Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to Toowoomba 1st feb :)

moving to Toowoomba 1st feb :)

Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Libbysmummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Toowoomba 1st feb :)

Hi i'm Lisa, married to ste and have 3 boys aged 15,12,10 and a little princess 6 Hubby is starting work in Oakey and we are looking at moving to Highfields/middle ridge.rangeville areas, they are nice from what i've picked up on forums! I've researched quite a bit but i really need help with high schools for my eldest boys, cant afford private as will be on 457 visa! Any help on areas or moving to Oz in general much appreciated, i'm excited but terrified x x
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice
Default Re: moving to Toowoomba 1st feb :)

Originally Posted by Libbysmummy
Hi i'm Lisa, married to ste and have 3 boys aged 15,12,10 and a little princess 6 Hubby is starting work in Oakey and we are looking at moving to Highfields/middle ridge.rangeville areas, they are nice from what i've picked up on forums! I've researched quite a bit but i really need help with high schools for my eldest boys, cant afford private as will be on 457 visa! Any help on areas or moving to Oz in general much appreciated, i'm excited but terrified x x
Hi Lisa

Welcome to the forum. We've been living in Toowoomba (just south of the city near Preston Peak winery) for nearly six years now and love it here.

We looked at Highfields (the old part with acreage blocks) before we came but decided that it was just that bit too far out of town. It's also quite expensive there (IMO).

My son (now aged 16) went to Middle Ridge Primary and really enjoyed it there. The school bus services here are very good so he got the bus from where we live. He is now at Centenary Heights High School which has a good reputation.

Middle Ridge is a lovely area. We looked there too but the houses are mostly on quite small blocks and we wanted more space. (We have 2.5 acres where we are now.)

Rangeville is also a very sought after area - again properties are quite expensive there.....

Jen1977ni would probably be able to give you some good info about schools as she is a teacher here.

I would steer clear of Harristown High myself but, having said that, a friend's daughter went there and has just got an OP4 which is pretty impressive.

What will your husband be doing in Oakey - something related to the ADF? Or the abattoir?!

Please let me know if you need any further help or if your 15 year old would like to talk to my 16 year old. It's a difficult age to move kids isn't it? Tom is a proper Aussie now!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
What will your husband be doing in Oakey - something related to the ADF? Or the abattoir?!
Or the feed mill. That's about it in Oakey isn't it?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon Jen will be able to help you out here.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I reckon Jen will be able to help you out here.
HOWDY! Did somebody say my name?! I'd recommend Centenary Heights myself, that's where a lot of our pupils go and they're very happy there. I'd recommend the following places to live - we live in Kearneys Spring, it's really quiet and just round the corner from Middle Ridge. Rangeville is also fine, as is Highfields. It just depends what you're looking for I'd say. Anymore advice required just PM me and we'll take it from there! One thing I would say though is Oakey wouldn't be a place I'd choose to live, yes it's fine, but it's a bit isolated and there's not a lot happening there!

Off out to walk the dog now, but anymore questions, I'm here to answer them, though we'll be 'offline' from Monday to Thursday next week as the holiday rental we've booked on Straddie doesn't have WIFI.

Over and out...Jen xo

EDIT - Just seen that you have two primary aged children too, I teach in a lovely school very close to Centenary Heights and I'd highly recommend it for your 6 and 10 year olds. I'd recommend you ring school as soon as, kids start back 23rd, to arrange a visit when you arrive, as we're a very highly sought after school and are filling up fast!

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Jan 7th 2012 at 4:35 am.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
Hi Lisa

Welcome to the forum. We've been living in Toowoomba (just south of the city near Preston Peak winery) for nearly six years now and love it here.

We looked at Highfields (the old part with acreage blocks) before we came but decided that it was just that bit too far out of town. It's also quite expensive there (IMO).

My son (now aged 16) went to Middle Ridge Primary and really enjoyed it there. The school bus services here are very good so he got the bus from where we live. He is now at Centenary Heights High School which has a good reputation.

Middle Ridge is a lovely area. We looked there too but the houses are mostly on quite small blocks and we wanted more space. (We have 2.5 acres where we are now.)

Rangeville is also a very sought after area - again properties are quite expensive there.....

Jen1977ni would probably be able to give you some good info about schools as she is a teacher here.

I would steer clear of Harristown High myself but, having said that, a friend's daughter went there and has just got an OP4 which is pretty impressive.

Please let me know if you need any further help or if your 15 year old would like to talk to my 16 year old. It's a difficult age to move kids isn't it? Tom is a proper Aussie now!
Hi, my eldest whos 15 is Tom! Does your son like it at his high school? My husband will be working for Toyota hes a motor mechanic.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
HOWDY! Did somebody say my name?! I'd recommend Centenary Heights myself, that's where a lot of our pupils go and they're very happy there. I'd recommend the following places to live - we live in Kearneys Spring, it's really quiet and just round the corner from Middle Ridge. Rangeville is also fine, as is Highfields. It just depends what you're looking for I'd say. Anymore advice required just PM me and we'll take it from there! One thing I would say though is Oakey wouldn't be a place I'd choose to live, yes it's fine, but it's a bit isolated and there's not a lot happening there!

Off out to walk the dog now, but anymore questions, I'm here to answer them, though we'll be 'offline' from Monday to Thursday next week as the holiday rental we've booked on Straddie doesn't have WIFI.

Over and out...Jen xo

EDIT - Just seen that you have two primary aged children too, I teach in a lovely school very close to Centenary Heights and I'd highly recommend it for your 6 and 10 year olds. I'd recommend you ring school as soon as, kids start back 23rd, to arrange a visit when you arrive, as we're a very highly sought after school and are filling up fast!
Hiya we have looked at Kearney springs too, its so hard when your looking at pics on the internet! We'll have a good look round once were there, i get excited one minute then worry that i'm doing the right thing by the kids, i suppose everyone thats ever emmigrated goes through all the emotions though! Thanks for your replies x x
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:19 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably need to post another few times in order to send or receive messages by the way. I'd also recommend Middle Ridge State School but they are a highly sought after school so get in there quickly!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Hi, my eldest whos 15 is Tom! Does your son like it at his high school? My husband will be working for Toyota hes a motor mechanic.
Hi again

Tom does enjoy it at school but I think it's more to do with being with his mates and playing football at break times than studying! It's fair to say that he really didn't put in much work before Grade 11 as he is fairly bright and was able to get by without too much effort. Grade 11 came as a bit of a shock and the school does expect a lot of the kids in Grades 11 and 12. We have had a couple of meetings with the Principal about his lack of effort!

The school is very good too for kids who aren't academic though and kids are able to do traineeships while they are still at school and combine study at TAFE with school.

Would you be looking at your Tom going into Grade 11?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help but notice that your 'little princess' is foremost in your mind...how is Libby BTW?? Poor brothers...probably feel so left out!
I'm teasing BTW!! As for Oakey/Toowoomba....as Jen mentioned, if you have to live there then there are some decent family places...but if you DID'NT have to live there then there are a LOT of better places to live. But its all down to personal taste and once you get used to Oz, the snakes and spiders in Oakey particularly, then your OH can easily transfer to soemwhere with electricity!!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Oi, back in your box lol

Originally Posted by paddyo
Can't help but notice that your 'little princess' is foremost in your mind...how is Libby BTW?? Poor brothers...probably feel so left out!
I'm teasing BTW!! As for Oakey/Toowoomba....as Jen mentioned, if you have to live there then there are some decent family places...but if you DID'NT have to live there then there are a LOT of better places to live. But its all down to personal taste and once you get used to Oz, the snakes and spiders in Oakey particularly, then your OH can easily transfer to soemwhere with electricity!!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:41 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Don't live in Oakey.

Middle Ridge is Toowoomba's posh.

Lovely place Toowoomba. I might consider joining the retired population there if I couldn't escape Oz.

Some of the locals are nice too.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:48 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Oi, back in your box lol
ok...I'm in it
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:28 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hey, how's it all going? Give me a shout if you need any advice or anything xo
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Joolz will become famous soon enough

I moved to Toowoomba beginning of Nov from Chippenham and am loving it here.
Our 2.5 yr old loves the parks and play areas, and there is enough to do to keep us entertained so far. Will probably pop down to the coast for a weekend at some point when I get bored

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.