decide what you want first!

As for Creative, I believe they are a quality make, but at the end of the day it's down to personal choice.

Have a look at http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/index.asp for reviews of electronic stuff. It's an American site, but full of useful reviews and recommendations. Just search any specific model of MP3 player to see if it's listed...

Have fun!

Gav
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:11 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks for helping

Bill
Yes Creative Nomad 3 is what I have, it doesn't look swish but the sound quality is great. My mate has an ipod and he can't read wma files, then again the Creative can't read aac. Depends what you want, the Creative will be cheaper, but IMHO both are as good on sound quality.

Paul
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Yes Creative Nomad 3 is what I have, it doesn't look swish but the sound quality is great. My mate has an ipod and he can't read wma files, then again the Creative can't read aac. Depends what you want, the Creative will be cheaper, but IMHO both are as good on sound quality.

Paul

Thanks Paul

It was a Creative ZEN - TOUCH that we are looking at.

can you use and is the sound quality ok with external speakers

I'm a bit of a technofobe, so your advice is very welcome :scared:

Bill
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:24 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

A mate of mine got one from some guy in hong kong via ebay think it was a small one like 235ish mb but only cost about £10 plus £4 p&p&ins.
Well worth a look The guy has hundreds of them for sale!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gavstrad
Hey Bill, I assume you are still in the UK...

Try:
http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/...able_mp3s.html
Or
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-MP3_an..._Media_Players

Both are price comparison web sites and should show the best/cheapest on the market, but you have to decide what you want first!

As for Creative, I believe they are a quality make, but at the end of the day it's down to personal choice.

Have a look at http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/index.asp for reviews of electronic stuff. It's an American site, but full of useful reviews and recommendations. Just search any specific model of MP3 player to see if it's listed...

Have fun!

Gav

Cheers Gav

The sites were helpfull, just wish i had more of a scooby what i was on about!!

Bill
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:27 pm

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Thanks Paul

It was a Creative ZEN - TOUCH that we are looking at.

can you use and is the sound quality ok with external speakers

I'm a bit of a technofobe, so your advice is very welcome :scared:

Bill
I think that the ZEN Touch is just a smaller version of the Nomad. It sounds fabulous plugged into my stereo, packed the CDs away ready for shippers, it's hard to see the difference really.

Will be just taking my NOMAD and some amplified speakers, that will be my music in Perth until the Hifi arrives by ship.

Wholly recommended, best piece of kit I've bought in a while.

Paul
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gajjitt
I think that the ZEN Touch is just a smaller version of the Nomad. It sounds fabulous plugged into my stereo, packed the CDs away ready for shippers, it's hard to see the difference really.

Will be just taking my NOMAD and some amplified speakers, that will be my music in Perth until the Hifi arrives by ship.

Wholly recommended, best piece of kit I've bought in a while.

Paul
Sorry for being THICK Paul, but is it easy to transfer your cd collection onto these things?

We are going to move in with my mate when we get over to Brissy, so it would be nice to have some sounds when we are having a bit private time in our room, and not piss of them!!

And it would be good to get the cd's away for the shipper also.

Bill
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:38 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill

I got a Phillips audio jukebox for my birthday, it holds 10,000 tracks and it's dead easy to put CDs onto it, you download the CD to your PC and then from the PC to the machine.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:07 pm

Sorry for being THICK Paul, but is it easy to transfer your cd collection onto these things?

We are going to move in with my mate when we get over to Brissy, so it would be nice to have some sounds when we are having a bit private time in our room, and not piss of them!!

And it would be good to get the cd's away for the shipper also.

Bill
Yeah it's really easy Bill. You install the CD which come with the player called Creative Playcentre. In there you can rip CD's, it goes online to get the track details, which makes indexing them on your player straight forward.

There are different compression rates, the lower it is the more you'll get on your player, but the worse it'll sound. I do all mine as MP3s at 128kbs, this seems to sound good to me.

Good luck

Paul
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Thanks for helping

Bill
Hiya,

I got mine from these guys, the service was good and the delivery was really quick (around Xmas time too):
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/

I bought an iRiver, which is a bit more of an "up-market" (I guess ... maybe I'm just a label snob ) but I'm pretty happy with it.

The Creative stuff isn't bad, I liked the look and sound of the Zen jukeboxes and the smaller MuVo range was really good value a year or so ago.

I think it's a "try and see" thing though, If you can afford a little extra (20 quid or so) I'd recommend getting a nice pair of 'phones (or in-ear buds) to make the most of the bass. If you run most MP3 players with high bass then it tends to eat into battery life ... in my experience, anyway.

Also, set the light on the display to turn off regularly or that will eat into battery life too.

AND don't believe the "12 hours of use from one AA battery" nonsense, it's lies. I use rechargeables and it's been well worth the outlay.

If you are going to go with a "cheap" make then please make sure you can listen before you buy, some players are so tinny they are practically useless ... believe me, I've got a NEO Jukebox (ancient technology now) and it's handy only as a paperweight.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:47 am
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My brother in law has not long bought his second Creative Zen. It's the 60gb and he is really pleased with it. It's just as good as an Ipod but doesn't have the photo facility and is probably half the price. Saying that, I have the 60g Photo Ipod and it is excellent. You can get 10,000 songs on it and 15,000 photographs. You can also buy an Itrip transmitter to go with the Ipod which is great in the car but apparently illegal as it is considered piracy!!

Regards

TOB

Hi

Thanks for helping

Bill
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: MP3 Players??? Advice Please

Hi

Thanks for helping

Bill
I got an Iriver. I think its about as good as u can get at the mo. Easy to drag and drop files into it from your PC. 40gb gives you plenty of room for music and fotos + u can use it as an external hard drive for other files like word docs and xls if you need. Also if you load on a newer Os you can apparently run avi films !!

Cheers
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:43 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chaval
I got an Iriver. I think its about as good as u can get at the mo. Easy to drag and drop files into it from your PC. 40gb gives you plenty of room for music and fotos + u can use it as an external hard drive for other files like word docs and xls if you need. Also if you load on a newer Os you can apparently run avi films !!

Cheers

Yep I've got the Iriver H340 (40Gb) and it is fantastic and so easy to load things onto with a PC. First 'rip' copy the CD onto the PC using Windows Media Player and then copy to the directory on the mp3 player which is connected via the usb lead. I did a CD every few mins so you'll be busy if your collection is big!!!

I got my Iriver from www.mx2.co.uk for £270. But the stock earphones are basic so I've upgraded to a pair of Shure E2Cs that are in-ear and cut out noise.

I have the whole of my 200 cd collection and will be putting on a shedload of family pics to take with me to Oz (to view on it's colour screen). Plus a basic version of my CV and address lists etc will be saved as docs to take too.

I've just bought a 3.5mm to Phono lead for plugging into a decent hifi that I buy or borrow once I'm out in Sydney.

No need to lug my CDs or photo albums with me

Last edited by Comer; Apr 6th 2005 at 11:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.