Reload this Page >

moving too oz need advice pleaseeeeeeee

moving too oz need advice pleaseeeeeeee

Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:34 pm
k w
Just Joined

k w is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving too oz need advice pleaseeeeeeee

Im moving to Oz in the new year just wanted to hear from people who have moved from England -Oz and do they have any advice
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: moving too oz need advice pleaseeeeeeee

1. Decide where you would like to move to.
2. Investigate whether you have a chance of getting a visa.
3. Pack suitcase.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
1. Decide where you would like to move to.
2. Investigate whether you have a chance of getting a visa.
3. Pack suitcase.
and
4. See if there is any work of your type in the area you want to move to
5. See if you can afford a rental or purchase in that area
6. Buy some decent sunglasses because you'll be wearing them nearly everyday :-)
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:25 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
and

6. Buy some decent sunglasses because you'll be wearing them nearly everyday :-)
not forgetting to make them the rose tinted variety
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
not forgetting to make them the rose tinted variety
They turn rose tinted once you get here. Everytime you think of the UK you use your sunglasses :-)
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:17 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Hey K W

We got to Australia about 6 weeks ago (haven't needed those sunglasses much as the rain followed us up the East Coast!!) and I'd just say that it is a big move and you need to make sure you're clear on what you want out of it, that way when it gets hard (and it probably will, even if it just the waiting) you'll have that to keep in mind. There are plenty of threads on here where you can get a feel for real life out here, without the fact that alot of stuff in the UK sucks clouding your vision.

As I say, we've only been here a short time but I think we came with fairly realistic expectations and they've all been met so far. People in general have been extremely friendly (like in the UK on a sunny day!), the food is great and there are some stunning places to visit. The TV sucks, the heat can be tough to cope with and it is no cheaper overall than the UK but none of that is why we came. We wanted an excellent adventure and we're certainly getting that!!

Don't know if that helps but I guess what I'm saying is research the reality not the TV version of Australia and if it still appeals, give it a go. You can always go back

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Joanne Crespin has a brilliant futureJoanne Crespin has a brilliant futureJoanne Crespin has a brilliant futureJoanne Crespin has a brilliant futureJoanne Crespin has a brilliant futureJoanne Crespin has a brilliant future
Smile Re: moving too oz need advice pleaseeeeeeee

Pinkie, I think that's great advice for K W except do you really think our tv is worse than in the UK????

K W there are so many forums like this one, websites and other sources of valuable free information available so you can get a feel of the real Australia.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Last edited by Sue; Nov 22nd 2007 at 1:20 am. Reason: URL removed. Read rule 9: You have a business partnership with the company whose url you posted.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by k w
Im moving to Oz in the new year just wanted to hear from people who have moved from England -Oz and do they have any advice
Oz is a big place, where are you heading to? East, West, South? not sure?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:00 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Maybe it's just the places we've been staying, we currently have 31 channels but they're the same 5 repeated in a variety of levels of fuzziness!! I think I just miss tv with no adverts or at least not 5 sets in a half hour show. Never thought I'd say it but god bless the bbc and their licence fee

Maybe I should be out in the sunshine and not watching so much tv too eh......
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Maybe it's just the places we've been staying, we currently have 31 channels but they're the same 5 repeated in a variety of levels of fuzziness!! I think I just miss tv with no adverts or at least not 5 sets in a half hour show. Never thought I'd say it but god bless the bbc and their licence fee

Maybe I should be out in the sunshine and not watching so much tv too eh......
At night time though everyone watches the telly. We have Austar which is OK but I wish we could get the UK TV here
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:31 am
Playing the game

I think when we get a house that or Foxtel (is that the equivalent of Sky?) are a must for me as I've always been a bit of a tv/film geek. OH is into computers so he can have his broadband if I can get that
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:40 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by k w
Ask why, no REALLY ask why, and ask why the UK doesn't do it for you and whether another bit of it would do just as well.

If you are looking to escape something then chances are you'll find it here too, especially if it's related to human nature (we even have a crap boy band called Human Nature just to prove the point).

Or do it just for the hell of it.

And keep posting here, it's an invaluable source of information.

But ignore it all and listen to that voice inside of you.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:57 am
k w
Just Joined

k w is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW what a response. Thank u to you all for your advice
Well my visa is at its final stages, my partner is from Adelaide so we are heading there, hopefully mid January08.
Its just the getting set up and getting a job thats scaring me the most. Im more then sure im making the right decision just need some friends out there and I will be well away.
So you friendly bunch if you have any more advice keep it coming.
Oh and if any body can advise me of last minute things i should be doing here before I leave, fire away as im sure to forget something.
Well BIG thank u and hope to hear from any of you soon
bye