Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mozzies and how to sit outside and live???

Mozzies and how to sit outside and live???

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:07 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mozzies and how to sit outside and live???

So now we have solved the ant problem in seperate thread onto the next question...

My hubby is now covered in mosquito bites as QLD has this silly rule of can't water garden till 7pm and before 7am and when are the good old mozzies most active, you guessed it, plus we would like to be able to sit outside sometimes (if they made it 6pm till 8am maybe could water grass and have skin as well)... :scared: :scared: :scared: .

So after we have surrounded our patio with talc to stop the ants... do we get the citronella torches out as rumour has it ultra violet insecta flashes/zappers are hopeless???

Any more ideas folks??? .
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:13 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mozzies and how to sit outside and live???

Originally Posted by annqldau
So now we have solved the ant problem in seperate thread onto the next question...

My hubby is now covered in mosquito bites as QLD has this silly rule of can't water garden till 7pm and before 7am and when are the good old mozzies most active, you guessed it, plus we would like to be able to sit outside sometimes (if they made it 6pm till 8am maybe could water grass and have skin as well)... :scared: :scared: :scared: .

So after we have surrounded our patio with talc to stop the ants... do we get the citronella torches out as rumour has it ultra violet insecta flashes/zappers are hopeless???

aerogard tis in a blue spray can
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:15 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone recommended an Avon product to ward off mozzies a while back but I never wrote it down. Can anyone remember what it was.

Thanks

Suzy x
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:20 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suzy
Someone recommended an Avon product to ward off mozzies a while back but I never wrote it down. Can anyone remember what it was.

Thanks

Suzy x
I've never been sure if the Avon thing was an urban myth! Eat plenty of vegemite for the B vitamins, take B vit supplement, I can't remember which B is the most important B6 or B12, but I'm sure someone else will tell you.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:27 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Suzy x
Their bleedin perfume. It keeps fellas away too
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:33 am

Smile Re: Mozzies and how to sit outside and live???

Unless you spray the spray on yourself surely it will be short acting, unless as you say it is av*n allegedly perfume then one spray may act all night and also keep away birds, kangaroos and koalas.

Wanted something more long lasting so could have a meal or red wine or five outside whilst listening to the crickets (let crickets live they are no bother, probably a low frequency guiding system for the mozzies).

Was all set to buy an insecta flash but then everything said don't work...so was going to plan B the citronella candles or oil but wanted expert opinion and any other cunning plans.

Have took note of the aerosol suggestions, what if you add a flame just in front of the spray...???
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Suzy x
Avon 'Skin so soft' Original woodland fragrance.

Contains citronella and is very effective.

It is commonly used by anglers in Alaska to protect them from the 'No See'ums'.

Makes you smell like a 'ten buck whore' though

G
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by webgum
I've never been sure if the Avon thing was an urban myth! Eat plenty of vegemite for the B vitamins, take B vit supplement, I can't remember which B is the most important B6 or B12, but I'm sure someone else will tell you.

Good job I lurve vegemite
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Their bleedin perfume. It keeps fellas away too

Right I'm not using it then. that would never do.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:38 am
Account Closed

Right I'm not using it then. that would never do.
You'll be OK with Alaskan fishermen though

Or Grayling

PS.Grayling...RU in Aus on holiday yet?
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:42 am

Talking Re: Mozzies and how to sit outside and live???

Luckily the Avon lady is alive and well in Aus as we had a catalogue through the door so will keep an eye out for the 'ten buck whore' fragrance... however I am a little worried about who my Husband may attract while wearing it as have seen some of the Aussie men... :scared: .

Keep em coming will try all options (that's the ideas not the 'ten buck whore' followers).
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz

PS.Grayling...RU in Aus on holiday yet?
Going this afternoon.

G
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Luckily the Avon lady is alive and well in Aus as we had a catalogue through the door so will keep an eye out for the 'ten buck whore' fragrance... however I am a little worried about who my Husband may attract while wearing it as have seen some of the Aussie men... :scared: .

Keep em coming will try all options (that's the ideas not the 'ten buck whore' followers).
We have been here over a year and have tried all sorts from the expensive to the cheap and nasty and nothing works 100%. Aussie mozzies love Pommie blood

We spray ourselves using the various sprays and use the mozzie coils under the table and this does reduce the bites, but doesn't stop them. An Aussie mate told me to use Isocol [Isopropyl alcohol] on the bite and this stops the itching and swelling [comes in a green plastic bottle and can be bought at the supermarket for about $7]

Anyways, spotty legs are in vogue. Shows you are an Expat
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=annqldau]Luckily the Avon lady is alive and well in Aus as we had a catalogue through the door so will keep an eye out for the 'ten buck whore' fragrance... however I am a little worried about who my Husband may attract while wearing it as have seen some of the Aussie men... :scared: .
QUOTE]

Deception Bay is not called Deception Bay for nothing

WW
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:53 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I posted this a while ago, but will RETYPE it forya

Only female Mozzies BITE !!

A firm in China invented a watch, that you wear and emits an inaudible ( to us ) signal, mimicking a female Mozzie. Reason being a female mozzie wont go near another female mozzie.

It also has settings for sand flies and someat else

My mate imports them to Australia,

Firm is called Starwhist based at Bega Rd, Kingston Brisbane. Goto www.starwhist.com and email them.

I think he still has some left, weve used the thing, and it does work. Albeit i get bitten now, and it dont bother me soo much ( not wearin the watch ya see ) !!

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.