Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney - need help for compensation negotiations

Moving to Sydney - need help for compensation negotiations

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Sydney - need help for compensation negotiations

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't think they have used current exchange rate, if they had I think the offer would be well below 100k even with 15pc added on. Perhaps the company offered the going rate as they saw it and it wasn't a mathematical exercise for them.
Not an exact science. Figures are rounded up/down.

They used a factor of 1.88 approx 46000 +15%*1.88=100000

The op need to see if this is the going rate for his new job and compare like for like cost of living.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Perhaps the company offered the going rate as they saw it and it wasn't a mathematical exercise for them.
Thats what I'd expect, from their p.o.v. they'll just be comparing you with hiring a local to do the same job, not applying any sort of conversion on your current salary. From my experience $100k in Sydney won't buy the same as £46k in the UK, its also not a wonderful salary for a Business Consultant, never mind a PM.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I recently went through the same decision as you. My company started an exact exchange rate which I laughed off immediately and told them to look at the currency graph. They came back with a 2.3 conversion which I accepted. I felt at the time that a fair exchange was about 2 to 2.1 and having done many trips to Australia over the past 2 years I had an opportunity to get a feel for cost of living compared to London.

I've had my first couple of paychecks now and things are good. I'm more concerned about what I can save every month rather than the cost of living. In London I was saving on average about 700 pounds per month. So far in Sydney I'm looking at about $2000. Mind you I had a few hits with rental bonds etc but you expect that at the start. All in all I think I've made a good decision financially.

You also have to bear in mind your companies ability to find someone else who can do that job. It's a supply and demand market. My partner got a nice little x3 conversion but no one does that job in Australia.

Best of luck making a decision. Just remember - you can't put a value on the price of experience of living in another country.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I'd probably think $120k to $130k inc super would be about right for this sort of role.

What sort of visa will it be too and what will they be paying for in your move? If it is a temporary visa LAFHA would boost your salary quite a bit.

Last edited by spottydog; Jan 26th 2011 at 6:37 am. Reason: extras
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by googoosan
My future role would be a Consulting Engagement Manager in IT. My current role is that of a Business Consultant.
These are very different roles in terms of the nature of work involved. Engagement managers normally maintain liasions with multiple clients and manage multiple consultants across a spectrum of projects.

So accountabilities of EM are quite high as compared to a Consultant/BA who normally interacts with one client at a time. $120k is the ideal package for someone who is just entering EM role in Sydney. Good luck
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kalenge
But you're coming from London which has a higher cost of living than Sydney.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iate_employees

$150k in Sydney sounds way too high for your £46k in London as a straight comparison.
What type of job and what's your role? Surely your company will only pay somewhere around the going rate that the job and role fetches in Sydney?
That's not been my experience at all. I moved back to London 4 months ago and I have found it to be far cheaper than Sydney. I was on around $150K base and I (at the current exchange rate) took a pay cut to get back into the City and I am vastly better off than I was. Food is cheaper and so is housing in fact other than petrol I'm struggling to find anything more expensive in London. Catching the Tube is crap though and so is the weather.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
That's not been my experience at all. I moved back to London 4 months ago and I have found it to be far cheaper than Sydney. I was on around $150K base and I (at the current exchange rate) took a pay cut to get back into the City and I am vastly better off than I was. Food is cheaper and so is housing in fact other than petrol I'm struggling to find anything more expensive in London. Catching the Tube is crap though and so is the weather.
I feel I must be living in a parallel universe. We returned to London (although frm Melbourne) in August and I a finding it far more expensive. Every one else says it is cheaper but I have not found that. We are finding managing a budget far harder here (for food, bills etc)
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pomster
I feel I must be living in a parallel universe. We returned to London (although frm Melbourne) in August and I a finding it far more expensive. Every one else says it is cheaper but I have not found that. We are finding managing a budget far harder here (for food, bills etc)
Interesting because I used to spend far more in food shopping in Sydney than I do here in London I think I probably spend about 40% less.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Why do you say you took a pay cut at the current exchange rate? I doubt anyone moving that direction is going to be able to get a GBP equivalent at current exchange rates. If you are comparing things by looking at current exchange rates then I am not surprised you are finding it cheap.

I think it is much the same myself. I pay a lot more in accommodation now in Sydney, but then I live in a fairly large house 40 mnutes on a bus into the CBD. If I lived in the same size house a 40 minutes bus ride from the City I think it would be pretty expensive in London too.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:20 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Find out the going rate for the role in Sydney. The market talks more than cost of living.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:32 am
ABCDiamond

Hi,

I currently work in London, and make £46144 per year. I have been asked if I would be interested to move to our Sydney office, assuming a greater role. This is a good opportunity in terms of career growth, however I am not sure about what should the salary negotiation be?

What would be a decent conversion of my current salary plus 15 % rise according to Sydney's cost of living standards? Will 150 k AUD be too much to ask? What is the least salary that I can compromise for? 120 k?

- Jay
Using some figures I did in 2009, your £46,144 is 1.67 times the UK average full time wage at the time.

The current Australian Average Full time total earnings multiplied by that same 1.67 = $115,000. Add your 15% to that and you get $132,000. Super is not included in average wages, so that figure should be just the salary.

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

googoosan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys for the replies. They have come back to me with an offer of 100 k, up from their initial offer in 80-90. I was at 135, when they said 100. I have asked for 115 with LAFHA, as a final try.

Let's hope they agree.

cheers,
Jay
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys for the replies. They have come back to me with an offer of 100 k, up from their initial offer in 80-90. I was at 135, when they said 100. I have asked for 115 with LAFHA, as a final try.

Let's hope they agree.

cheers,
Jay
Might I add ..... LAHFA is not your employers tax break, its your tax break. They shouldn't for one second throw that into your overall salary negotiations - but they to have to support your claim for it.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Might I add ..... LAHFA is not your employers tax break, its your tax break. They shouldn't for one second throw that into your overall salary negotiations - but they to have to support your claim for it.
^ true, and also bear in mind one option is to use a "salary packaging company" who will process the LAFHA for you, they charge a fee (haggle, should be around 3% but in your case as you're not using an agency they may also remove the need to you to form an ABN). TBH though, we're now getting into "advice from an accountant" land.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I moved 3 years ago at a different exchange rate, to a different city (Brissy) in a different industry so the comparison may not be great, but I was on about GBP44K and came to $125K inc super, no LAFHA, and my disposable income went up. $100K in Sydney though is pretty low if you are used to mid 40's in London. I was offered (3 years ago) $130K in Sydney and felt that it wouldn't be enough to keep my lifestyle compared to London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.