Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney... help please...

Moving to Sydney... help please...

Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

michdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Sydney... help please...

It really depends what time you leave home... by car, at peak times, it could take you up to 45 minutes to even an hour (but that's standard for Sydney commutes from the Northern Beaches into the city probably, although I appreciate somewhat better than sitting on the M25 around London!). I used to have clients in Miller Street & could leave home at 8.30 a.m. & be there by 9.05. In the middle of the day on a clear run, it takes about 25 mins to Miller Street. Hope that helps. You can also get a bus which involves 1 change I think at Neutral Bay & probably takes about 40 mins I guess.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:58 pm
Banned

the big nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michdp
It really depends what time you leave home... by car, at peak times, it could take you up to 45 minutes to even an hour (but that's standard for Sydney commutes from the Northern Beaches into the city probably, although I appreciate somewhat better than sitting on the M25 around London!). I used to have clients in Miller Street & could leave home at 8.30 a.m. & be there by 9.05. In the middle of the day on a clear run, it takes about 25 mins to Miller Street. Hope that helps. You can also get a bus which involves 1 change I think at Neutral Bay & probably takes about 40 mins I guess.
many thanks........big help.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the big nowhere
many thanks........big help.
Use this website, will plan from door to door!

http://www.131500.info/realtime/default.asp
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

I had my heart set on Collaroy before we moved here but seeing the snarl ups on the Spit Bridge and stationery traffic at Spit Junction and Military Road put me off. I guess some people are more cut out for traffic jams than me. We ended up in Mosman which costs us loads more in rent but is only a 10 - 15 min bus ride to North Sydney. Seaforth is lovely by the way but you still have to cross the bridge. I would prefer to live there than Mosman as there is more space and the houses are bigger. Just can't do traffic jams I'm afraid.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:56 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
I had my heart set on Collaroy before we moved here but seeing the snarl ups on the Spit Bridge and stationery traffic at Spit Junction and Military Road put me off. I guess some people are more cut out for traffic jams than me. We ended up in Mosman which costs us loads more in rent but is only a 10 - 15 min bus ride to North Sydney. Seaforth is lovely by the way but you still have to cross the bridge. I would prefer to live there than Mosman as there is more space and the houses are bigger. Just can't do traffic jams I'm afraid.
Totally agree, if you work north of the bridge....but for the CBD the ferry never has a jam!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:55 pm
Banned

kitten_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
I can totally endorse michdp's comments. I live in Manly, we had no car at first and it suited us perfectly. I was originally hard set on Collaroy but when I got here I soon changed my mind. Nothing can ever compare to actually driving around and seeing the places as they are rather than on a map of google earth! Now, well we have transport and if we had a choice all over again would probably still choose Manly but would also now consider Seaforth, Fairlight, Balgowlah and Brookvale/Harbord.
Are you looking to buy or rent?
We will rent at first but in the longer term will end up buying.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
I have no idea where we will work, my hubbie and I are both contractors in IT so imagine we will be all over the place. I have been told that there is a lot of industry in North Ryde?? Is that right and whats commuting like to there?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Commute from the Northern Beaches to North Ryde is not easy... There are several bottle necks on Mona Vale/Ryde Roads and they cope with alot of traffic..... No public transport to speak of and the new Epping to Chatswood rail line due to open Dec 08 wont help that commute.................
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:35 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by kitten_
I have no idea where we will work, my hubbie and I are both contractors in IT so imagine we will be all over the place. I have been told that there is a lot of industry in North Ryde?? Is that right and whats commuting like to there?
North Ryde is a IT hotbed...but a nightmare to get to from lots of places not just the Northern Beaches. If that is where you will be working I would seriously consider your location options and look maybe at the Meadowbank/West Ryde areas. That would be best for public transport and also good value rental rates. But, if you are prepared to commute with your own transport then your options are more open but as a previous poster said, Lane Cove area can get congested.
But IT can be anywhere so I would have an open mind for now, find the work first then decide on your location. As a contractor I am assuming some of your work may be temp or short periods so it will be essential for you to establish a good home base.
Renting will be your best option initially, it will enable you to look at the market, get a better perspective on the suburbs and have a more informed opinion on your commute.
I was originally going to have to work in North Ryde hence thats why I had already looked at rentals in those areas. Thankfully for me the office moved to Woolloomooloo!!!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:36 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Commute from the Northern Beaches to North Ryde is not easy... There are several bottle necks on Mona Vale/Ryde Roads and they cope with alot of traffic..... No public transport to speak of and the new Epping to Chatswood rail line due to open Dec 08 wont help that commute.................
I will back this up - plus if you rely on public transport it is a different bus company east of the Pacfic Hwy of the (Mona Vale Rd) & to the west (Ryde Rd) resulting in changing at Gordon Station which adds a lot to commuting time. There are also no bus lanes so bus get stuck in what seems to be ever increasing traffic on the Ryde Rd (west bound) part towards Nth Ryde.

OH works in Nth Ryde & as work is 5days a week that is a priority for commuting time over the beach.

We are in good distance of Nth Ryde - can be walked, cycled (some tough hills for the unfit!), bus (see above re getting stuck in traffic) or car (ditto re bus), and also walking distance (1.4km up hill mainly) to station, but this comes at a cost. For Nth Ryde (forgetting closeness to beach) then cheaper places avoiding the tolls rds are Sth Turramurra or Wahroonga (west of Commenara Parkway) and near bush (which can be cut through cycling to get to Nth Ryde). Of course 'cheaper' does depend on your budget.

Our DD is 4 at the end of the year and should be in pre school at the start of next year. Could have been in this year if we had her name on the waiting list much earlier, ie get names down ASAP
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:05 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by walaj
I will back this up - plus if you rely on public transport it is a different bus company east of the Pacfic Hwy of the (Mona Vale Rd) & to the west (Ryde Rd) resulting in changing at Gordon Station which adds a lot to commuting time. There are also no bus lanes so bus get stuck in what seems to be ever increasing traffic on the Ryde Rd (west bound) part towards Nth Ryde.

OH works in Nth Ryde & as work is 5days a week that is a priority for commuting time over the beach.

We are in good distance of Nth Ryde - can be walked, cycled (some tough hills for the unfit!), bus (see above re getting stuck in traffic) or car (ditto re bus), and also walking distance (1.4km up hill mainly) to station, but this comes at a cost. For Nth Ryde (forgetting closeness to beach) then cheaper places avoiding the tolls rds are Sth Turramurra or Wahroonga (west of Commenara Parkway) and near bush (which can be cut through cycling to get to Nth Ryde). Of course 'cheaper' does depend on your budget.

Our DD is 4 at the end of the year and should be in pre school at the start of next year. Could have been in this year if we had her name on the waiting list much earlier, ie get names down ASAP
so where do you live then?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 7:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by walaj

If we decide on North Ryde area, what are schools etc like, can you suggest any good schools, please?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:12 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kitten I am of absolutely no use to you as I live down south (cronulla) but just wanted to say Hi and welcome to a fellow Sydneysider to be
Old Jun 21st 2008, 7:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by asher
Hi Kitten I am of absolutely no use to you as I live down south (cronulla) but just wanted to say Hi and welcome to a fellow Sydneysider to be
Hi... Where is Cronulla? When are you moving to Sydney?