Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney in the next 6 weeks?

Moving to Sydney in the next 6 weeks?

Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

katherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nice
Default Moving to Sydney in the next 6 weeks?

If you've moving to Sydney in the next 6 weeks and wondering where you're going to live and what furniture you're going to fill your house with, I might be able to help.

We've moving back to the UK in early April and have a leased flat and a whole load of stuff that we need to get rid of. Furniture-wise, less than 2 years ago we kitted out the flat with the very best of Ikea. We're selling the whole lot & wondered whether there might be someone out there who wants to take everything off our hands for a package price. We've got everything from beds through to a tv and other small electrical items.

On the rental front, we're breaking the lease on the flat & thought it would be perfect if there's someone arriving in Sydney who needs somewhere to live who could take over the lease from us (it runs out in November 08). It's a 2 bed, 2 bath top floor flat with parking in Rozelle with waterviews.

If you're interested, send me a PM. I'm also happy to answer general questions online.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney in the next 6 weeks?

Hi
We are moving in early May and looking to buy everything and looking for an appartment though yours might be outside our $400 per week price range. If you still havent got rid of your furnishings by then please let me know
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by katherinious
If you've moving to Sydney in the next 6 weeks and wondering where you're going to live and what furniture you're going to fill your house with, I might be able to help.

We've moving back to the UK in early April and have a leased flat and a whole load of stuff that we need to get rid of. Furniture-wise, less than 2 years ago we kitted out the flat with the very best of Ikea. We're selling the whole lot & wondered whether there might be someone out there who wants to take everything off our hands for a package price. We've got everything from beds through to a tv and other small electrical items.

On the rental front, we're breaking the lease on the flat & thought it would be perfect if there's someone arriving in Sydney who needs somewhere to live who could take over the lease from us (it runs out in November 08). It's a 2 bed, 2 bath top floor flat with parking in Rozelle with waterviews.

If you're interested, send me a PM. I'm also happy to answer general questions online.
We're arriving on Tuesday - have sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Simon
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

katherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nice

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi
We are moving in early May and looking to buy everything and looking for an appartment though yours might be outside our $400 per week price range. If you still havent got rid of your furnishings by then please let me know
We're leaving Sydney in early April so will have hopefully sold everything by then. If we get stuck, I guess we'll have to start giving stuff away!

I forgot to add, as well as furniture and a flat to dispose of, we also have a car.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Can I just add (and I don't know the original poster from a bar of soap) that Rozelle is abut 15 mins from the city (20-25 odd by public transport) and is in an excellent location overall, provided the flat is not actually down on busy Victoria Road, I'd strongly recommend people (well a couple at least) look at this, as Rentals in Sydney are only going to get harder in the coming months
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

oh, and it is quite normal for Leases to be taken over by tenants that are not the original tenants, our lease has a term in it allowing us to do just that, so watch this space in about 12-13 months time!

Our neighbour headed off to chef school in France with his GF and sublet part/all of his house for 12 months, and it worked out nicely for him.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deryans
oh, and it is quite normal for Leases to be taken over by tenants that are not the original tenants, our lease has a term in it allowing us to do just that, so watch this space in about 12-13 months time!

Our neighbour headed off to chef school in France with his GF and sublet part/all of his house for 12 months, and it worked out nicely for him.
Thanks for the plug! I think Rozelle is great. It's so close to the CBD but being on the Balmain peninsular makes it feel quite villagely. I commute to Martin Place in the CBD every day & it takes about 25 mins door to door on the bus. Getting into town at the weekend is a lot quicker - it's about 10 minutes to Town Hall.

The flat is in the Balmain Shores development & benefits from resort facilities (2 pools & a gym) & is less than 5 mins walk to the buses on Victoria Road. But note that we don't have any problem with traffic noise. And yes, the rental market is beyond silly right now. We looked at 15+ properties & applied for 3 other places before securing this place last November.

As far as sub-letting goes, this would all be done officially through the estate agent. New tenants would be reference-checked & go through all the same sort of paperwork as if they were applying for the property through an open inspection.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

As far as sub-letting goes, this would all be done officially through the estate agent. New tenants would be reference-checked & go through all the same sort of paperwork as if they were applying for the property through an open inspection.

But you can choose to sub let, and therefore you can effectively put the next tenant (i.e someone from this forum) well ahead of the melee that ensues with the usual open-view saturday morning 25 minute bun fight , so ensuring no competition as far as the general hoi polloi ?

Is that your understanding, can the estate agent say, no to your idea?

edit, Balmain Shores is fine, great location, good pools, good for kids and no traffic noise, I know two other families who live there and we often come over for barbies/pool mayhem with kids. You can walk to Birkenhead supermarkets and bus/birkenhead ferry is 5 mins walk.

It is a flat/apartment complex, but I found other people to be fairly unobtrusive (then I've not lived there), It's also right on the bay run .

Last edited by deryans; Feb 20th 2008 at 8:21 am. Reason: balmain shores plug- sort of
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deryans
But you can choose to sub let, and therefore you can effectively put the next tenant (i.e someone from this forum) well ahead of the melee that ensues with the usual open-view saturday morning 25 minute bun fight , so ensuring no competition as far as the general hoi polloi ?

Is that your understanding, can the estate agent say, no to your idea?

edit, Balmain Shores is fine, great location, good pools, good for kids and no traffic noise, I know two other families who live there and we often come over for barbies/pool mayhem with kids. You can walk to Birkenhead supermarkets and bus/birkenhead ferry is 5 mins walk.

It is a flat/apartment complex, but I found other people to be fairly unobtrusive (then I've not lived there), It's also right on the bay run .
There's nothing in our contract that says we can't do this. However, the estate agent will ultimately have the final decision. As we are breaking the contract we need to pay for the advertising costs, therefore if we find someone who can be referenced checked & pay the deposit & the landlord is happy for them to take over the lease, then it saves everyone the misery of the Saturday morning bun fight.

We got this flat via a mid-week viewing - the weekend viewing was subsequently cancelled - we were the first applicants.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:09 am
Just Joined

machete will become famous soon enoughmachete will become famous soon enough

There's nothing in our contract that says we can't do this. However, the estate agent will ultimately have the final decision. As we are breaking the contract we need to pay for the advertising costs, therefore if we find someone who can be referenced checked & pay the deposit & the landlord is happy for them to take over the lease, then it saves everyone the misery of the Saturday morning bun fight.

We got this flat via a mid-week viewing - the weekend viewing was subsequently cancelled - we were the first applicants.
How can I conatct you? I'll be there in 3 weeks.

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by machete
How can I conatct you? I'll be there in 3 weeks.

Cheers
click on my name (katherinious) and select the 'send a private message' option.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:19 am
Just Joined

leemg78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have PM'd you. I am moving out in less than 6 weeks and my oter half is already down under and just moved in to our new apartment - minus any furniture. We have access to a car and can pick items up.

Thanks

Lee
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leemg78
Hi,

I have PM'd you. I am moving out in less than 6 weeks and my oter half is already down under and just moved in to our new apartment - minus any furniture. We have access to a car and can pick items up.

Thanks

Lee
Just wanted to give this another bump. We've got to tell our estate agents that we're moving out by this Friday (29th Feb), so if you are looking for a place to rent & want to avoid the pain of Saturday morning viewings, not to mention the ridiculous competition in the Sydney rental market at the moment, let me know.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

We are moving to Sydney in April, can you give me some more info, such as the rental costs and any other fixed costs such as a management fee you would hav e to pay as well.

Would of sent you a private message, but this is only my second post since joining.

I hope you manage to find someone to take it off your hands

All the best

AberJazz
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

The sale continues and we now have a car to offer too

http://www.drive.com.au/used/search/...spx?id=4163150

PM me if you're interested or contact via the Drive website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.