Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving within Australia

Moving within Australia

Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Moving within Australia

My OH asked me if we think Melbourne is the place to stay in Australia, he has the opportunity to work in Perth, Brisbane or stay here.
I was wondering if anyone came and then made an inter state move? And was it the best thing to do?
I really like Melbourne so staying here isn't a problem.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:15 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving within Australia

We moved from Sydney to Melbourne for job reasons. I really liked Sydney so it took a while for me to settle in but now I enjoy Melbourne just as much.

However the job may be taking us back to Sydney now that I'm happy and settled in Melbourne
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

It's the old what's the other side of the fence feeling, but we moved this far, who is to say here is our destiny??? Have to say am hating the cold!!!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
It's the old what's the other side of the fence feeling, but we moved this far, who is to say here is our destiny??? Have to say am hating the cold!!!
Then you won't want to come to Perth. It gets very hot here in summer and (IMO) very cold in winter. More than one morning this past couple of weeks I have had frost on my car. 2 or 3 degrees feels pretty flipping cold when there's no insulation in the houses and single pane windows.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:04 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

If the job will pay relocation costs why don't you give Brisbane a go and see what it's like? You could always move back if he hates it
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

It would be our choice so not sure if they would pay relocation after paying it last year!
It's not that cold here, just the poor heating, insulation, single pane windows. I don't understand why they don't have double glazing here, it would help keep cool in summer too... Don't get me started on ducted heating!!!

We are at the where to go for secondary school and where would we buy a house stage that prompted the conversation...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:14 pm

It would be our choice so not sure if they would pay relocation after paying it last year!
It's not that cold here, just the poor heating, insulation, single pane windows. I don't understand why they don't have double glazing here, it would help keep cool in summer too... Don't get me started on ducted heating!!!

We are at the where to go for secondary school and where would we buy a house stage that prompted the conversation...
Ah I see I second you on the total lack of insulation we have reverse air con but the ceilings are high so the heat stays up there.

I know if we were buying here I would insist on a wood fire as well as air con or a wood burner something to keep me warm!
Double glazing here is very expensive so hasn't taken off yet.
If you are happy here why not try a holiday in Brisbane and see what you think. I find it takes me about 2 years to really settle into a place.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

There is one thing to consider in Brisbane, the cold !!

It actually gets cold INSIDE the houses during winter. Many, many times I have had to go outside to warm up.

It is true, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 4:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
There is one thing to consider in Brisbane, the cold !!

It actually gets cold INSIDE the houses during winter. Many, many times I have had to go outside to warm up.

It is true, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.
Yeah its mad but true. I often sit up overnight with the back door open as it keeps the house warmer that way
Old Jul 13th 2013, 4:24 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH asked me if we think Melbourne is the place to stay in Australia, he has the opportunity to work in Perth, Brisbane or stay here.
I was wondering if anyone came and then made an inter state move? And was it the best thing to do?
I really like Melbourne so staying here isn't a problem.
I've moved a few times now within aus and most city's are much of a muchness in terms of facilities, however they all have a different feel about them. If your seriously considering moving I would visit first to get a feel for the area. Weather wise I don't find there's that much difference between Perth and brissy, Perth has dry summers and drizzly wet winters ( much like uk summer) whereas brissy has humid wet summers and dry winters.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Lanabanana is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved from Sydney to Brissy 2 years ago

And we did it all ourselves. Hired a truck and drove forever to get here.

Must say, i prefer brisbane to sydney. The weather is fantastic and the storms up here are awesome!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, we're contemplating a move to Sydney - although it's all very muchh up in the air right now as we are waiting for a firm offer from the big bank the OH is contracting at.
Can't help on the city choice front Mummy3 as I have never been to Brisbane or Perth.

For us though, it's more a question of financial and career opportunity as the bank asked the OH what he would need to relocate - they must like him - and so we'll be making some demands. As you know, we're pretty settled in Melbourne and love it so wouldn't move unless it got us ahead financially. Our kids are younger as well so no high school decision to be made just yet. Also, we have really good friends in Sydney so would be relocating near them. I guess all that doesn't help you much

As others have said, I would go to both Perth and Brisbane for a few days if possible to get a feel for the places. Which one does your OH favour? He's worked in both hasn't he?

On an aside, how's E? Better send you an email
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:21 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

wow... its abcdiamond...
took a few snaps of a suburb in Brisbane for me in 2004 when I was looking at moving there... what a gent...didnt have to do it, as he didnt know me from adam.

I forget what forum it was from, but good to hear your still knocking about and doing well.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:57 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked (and lived) in both Perth and Brisbane and of the two I much prefer Brisbane - although my time in Perth has always been batchelor living in CBD apartments, and Perth CBD is a dead place out of working hours, so probably not a good comparison. Brisbane climate is, for me, more livable than Perth, although the humidity in Jan-Feb can be hard on people not used to the tropics.
I love Melbourne and Sydney as places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live in either of them on a long-term basis.