Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to Sydney - Need advice on short term accommodation.

moving to Sydney - Need advice on short term accommodation.

Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

moohaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Sydney - Need advice on short term accommodation.

Looks like we may be off from London to Sydney, probably in December. Any suggestions on short term accommodation while we wait for our furniture to arrive/find a place to rent longer term? Assuming it may be 2 months as Christmas & NY will be happening.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:38 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Sydney - Need advice on short term accommodation.

Hi moohaslam,

Welcome to BE. I can't help with your question I'm afraid as I live in the US, but I've moved your post into the Australia forum, and I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help point you in the right direction.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community and if you get stuck on anything please don't hesitate to ask myself or a moderator, or you can post in our Site Feedback forum anytime.

The best of luck with you upcoming move.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on budget really and how many of you there are? We stayed in the Fraser Suites on Kent Street in CBD for the first five weeks after we arrived. Worked for us, about $200 per night for a one bed serviced apartment but quite expensive over five weeks.

I am not sure I would recommend staying in temporary accommodation until furniture arrives, that can be three months sometimes. Many people move into the house and use airbeds and purchased garden furniture in the house until the container arrives.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:54 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if you have a search you should find previous threads on this. As per BS, the area around Kent and Sussex streets has quite a few serviced apartments, and there is also Oaks Properties which has a few dotted around, including the Goldsbrough at Darling Harbour.

Do remember that you're moving here in peak holiday season and things will get booked up (and prices at a premium).

We moved straight into our unfurnished rental property and rented the bare essentials (furniture, kitchen equipment, laundry stuff, etc.) until our shipping arrived.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Check these apartments out too. They are around the corner from me. http://www.drummoyne-serviced-apartm...servations.php Slightly cheaper than the one BS mentions, because they are not in the CBD, but still very close to the action and with lots of regular public transport options. I would get my skates on if I was you, as you are coming over in the holiday season. Things get booked out very far in advance in Sydney.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

I posted this on a thread the other day. It's actually $109 per night for booking for 4 week and like I say basic but clean and a good location.

I happened to be walking up Kent st last night and saw an advert for some serviced apartments that were a very good price indeed. 'Rex' I think was the name of them. No idea what they are like but prices started from $450 per week for a studio.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look at

http://www.rent-a-home.com.au/accomm...FUYYHAod73U4eQ

There seem to be quite a few options at reasonable prices.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I would check gumtree.com. there are always private landlords looking for people to short term let their houses, especially around that time of year.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

moohaslam is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot thank you all enough for your time. I'm new to this forum milarky and your kindness is much much appreciated.