Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toowoomba

Moving to Toowoomba

Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

corinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving to Toowoomba

Hi this is my first time on this site. We have just sold the house and are moving to Toowoomba Qld (probably Highfields area) in early Dec. My Husband is Australian but has lived in the U.K for over 20 years. We are looking forward to being around family as we have 3 young children. Can anyone offer any advice around preschool in Aus. Our youngest is 3 and enjoys preschool here- is it the same there or will she only be able to go to private nursery until she starts prep (reception).? Thanks for anything really...CM
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Toowoomba

Originally Posted by corinamac
Hi this is my first time on this site. We have just sold the house and are moving to Toowoomba Qld (probably Highfields area) in early Dec. My Husband is Australian but has lived in the U.K for over 20 years. We are looking forward to being around family as we have 3 young children. Can anyone offer any advice around preschool in Aus. Our youngest is 3 and enjoys preschool here- is it the same there or will she only be able to go to private nursery until she starts prep (reception).? Thanks for anything really...CM
Have you been to Toowoomba?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

corinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura about

Yes we have several times we like the look of Highfields which is about 30 mins away.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:13 am
Just Joined

chellebelle will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Moving to Toowoomba

Hi there CM,
I have two kids aged 2 and 5. Five year old has just started "prep" which when I was little in Scotland used to be called Primary 1... ie first year going to school. They've just changed all the names of the years here in Queensland. Prior to that she was at "kindy". Kindy goes from 6 weeks old right up to five. In the last year at "kindy" it is actually called "Pre school" ie from 4 years old. It will depend on when your childs birthday is what age they will go into pre-school, but prior to that it is just kindy and different stages have different rooms.
The kindy is privately owned, but gets government fee assistance depending on your income. To be honest I couldn't tell you what eligibility you will have for that...(Ive been here 17 years so all those considerations are long behind me)... perhaps someone else on the forum can answer, but if your husband is Australian....
I also believe that the "pre school age" from 4 years on can go to a government (state) school rather than privately owned. Again not sure on the costing of this if any as we went through the privately owed facility.
Try researching the government website www.familyassist.gov.au to find out what eligibility you have for fee assistance.
Hope this helps a bit!
Michelle
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help Michelle- will look at the link you said CM
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

One of my clients who lives there, tells me there is a very active swingers club - honestly!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Lyd 66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey CM,
We live in Highfields, we have been here since 2007.
Its really nice area, about a 15min drive from Toowoomba.

There are a few of us brits living in Highfields, with quite a good social. I can personally recommend the Highfields Tavern

Look, if there is any questions you have then please feel free to fire away.

Takecare
Lynd.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this Lynd, we have family from Highfields who are currently visiting us in the UK. It's great to know that there is a Brit community there in Highfields although the comment about 'swingers' before is slightly worrying!!!
(Although each to their own and suppose that could happen anywhere)

Do you have small children or do you know if there are any Brit kids at the primary - although I'm sure that the kids will fit in anyway.

Where in the U.K do you originate?

Corina
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this Lynd, we have family from Highfields who are currently visiting us in the UK. It's great to know that there is a Brit community there in Highfields although the comment about 'swingers' before is slightly worrying!!!
(Although each to their own and suppose that could happen anywhere)

Do you have small children or do you know if there are any Brit kids at the primary - although I'm sure that the kids will fit in anyway.

Where in the U.K do you originate?

Corina
Hi Corina
I have lived in Toowoomba since Jan 08 with my OH and our 12 yr old son. Got to say I have never heard of any swinging clubs !!!
We really like here it has everything you needs (shops etc) and is not that far from the coast. It doesn't get too humid either and there are alot more brits here than most people realise.
You will be arriving in the middle of the summer and Toowoomba is a very picturesque during the summer months. I don't know much about pre-school as my son is just finishing primary and getting ready for high school.
Where are you from in the UK ??? We are from Rochdale (Lancashire).

Lisa
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Hey Corina,
Our children are over school age now... Thankfully

Some pommie friends of ours have to boys in the local primary school, they are 6 and 9. Its called Mary Mcinnock, apparently its a really good school. Cost wise, I believe its around $450 a year.

As for the quote regarding a 'swingers club'. I have no idea what he is talking about! Mind you, each to their own I guess..

We originate from Worcester in the midlands. Oz was a great move for us, no regrets at all.

Lynd
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Hi Lynd (again) and Lisa and thanks for your help.

My Husband is originally from Toowoomba but he moved 20 years ago, all his family is still there with a brother and his family also in Highfields (they are currently over here for a visit). We were over there last year and we went to the 'Highfields Tavern' we really liked the look of Highfields as it was as similar to home here as we could get. We live in a place called Snaith which is near Selby/York/Goole area and it is a great place to live with a great sense of community and well off the beaten track.

We got married 7 years ago at the Japanese Gardens in Toowoomba which was beautiful and it was great to visit them last year with the kids.

I have no doubt that we are doing the right thing as we have very little family over here. We do have a really good life here though and I have great friends who I will miss dreadfully- although I make friends easily but having a shared history makes it easier.

We are so different from the Aussies- which is my main concern- sure we will be ok- very nervous -but very exciting.

Have heard of the school you mention but thought it was Catholic?

Keep in touch- and many thanks both

Corina
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:12 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, the OH and I (no kids) are moving to Toowoomba in Feb 2010, so thought I'd say hello! Time can't pass quickly enough at the moment, wish we could just fast forward! GRR!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jen- hope all goes well do you have flights booked and what part of Toowoomba are you heading for?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jen,

I know what you mean about time cannot pass quickly enough we were the same. We are out in Highfields which is about 15 mins drive from Toowoomba, if you need any help asking about places in Toowoomba or surrounding areas give us a shout and we will advise if nice etc...

Do you have work already sorted?

Let us know when you arrive would be great to meet up.

Take care and have a great xmas. It absolutely boiling here and we still cant get our heads around xmas trees in the middle of summer.

Speak to you soon

Lyndon & Paulette x
Old Nov 27th 2009, 6:57 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jen- hope all goes well do you have flights booked and what part of Toowoomba are you heading for?
Flights are provisionally booked to leave NI for London on the 1st Feb, then after a few nites stopover in London and Singapore we arrive in Brisbane on the 6th Feb I think...

Not sure where in Toowoomba at the moment as we'll have temporary accomm when we first arrive, then we'll house hunt for a rental...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.