Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney

Moving to Sydney

Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Sydney

Originally Posted by Zen10 View Post
OK thanks. Anyone know what suburbs they mean when they say "Sydney's south west"??
Bankstown, Hurstville and Liverpool usually. Although its mostly all gang related stuff. You are more likely to be targeted in a random attack in Kings Cross given recent events.

There's really nothing wrong with Parramatta as a short term base. Transport links are excellent! Like any city, you need to be careful where you wander off to at night but Himself works there and he goes out drinking on a Friday after work a couple of times a month, never had any problems.

I will second this statement as it really isn't that bad. It has a very European feel with all the roadside cafe's and restaurants etc. The only people I usually here slagging it have never lived there.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed in Manly for a month which was lovely, if a bit noisy. OH commuted to work by ferry!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Check out www.domain.com.au & look for furnished accommodation. I was just thinking tonight as I walked around the city between Central and Town Hall, how I stayed in a furnished flat at the bottom of Oxford St for a few months in 1987. Perfect location, walking distance to the CBD and stations, bus outside the door.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:33 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
There's really nothing wrong with Parramatta as a short term base. Transport links are excellent! Like any city, you need to be careful where you wander off to at night but Himself works there and he goes out drinking on a Friday after work a couple of times a month, never had any problems.
I think 'short term' is the key word here. I understand what Martin says, well on here anyway as its a written word but face to face his accent confuses me

My brief sojuorns to Parra show it to me as a southern european/middle eastern demographic, long ferry journey to CBD and aspirations to be Sydneys next big thing.....I doubt those aspirations will be fulfilled. As for drinks on a Friday night, I'll be moving there with work next year and I honestly dread the thought.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:59 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
My brief sojuorns to Parra show it to me as a southern european/middle eastern demographic, long ferry journey to CBD and aspirations to be Sydneys next big thing.....I doubt those aspirations will be fulfilled. As for drinks on a Friday night, I'll be moving there with work next year and I honestly dread the thought.
I doubt anyone other than tourists take the ferry to the CBD!

I'm sure you'll find it's not half as bad as you're dreading.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:04 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978 View Post
Bankstown, Hurstville and Liverpool usually. Although its mostly all gang related stuff. You are more likely to be targeted in a random attack in Kings Cross given recent events.

I will second this statement as it really isn't that bad. It has a very European feel with all the roadside cafe's and restaurants etc. The only people I usually here slagging it have never lived there.
I used to live in a pretty rough part of London so I know exactly what you mean about it being fine so long as you keep your wits about you.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Parramatta is OK, always been a major centre in Sydney, founded in 1788 I see. Less than half an hour from Central on the Blue Mts train _always seem to be new office and appartment blocks going up as I go thru it on the way from Central to Penrith. With a Westfield shopping centre right opposite the station and plenty of restaurants, even a theatre if you are that way inclined. There are worst places to consider living in Sydney.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:39 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
I doubt anyone other than tourists take the ferry to the CBD!

I'm sure you'll find it's not half as bad as you're dreading.
No, I used to take the ferry there and then get a taxi back (this is when I was living in Manly which was a pain when travelling on Public Transport to that part of the world).
I have actually been there a few times and gone out there on two evenings, I honestly did not rate it but then again maybe people who know the decent places to go would think differently.
All I would say is that I genuinely do not think that soemone's first impression of Sydney would ideally be Parramatta.