Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sydney

Moving to Sydney

Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:57 am
Just Joined

cariad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sydney

Just looking for some information from all you guys in Sydney. I know these questions have been asked before but am just after a little advice. It looks like we will be relocating to Sydney with my OH's job,he will be working in North Ryde area.What I wanted to know was

1. nice suburbs to live around this area,we have a three year old so nice established areas pls.
2.rents are expensive I know,so if any recommendations for places to live further out these would be great too.
3.are there lots of meet ups in the area for people with/without kids?

Everyone has an opinion on what they want from an area I know that. What we want is nice area with parks,walks,playgroups etc with relatively easy commute to OH's job.

Hope someone can help

thanks

C
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:59 am
Just Joined

smoke_n_mirrors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Sydney

Kinda hard from what you have put.

add some more things to your wish list.

you can check rents etc on www.realestate.com.au
and www.domain.com.au

what method of getting to work will he be using

Car, bike, lift, train, bus

Train travel if fairly cheap in sydney, (going by london fares)
so you could live further away, eg by the beach.

James
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:46 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

How much money? Sydney rents are ok.Nicest areas nearby are Hunters Hill and Lane Cove. Otherwise you could look at Pymble and the North Shore line.

You'll find plenty of other parents to meet with when joining playgroups and pre schools.
Originally Posted by cariad
Just looking for some information from all you guys in Sydney. I know these questions have been asked before but am just after a little advice. It looks like we will be relocating to Sydney with my OH's job,he will be working in North Ryde area.What I wanted to know was

1. nice suburbs to live around this area,we have a three year old so nice established areas pls.
2.rents are expensive I know,so if any recommendations for places to live further out these would be great too.

Everyone has an opinion on what they want from an area I know that. What we want is nice area with parks,walks,playgroups etc with relatively easy commute to OH's job.

Hope someone can help

thanks

C
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cariad

Hope someone can help

thanks

C
North Ryde is easy commute from Ryde (buses), Gladesville, Lane Cove and many other subbs. It all depends how much you want to spend. Ryde and West ryde.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:51 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works in North Ryde and we live in McMahons Point. He drives but they recently opened a new train line from Chatswood to Epping so he could in theory take the train now from North Sydney.

The Lower North Shore is a lovely area to live, but you could also look anywhere up the train line to Chatswood and beyond.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

wvink is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
I have similar question as the initiator of this thread!

We are a family with 2.5 kids (pregnant & 2y & 4y) moving to Sydney in november on a 457. What would be a nice area / suburb for us?

- I'll be working in CBD. Ideally i'd live max 40 minutes from office (door-to-door) by use of public transport. (the closer the better!)
- The area should have nice primary schools, some parks/playgrounds. childfriendly.
- Rent: because of LAFTA i could pay up to $1000 per week on rent. A house with only two requirements: (at least) 4 bedrooms and small garden.

My wife has a romantic thought about Manly, but I presume that would be 'a bit' expensive and would take me an hour to go to work? (pls correct me if i am wrong).
I have no clear motivation why i would completelty close out the western part but by just glancing at the map I would prefer to be closer to seaside.

It would be very nice to hear your thougths!!
Thanks
Wim
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:47 am
Just Joined

TheVet will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wvink
Hi there!
I have similar question as the initiator of this thread!

We are a family with 2.5 kids (pregnant & 2y & 4y) moving to Sydney in november on a 457. What would be a nice area / suburb for us?

- I'll be working in CBD. Ideally i'd live max 40 minutes from office (door-to-door) by use of public transport. (the closer the better!)
- The area should have nice primary schools, some parks/playgrounds. childfriendly.
- Rent: because of LAFTA i could pay up to $1000 per week on rent. A house with only two requirements: (at least) 4 bedrooms and small garden.

My wife has a romantic thought about Manly, but I presume that would be 'a bit' expensive and would take me an hour to go to work? (pls correct me if i am wrong).
I have no clear motivation why i would completelty close out the western part but by just glancing at the map I would prefer to be closer to seaside.

It would be very nice to hear your thougths!!
Thanks
Wim
WVINK, If you are working in the CBD then Manly would be an excellent place to live for you and your family. There is nothing nicer than travelling to and from work in the CBD by ferry. I lived there for 3 years and always wished I had a job in the CBD. I worked in Gladesville and that took around an hour by road. Ferry from Manly to CBD takes 30mins. Jetcat 15mins and they run every 30mins or so and extremely reliable. Its wonderful to wind down from the pressures of the day on the ferry to Manly. Manly has a very nice feel that english people love. I lived there 93 - 96 and i revisited it 3 months back and it has got quite sophisticated with lots more eateries and drinking spots. It would make a very nice intro to living in Sydney but the downside may be finances restricting to apartments but with $1000pw you'll be laughing. BTW away from home allowance does not appear as taxable income so its an excellent way to go but would have a time limit of at most 2 years.

Andy
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the cheapest 4-bed property currently available on Domain.com in the Manly area is $1200 a week - and that's an apartment. Houses start around $1400 a week.

You might be better ditching the Manly idea and look at neighbouring suburbs that aren't quite so famous...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheVet
WVINK, If you are working in the CBD then Manly would be an excellent place to live for you and your family. There is nothing nicer than travelling to and from work in the CBD by ferry. I lived there for 3 years and always wished I had a job in the CBD. I worked in Gladesville and that took around an hour by road. Ferry from Manly to CBD takes 30mins. Jetcat 15mins and they run every 30mins or so and extremely reliable. Its wonderful to wind down from the pressures of the day on the ferry to Manly. Manly has a very nice feel that english people love. I lived there 93 - 96 and i revisited it 3 months back and it has got quite sophisticated with lots more eateries and drinking spots. It would make a very nice intro to living in Sydney but the downside may be finances restricting to apartments but with $1000pw you'll be laughing. BTW away from home allowance does not appear as taxable income so its an excellent way to go but would have a time limit of at most 2 years.

Andy
True it would be expensive if you have to have a 4 bedroom house. Would a 3 bedroom apartment suffice?
Fairlight is also close - you can still walk to manly ferry terminal.
Better value for money there.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:00 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I try not to be rude as we all have different tastes but I really don't get the attraction of Manly.

BTW Vet, the ferry situation changed. Don't know the exact details but think they axed the Jetcat.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seasider
I try not to be rude as we all have different tastes but I really don't get the attraction of Manly.

BTW Vet, the ferry situation changed. Don't know the exact details but think they axed the Jetcat.
Well if the Jetcat has gone that is not a big loss. There's ample capacity on the ferries. I rarely used ithe Jetcat. You couldnt sit outside, it was more expensive and didnt give enough time to relax.

Last edited by TheVet; Sep 3rd 2009 at 1:48 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

wvink is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reactions!

Fairlight will be tough when 40 minutes is the max door2door travel time.
PRobably i'll have to look south of the 'splitbridge' (Google map rocks!).
What would you say of Balmoral, Spit Junction, Mosman and Clifton Gardens ?

I really don't want to do concession to rent price. 1000 pw is the absolute max, as i'd like to spend some money on other things in life.
With two young kids a house with (small) garden is preferred over appartements.
Would be nice if you got some advice
Thanks

Wim
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Hi there!

Thanks
Wim
Whats Lafta?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:05 pm
Auntie Fa

LAFHA
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reactions!

Fairlight will be tough when 40 minutes is the max door2door travel time.
PRobably i'll have to look south of the 'splitbridge' (Google map rocks!).
What would you say of Balmoral, Spit Junction, Mosman and Clifton Gardens ?

I really don't want to do concession to rent price. 1000 pw is the absolute max, as i'd like to spend some money on other things in life.
With two young kids a house with (small) garden is preferred over appartements.
Would be nice if you got some advice
Thanks

Wim
You've chosen the most expensive part of the city. No 4 bed houses for $1000 a week there I'm afraid. You'll need to go much further north.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.