Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney in October

Moving to Sydney in October

Old Apr 27th 2018, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

andychester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sydney in October

Sponsored by my company and moving on a 482 visa temporary visa , at least initially for 4 years.
My company is based in Gladesville.
I now need to find somewhere to live , house 3 beds min , 2 bathroom and pool.
Where would it be best to locate to , ideally travel no more that 30-45 mins to work.
Also any agencies who could help would be appreciated
Thanks
Andy
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney in October

Hi Andy, are you planning to rent or buy? (I'd always recommend renting initially.) What's your budget? Do you have a family and needs to find schools? Would you be driving or taking public transport?

Give us a bit more information and we Sydneysiders will try to help.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Kooky. You haven't provided enough information, most importantly, budget.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:48 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if that seems nosey but it would determine which direction we send you off in, as there is some very expensive real estate around there.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks everybody for replies
Yes we do need more help and yes I will give more details
Your not kidding renting is expensive 🙁
We intend to rent as my company is part sponsoring that , so budget is circa 1500 per week but can be a little flexible.
I will drive to work , which will be in Gladesville ....don’t mind 45 min cummute if needs be.
I ideally would like min 3 beds as we will have lots of visitors ( I have two grown up girls still in UK)
Hope I have given you enough info and eagerly await your replies.
BTW we are visiting in June for 2 weeks to try and set up things like agents , banks etc
Any help again is appreciated , especially good agents
Thanks
Andy
Old Apr 28th 2018, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andychester
We intend to rent as my company is part sponsoring that , so budget is circa 1500 per week but can be a little flexible.
I will drive to work , which will be in Gladesville ....don’t mind 45 min cummute if needs be.
I ideally would like min 3 beds as we will have lots of visitors ( I have two grown up girls still in UK)
BTW we are visiting in June for 2 weeks to try and set up things like agents , banks etc
Thanks
Andy
Cough cough. $1500 PW. Well you should have plenty of wriggle room.

Can you stretch to $1650 per week?

Here's a nice-ish 3 bed, 2 bath, to start your adventure right on the ocean with views.

10/14 Wilga Street Bondi Beach NSW 2026

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-bondi+beach-423115694

Probably about a 30 min drive to Gladesville through the Cross City Tunnel.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If the ocean isn't your thing but the pool is then there's this about a 10 minute drive from Gladesville.

Lane Cove is not as action packed as Bondi but it does have a pool.

5 Beta Road Lane Cove NSW 2066

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-lane+cove-423554602

The ocean and pool combo is going to set you back a bit more. One or the other I'm afraid.

However you could do it if you stretch that commute to 45 mins and live on the Northern Beaches or in the Shire.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow look at this party pad.

14a Bligh Crescent Seaforth NSW 2092

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-seaforth-423644062

Here's one in the Shire with the pool and the boat 3 steps away.

38 Macintyre Crescent Sylvania Waters NSW 2224

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-sylvania+waters-423681850
Old Apr 28th 2018, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks
Andy
Thanks Beoz
Should maybe add we will be bringing our dog.
And a pool and not beach is desirable , although easily driveable to beach is also good.
We definetley want a house and not apartment hence budget.
Thanks
Andy
Old Apr 28th 2018, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Beoz
Should maybe add we will be bringing our dog.
And a pool and not beach is desirable , although easily driveable to beach is also good.
We definetley want a house and not apartment hence budget.
Thanks
Andy
Best if you find some houses on realestate.com.au, post them on here and we can tell you about the area they are in.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 2:47 am
Auntie Fa

Sorry for silence, I was making the long journey to the mothership.

Looks like Beoz is helping you out anyway. BTW don't discount his Eastern Suburbs suggestion, we live south side and my husband works at North Ryde. Easy commute unless it's Friday night and raining. I'd say the Shire is a bit too far though. Northern beaches not a problem.

We rented in McMahons Point when we first arrived and I have to say I find the Lower North Shore pretty but dull as ditchwater. I'd include Lane Cove in that.

When you say agent, do you mean a relocation agent? I can send you details of the one we used (though that was ten years ago) but TBH we only used her because the company paid - I think you're better off going online and doing it yourself.
Old May 1st 2018, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Renting a house looks like its a nightmare for an expat who doesn't know the game...hence my question about an agent doing it for us...yes company will pay but any other suggestions welcome
Thanks
Andy
Old May 1st 2018, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Renting a house looks like its a nightmare for an expat who doesn't know the game...hence my question about an agent doing it for us...yes company will pay but any other suggestions welcome
Thanks
Andy
Not really. First month you would get a serviced apartment and in that time view and apply for houses. Make sure you have all you bank statements, references, etc, ready to roll. The application forms can be long so make sure your hand is well practiced at writing.

You don't really want to be viewing houses from real estate website photo's and many agents/landlords won't rent to you without meeting you in the flesh.