Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toowoomba- any advice please?

Moving to Toowoomba- any advice please?

Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

semicharmed13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toowoomba- any advice please?

Hey guys,
I am kinda new here, I originally frequented to USA Expat page however it looks like I might be moving to Toowoomba (from the US...and before that I was in the UK...nevermind ).
A bit about me, I was a Dentist in the UK, moved to the US because my OH got himself a job in the US (this however involved me re-doing my dental degree to calibrate with the American system) I got into Dental school, got told it would be upto 300K$ for tuition, I said heck no! and decided that I am going to follow my dream and work in Oz for a bit. Well it happens that I have been offered a job in Toowoomba (pending AHRPA registration etc) and will be coming on a WHV which they haveoffering to convertapply for to a 457 once I get there, as it is quicker for me to start work with a WHV rather than waiting for a 457 to be processed.
I will be moving by myself my husband is sticking around in the US for a bit longer (~9 months)...Aaaaanyway I wanted to know:
1. What do I need to do first when I get there? Since Im moving alone it is all a bit daunting. I aim to look for house share/flat share before I leave so that I will have something to look into when I get there.
2. What mobile phone network should I choose that gets best coverage in that area? Should I get one as soon as I land in Brisbane or am I wiser to get it from a phone shop in Toowoomba?
3. How do I go about getting a driving license? (I have a full UK DL...and a US one :/)
4. Would be smarter to buy a car in Brisbane? Would I need a car in Toowoomba or is public transport in Toowoomba sufficient?
5. Which areas should a single girl (well not single but you know what I mean?) avoid living in, walking about alone after work or a social evening?
6. I am sorry for asking stupid questions but I have done a general search for Toowoomba on BE and doesnt come up with alot.
7. Am I being absolutely stupid for making this move? Feel free to lie
8. Which came first...the chicken or the egg?

I would appreciate any input you people may have! And I will be truly grateful for any wise words of wisdom.
Also...just a disclaimer, some people may think 'Whoa Whoa Whoa, you moved to US and then moving to Australia...are you sure you are not chasing something that may not exist? Maybe you should find happiness within'
My answer to that would be....you are right...which leads me to question 9...
Any directions to an Ashram or a Monastery would also be great.

Cheers All!

P.s the last question is a joke, Ill settle for a self-help book or something...
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:52 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toowoomba- any advice please?

Polish your banjo!!!
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Here are my comments to your questions in same order, sorry I cannot answer some.

1) When I arrived in Sydney, the first thing I did was order my TFN (tax file number). Next day I sorted out bank account and Medicare. Although I didn't use Medicare for another 18 months so there really was no rush on that.

2) Dunno, I expect they are much of a muchness. I used my UK phone sparingly for a few days and then when I started work they handed me a phone. I think they are much of a muchness, not something I would be bothering about at this stage.

3). As a temporary resident you can stick to your UK licence.

4) I am going to take a wild stab that a car is a good idea. Usually is in Australia.

5) Pass.

6) Jenny1977 spent a couple of years in Toowoomba but she only pops her head in BE from time to time, you could try messaging her though. Nice Northern Irish girl.

7) I have a reputation for straight talking and am not going to lie. I think you are barking mad to make this move and especially as a young single woman. If you want to move to Australia as a dentist move to Sydney or Melbourne or even Brisbane..
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice I will take all of it into account. I was offered a position in Brisbane but I was told that the place is flooded with Dentists and its difficult to build up a patient base as there are plenty of dentists who have much more experience and skill set. Same goes for the big cities. But you have a point and I will def take it into consideration....

....This includes the banjo idea...

What are the work rights for a dependent of a 457 visa?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by semicharmed13
Thank you for the advice I will take all of it into account. I was offered a position in Brisbane but I was told that the place is flooded with Dentists and its difficult to build up a patient base as there are plenty of dentists who have much more experience and skill set. Same goes for the big cities. But you have a point and I will def take it into consideration....

They can do any job they can get, not always easy as the 457 being temporary puts some employers off.

Definitely get a banjo, throw yer shoes away and forget any ideas of dressing up to go out! Ahhhh lots of places worse than Toowoomba, but......you're on the edge of the bible belt of Queensland, and its getting towards being rural out there........
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Dependents can work as well - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx
Old Mar 27th 2014, 8:46 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,
I am kinda new here, I originally frequented to USA Expat page however it looks like I might be moving to Toowoomba (from the US...and before that I was in the UK...nevermind ).
A bit about me, I was a Dentist in the UK, moved to the US because my OH got himself a job in the US (this however involved me re-doing my dental degree to calibrate with the American system) I got into Dental school, got told it would be upto 300K$ for tuition, I said heck no! and decided that I am going to follow my dream and work in Oz for a bit. Well it happens that I have been offered a job in Toowoomba (pending AHRPA registration etc) and will be coming on a WHV which they haveoffering to convertapply for to a 457 once I get there, as it is quicker for me to start work with a WHV rather than waiting for a 457 to be processed.
I will be moving by myself my husband is sticking around in the US for a bit longer (~9 months)...Aaaaanyway I wanted to know:
1. What do I need to do first when I get there? Since Im moving alone it is all a bit daunting. I aim to look for house share/flat share before I leave so that I will have something to look into when I get there.
2. What mobile phone network should I choose that gets best coverage in that area? Should I get one as soon as I land in Brisbane or am I wiser to get it from a phone shop in Toowoomba?
3. How do I go about getting a driving license? (I have a full UK DL...and a US one :/)
4. Would be smarter to buy a car in Brisbane? Would I need a car in Toowoomba or is public transport in Toowoomba sufficient?
5. Which areas should a single girl (well not single but you know what I mean?) avoid living in, walking about alone after work or a social evening?
6. I am sorry for asking stupid questions but I have done a general search for Toowoomba on BE and doesnt come up with alot.
7. Am I being absolutely stupid for making this move? Feel free to lie
8. Which came first...the chicken or the egg?

I would appreciate any input you people may have! And I will be truly grateful for any wise words of wisdom.
Also...just a disclaimer, some people may think 'Whoa Whoa Whoa, you moved to US and then moving to Australia...are you sure you are not chasing something that may not exist? Maybe you should find happiness within'
My answer to that would be....you are right...which leads me to question 9...
Any directions to an Ashram or a Monastery would also be great.

Cheers All!

P.s the last question is a joke, Ill settle for a self-help book or something...
As a dentist in Queensland you'll probably need to buy a car in Brisbane or Sydney. Toowoomba simply doesn't have either a Ferrari or a Lamborghini dealership.
You're not making a mistake you'll be a millionaire after a few crowns.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
As a dentist in Queensland you'll probably need to buy a car in Brisbane or Sydney. Toowoomba simply doesn't have either a Ferrari or a Lamborghini dealership.
LOL! My husband can agree with that, I swear he's at the dentist's every month. (She's a Brit too by the way).

Toowoomba is a nice city/large town (well it wasn't yesterday, it poured all day and was freezing!!). But it has a great night life, good pubs, well known for it's garden city status, great for garden lovers, reasonable shopping (mixture of big stores and smaller boutiques), live music scene etc. Plenty of gyms, sports clubs, churches - you name it. If you like camping, walking, watersports, there's some beautiful forests and lakes within 30 mins drive.

Toowoomba is only a couple of hours from Brisbane (when roadworks aren't digging up the range) or you can fly Toowoomba to Sydney/Brisbane if you like. There's bus services to Brisbane/airport runners etc too. There are masses of garages so don't feel you have to buy a car straight away but I suspect you'd find it easier to get around town with one.

All that said WHV is a temp visa, it's a holiday visa so it will give you a chance to try before you buy if you like! You don't have to convert to 457 if you don't like Toowoomba, you could travel around all of Australia. If you're prepared to consider more rural areas, you'll find a job extremely easily.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

I would say it depends on whether you like city life or something a bit quieter. I agree with Jothefw that it is a nice town - I've always liked the feel of the place. Plus it has the advantage of not being stinking hot in summer!
I work with a couple of people who live there, who could probably answer any more specific questions you might have.
I would definitely get a car, but that goes for lots of places in and around Brisbane too, not just Toowoomba.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys for all the info! Definitely plenty to go on to start my life in Australia x
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing I can say is DON"T DO IT!!!!!!

Seriously, unless you come from a small country town background and like that kind of thing or are looking for that kind of thing then it's a very strong no from me.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:29 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

As regards the phone, you should go with Telstra. Optus, Vodaphone, etc are probably OK in Toowoomba itself but head a few kms west and Telstra is the only system that works reliably in the country areas.

Toowoomba is a nice, reasonably sized country town, but like all country towns it shuts down in the evenings and at weekends - don't expect the shops to be open all hours like they are in the cities and suburbs. It sits at the top of the range with a single main road winding up the hill from Brisbane/Ipswich: get a truck breaking down or rolling over and the road is blocked for hours.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've heard surgeons say, they are shocked at how much dentists charge....and thats fair dinkum. My orthodontist... the one that looked after the "Carlton crew" Roberta williams etc etc... Offered to take my son at age 9ish for a ride in his Ferrari or Range Rover or Audi 8 when he was coaxing him to do the right thing in the chair etc.

Toowoomba is now on my look at list, for retirement purposes, I doubt if I will end up there, however the slightly cooler and green aspect combined with lower house prices is a bit of a draw, lots of rellies up that way.

3 beds, 2 bathrooms, nice gardens, room for the motor home and rentable when I'm travelling are my pre requisites.... swimming pool would be good or swim spa... sub 400K thanks That goes for anywhere "green" in Aus actually, Although I will admit dry Yarrawonga is on the list but a swimming pool and lots of water tanks are a must there... I'll green the garden myself. Free transport in Yarrawonga, because of all the courtesy buses and possibly one of the easiest places in Aus to rent a house out on a short term lease... Amazingly good night life in Yarrawonga as well... Party time for the over 45's permanently..

I probably will end up in Tassie though.... It's going to be fun looking.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 1st 2014 at 4:51 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:53 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

FYI as a Temp Resident I am not sure if you need a Australian driving license, the rules in QLD are different to NSW. Check the QLD transport and roads portal.
I have been to Toowoomba once....and that was enough. Yes it may be a nice country town with bars etc, but, they all shut at 9pm (on a good night!!) during the week and at weekends you need your boxing gloves!
But....horses for courses, give it a go and see what YOU think of it!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

UK drivers licence is valid in QLD too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.