Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney, Castle Hill?

Moving to Sydney, Castle Hill?

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

JackLem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sydney, Castle Hill?

Hi. Just joined this forum. Seems great. Very informative. Hopefully I can get some help with my planned move from the UK to Sydney. Hopefully some people out there will have the patience to read this long post.
Basically, I'm moving over with the family in April. Me and my wife (in our thirties), and four kids (aged between 2 and 15). I have a good job with sponsorship sorted and the visa is now just about done. The only real issue is the big one - where to live. I was over working in January and had a look round. I concluded - from driving around and internet research - that I like North Sydney, and really have three options. (i) Near to the North Shore, e.g. Forestville / Frenchs Forest, but I'll need to bus it in to the CBD where I'll be working. (ii) Along the rail line up to Hornsby, which looks like an easy commute, but you don't get as much house for your money. (iii) Further west, either Pennant Hills near the railway, or out in Cherrybrook / West Pennant Hills / Castle Hill, which seem really nice, and I presume you commute by bus into the CBD.
I drove around the first two areas, but didn't know about the third until I looked on this forum when I got back.
I don't mind commuting any way I can into the CBD for up to an hour. The main thing is to have a great family-friendly area, plenty of UK expats, good schools, loads for the kids to do, opportunities for us all, and my wife particularly, to make friends, good shops, etc. The older two kids are particularly into football (soccer) and cricket.
I've heard very good things about Castle Hill but haven't seen it in the flesh.
We'll be renting, really need 5 beds, so all the kids have a room and can share when we have family visitors over. We would love to get a pool and really feel like we've made a life-changing move. We can probably go to $1000'ish per week for rent. Seems like we could get something really nice in Castle Hill.
I like the look (on the internet at least) of the Castle Hill RSL Club, Castle Towers shopping, and just generally the amount seemingly going on in the area for the family to get into, also noting some expat mums on this site meet at the RSL regularly too.
So, in summary, any thoughts/advice? Is Castle Hill likely to be a good move? Could I commute by bus into the CBD in an hour? Would I get a seat on the bus in either/both directions? Would I be better off driving to a station somewhere and getting a train in? Are all the schools good? Given that I will have to pay $4500 per child in school fees anyway, are private schools worth considering (I would never have considered them in the UK)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Stephen.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sydney, Castle Hill?

Do a search on posts by Jacque.

She's a real estate agent and has posted a fair bit on Castle Hill and the rest of the Hills District.

The answers to most of your questions will be in her posts somewhere!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:00 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Stephen

Just noticed that its your first post so you may not be sure how to find members etc so I've done it for you Heres all the posts by Jacque:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=147223

Hope they're useful

Rach xxxx
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Weste is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackLem
Hi. Just joined this forum. Seems great. Very informative. Hopefully I can get some help with my planned move from the UK to Sydney. Hopefully some people out there will have the patience to read this long post.
Basically, I'm moving over with the family in April. Me and my wife (in our thirties), and four kids (aged between 2 and 15). I have a good job with sponsorship sorted and the visa is now just about done. The only real issue is the big one - where to live. I was over working in January and had a look round. I concluded - from driving around and internet research - that I like North Sydney, and really have three options. (i) Near to the North Shore, e.g. Forestville / Frenchs Forest, but I'll need to bus it in to the CBD where I'll be working. (ii) Along the rail line up to Hornsby, which looks like an easy commute, but you don't get as much house for your money. (iii) Further west, either Pennant Hills near the railway, or out in Cherrybrook / West Pennant Hills / Castle Hill, which seem really nice, and I presume you commute by bus into the CBD.
I drove around the first two areas, but didn't know about the third until I looked on this forum when I got back.
I don't mind commuting any way I can into the CBD for up to an hour. The main thing is to have a great family-friendly area, plenty of UK expats, good schools, loads for the kids to do, opportunities for us all, and my wife particularly, to make friends, good shops, etc. The older two kids are particularly into football (soccer) and cricket.
We'll be renting, really need 5 beds, so all the kids have a room and can share when we have family visitors over. We would love to get a pool and really feel like we've made a life-changing move. We can probably go to $1000'ish per week for rent. Seems like we could get something really nice in Castle Hill.
I like the look (on the internet at least) of the Castle Hill RSL Club, Castle Towers shopping, and just generally the amount seemingly going on in the area for the family to get into, also noting some expat mums on this site meet at the RSL regularly too.
So, in summary, any thoughts/advice? Is Castle Hill likely to be a good move? Could I commute by bus into the CBD in an hour? Would I get a seat on the bus in either/both directions? Would I be better off driving to a station somewhere and getting a train in? Are all the schools good? Given that I will have to pay $4500 per child in school fees anyway, are private schools worth considering (I would never have considered them in the UK)?
Regards,
Stephen.
hi Stephen

spotted your message and thought i'd say hi.
we're in v similar position, myself and dh are moving over at the end of the month with our 2 kids (6 and 10). dh will be working in the CBD and we've been looking at the same areas (recommended by our relocation agent), going to have a good look when we get there so no help at the moment to you, but will have lots of useful info soon lol

will be happy to let you know how we get on and help you get info you need
feel free to pm

Em and Mart
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I would definitely be interested in hearing from anyone, especially Em and Mart, who can tell me what they discovered when they investigated The Hills area, and what they think it'd be like for (i) a family; and (ii) a commuter.
I will post my experiences too when I finally get there in April.
Thanks again.
Stephen.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Lots of people on here live around Castle Hill but I'm not sure how often they trawl the general forum. If you look in the meet ups section there's an ongoing thread about "Castle Hill RSL Tuesdays"; I'm sure nobody would mind if you asked a general question there - they can always PM you answers. Most people who live in the Hills really like it; it's very family friendly and the schools are supposed to be good.

French's Forest/Forestville area is really nice and close to the beaches if that's of interest to you (it's a fair trek to the beach from the Hills). There are plenty of schools around there, both public and private. We currently rent in St. Ives which is a very good area with lovely houses, but expensive to buy in and a bit sedate for our liking! OH wanted to commute (CBD) by train which limited out choice of area, but having been here 6 months now he's willing to consider buses. Generally if you're near the train line it's more expensive.

Our 3 kids are in a private school which costs very slightly more than if we were on a 457 visa and had to pay for 3 at state schools. Fee levels vary hugely though so don't get too excited before doing your research
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

vsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nice

Originally Posted by JackLem
Regards,
Stephen.
Hi Stephen,

We lived in the Hills District (suburb called Glenwood) from Jan 2001 to Jan 2005 and then returned back to the UK. We are currently in the process of selling our house in the UK and moving back to Sydney with our 4 year old son. We will definately be moving back to the Hills District and our first choice is Castle Hill.

My husband used to work at the airport and it used to take him around 40 minutes from the Hills District. I used to work in the City and it used to take me around 45 minutes on the train.

We loved Castle Hill and I loved the Castle Towers shopping centre. There are some really nice restaurants in Castle Hill too and it is a very nice suburb to live in. We went to the RSL a couple of times too and it was lovely. Another place close to Castle Hill is Bella Vista. It is a very expensive area to live in but has some really nice shops and restaurants, some of which overlook a lake.

You get good value for money with houses in Castle Hill and the schools in the area are excellent.

If you need any more info, just let me know.

Vanita
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
Do a search on posts by Jacque.

She's a real estate agent and has posted a fair bit on Castle Hill and the rest of the Hills District.

The answers to most of your questions will be in her posts somewhere!
Hi Nicky

Just to clarify I'm not a real estate agent- I'm actually an independent buyers agent- I only work for buyers 100% and therefore do not sell any real estate. My company, House Search, searches for and negotiates on behalf of buyers looking to purchase in Sydney- and I do specialize in the North and North West regions of Sydney. Just wanted to clear that up!

Hi Stephen,

As to your query on Castle Hill $1000 per wk will get you a very decent large home with pool etc so no need to worry about renting. That's definitely the higher end of the renting scale, so you shouldn't have any problems securing something. Also check out nearby West Pennant Hills, Cherrybrook and Baulkham Hills/Bella Vista as they also have some beautiful homes.
Plenty of sporting grounds for the kids, terrific shopping, safe streets and lovely neighbourhoods is what I think is attractive about the Hills.
City bus transport is good and improving daily- check out this site for bus timetables if you need to know which streets are nearest the bus stops. Best of luck and enjoy the move!!

www.hillsbus.com.au
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jacque
Hi Nicky

Just to clarify I'm not a real estate agent- I'm actually an independent buyers agent- I only work for buyers 100% and therefore do not sell any real estate. My company, House Search, searches for and negotiates on behalf of buyers looking to purchase in Sydney- and I do specialize in the North and North West regions of Sydney. Just wanted to clear that up!

Hi Stephen,

As to your query on Castle Hill $1000 per wk will get you a very decent large home with pool etc so no need to worry about renting. That's definitely the higher end of the renting scale, so you shouldn't have any problems securing something. Also check out nearby West Pennant Hills, Cherrybrook and Baulkham Hills/Bella Vista as they also have some beautiful homes.
Plenty of sporting grounds for the kids, terrific shopping, safe streets and lovely neighbourhoods is what I think is attractive about the Hills.
City bus transport is good and improving daily- check out this site for bus timetables if you need to know which streets are nearest the bus stops. Best of luck and enjoy the move!!

www.hillsbus.com.au
Thanks Jacque. I've read through some of your other posts, which has reinforced my view that The Hills would be a great place to move to and bring up my kids.
My only real concern is the commute into the CBD. I have heard that some people drive to a station somewhere, park and get the train. Not sure where that might be, how easy it is to park and how much time it might shave off the commute (if any). I guess my biggest worry is ending up with an hour-long bus commute where I regularly fail to get a seat on an over-crowded bus. I will check the timetables out though. Thanks a lot.